“Rooms ok but meal disappointing”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights. Room 209 was a twin, due to age of hotel the floors were very uneven. Unfortunately this makes the beds even more noisy than they were already. Stayed with my mum and both of us struggled to sleep between the noisy beds and the traffic noise from the road. However we had a lovely time in Harrogate and the rooms were a bargain from spaseekers so you get what you pay for. The disappointment was with our meal. Mine, seabass in lemon sauce was small but the issue was the veg that came with it, is it just me or was braised red cabbage with winter spice(basically tasted like Christmas chutney) was too over powering for a delicate fish and citrus sauce. My mothers meal, a mixed grill was massive but so salty it was unpleasant. The waitress did give her a free pudding but it didn't really make up for such a horrid meal which still came to over 50 pounds. My advice would be to eat elsewhere.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry that your stay was not an entire success, for which I can only apologise .I am genuinely sorry for the shortfalls in standards you have highlighted in relation to your evening meal and I have of course highlighted your comments to the Head Chef.I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given also.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.
Thank you once again for your feedback
Nick Henry

Write a ReviewReviews (1,874)

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Whilst some areas of the Hotel and the furnishings were shabby, the bed was very comfortable and the room temperature ideal. Service was good, dinner and breakfast excellent. The Hotel location right in the town centre and across from Betty's couldn't be beaten, and parking is available.

Room Tip: Lovely view across the gardens in rooms at the front.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed some aspects of your stay with us. I particular how much you had enjoyed dining experience and that you felt looked after by the team. I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given thank you.
I do hope you choose to stay with us again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

This is our fifth winter weekend away at The Yorkshire hotel. We love the location which is perfect for enjoying the shops and restaurants in Harrogate. The hotel team are very friendly and always have a cheery manner.
Our Travelzoo package was excellent value for money and included a bottle of wine with dinner on the first night.

We managed to park right outside the main entrance and had an early check in - Thank You! We were in room 211 this weekend, lovely large room but as the weather turned wintry, so did the temperature in our room. We have always found the rooms to be a little on the chilly side so were prepared with a hot water bottle.

We enjoyed the delicious evening meal and if we had to make a negative comment it would be that we prefer more vegetables, but what we had was perfectly cooked, presented and served.

The breakfast buffet has a wide variety of options, however we did note that the hot items were popular and seemed to require topping up quite often. We had the ham, cheese, fresh fruit option and of which there was a plentiful supply of very nice quality foods.

The restaurant team work very hard with limited numbers of colleagues and do a very good job, something's are worth waiting for, so enjoy a leisurely breakfast.

Thanks for a relaxing weekend, we will be back.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.
I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed another stay with us; it is always great to read comments such as yours and it gives me particular pleasure to read comments about the team as they are our greatest asset. I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given thank you for providing a balance review of the Yorkshire.
I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Booked this hotel through Expedia and was not sure what to expect for a bargain price. When we arrived the hotel looks lovely from outside in a wonderful old building. We had arrived early and I went into reception to ask about parking, I was given a permit for free parking outside the hotel for the duration of our stay. Went back to check in later and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was nice, clean and the facilities were fine. We were front facing, looking out over trees and gardens and even Betty's tea room! We didn't eat in the hotel until breakfast, which was freshly cooked and delicious. I would definitely recommend and stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room when you book.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank sara f

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We booked an amazing deal through Travelzoo. Including Dinner, wine and breakfast. Having lived in Harrogate for 20 years and recently moved to Scotland, this was a short trip to see Aggers and Boycott @ The Royal Hall. We arrived expecting the usual lack of interest displayed to "bargain" site bookers. What a pleasant change to meet someone on reception who could actually be bothered to communicate, knew exactly what deal we were entitled to and checked us in without fuss. We needed to eat dinner early to get to the show, having, asked the manager if we could get started as soon as the 6:30 bistro opening time arrived, he said " well we can start now if it helps (18:10). The staff again all knew the details of the deal, no need for us to request anything. We had an excellent meal, relaxed but professionally delivered with courtesy and quickly. The room was clean spacious and had everything you would expect. We sat after the show with family from Harrogate and enjoyed night porter service through until 01:30. Breakfast was easy, good quality, good selection and again served with a quiet caring confidence by all the staff. We checked out late... no quibbles about the bill, right first time, which is not the norm for hoteliers trying to claw back some of the "give away" to bargain bookers. We felt as though the staff were working as a well drilled team, knew what they had to do, did it, smiled and left us thinking that The Yorkshire Hotel would be top of the list for future stays. Believe me having lived in Harrogate for 20 years there are a lot of pretentious over priced hotels with over bearing, snooty staff who can't be bothered in Harrogate hotels. This is an exception. They deserved to be "full" for the whole weekend, and managed to continue to give great service with a smile. Thanks we will be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent comments on the trip advisor website. I was very happy to read that overall you had a great stay with us and how much you had enjoyed experience and that you felt looked after by the team. I was also very pleased to read about your experience in the hope it may help overcome others readers apprehensions. It is unfortunate that in general guest are often quicker to give negative feedback rather than positive on such sites such as this. I thank you for keeping an open mind and taking the time to make a positive review.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed here in mid January 2014. The auguries weren't great during the booking process which was not terribly efficient once I was actually able to get someone to speak to. On arrival the staff had a somewhat 'laid back' approach, including regularly referring to us two middle aged business men on a business trip as 'darling'!

My room was very large in the bedroom section, but the bathroom was little more than a narrow corridor with a bath dumped at the darkened end. The heater in the room was little larger than my laptop and emitted an output for which the term 'zephyr' would be stretching it greatly. I ended up having to wear my T-Shirt in bed to keep myself warm.

Breakfast in the morning is set up in the hallway between the dining room and the lobby, which is somewhat odd.

It's all a shame because the building has great potential. FWIW, my two colleagues had no complaints so maybe next time just avoid room 208!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Stevenage_Jim

Thank you for your comments on the tripadvisor website. We offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money for. It is always disappointing to read that someone has not enjoyed their stay for which I am genuinely sorry. I was however surprised by your comments relating to the reception team. We rarely receive negative feedback relating to any member of staff so I can therefore say that this is very much indeed the exception to the rule and I apologise.I was pleased to read that your colleagues had no complaints.
Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

my husband an i had a lovely 3 nights at yorkshire hotel harrogate
an old hotel full character and charm
as soon as we landed in reception we were made to feel very welcome
tea coffee etc. the room was very nicely decorated large room
and very good value for money food was excellent breakfast
and evening meal couldn't wish for more and such good value for money
we stayed january 2014 just got back and couldn't wait to say a very big thank you
to the yorkshire hotel staff xx b & s from windermere

Room Tip: the room we stayed in was on the front face room 206 cannot go wrong lovely large room
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank belinda d

Thank you for your recent comments on the trip advisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a great stay with us and how much you had enjoyed experience and that you felt looked after by the team. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.