“Doesn't compare to Premier Inn!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Yorkshire Hotel

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Doesn't compare to Premier Inn!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Arrived at the hotel on Saturday with my adult daughter. A bit of a special trip as we don't go away together more than once a year so a bit of a treat. Initially allocated room 413 and on seeing the room our spirits plummeted. It was a twin room but to be honest you wouldn't buy any of the furniture in a second hand shop The wall around the heater was also badly marked. A round table which was badly marked and scuffed and two chairs which had seen better days didn't help the experience. I quietly complained and was offered 402 which was described as an inferior room, smaller and no outward looking window. This in fact was smaller and darker although this was no bad thing! I can't say it was much better but had been told the hotel was full so no other alternative could be offered. The shower wasn't good either and breakfast just about acceptable. We are both vegetarian and had poached eggs. No other real choice. Me and husband had spent the previous Friday, Sunday and Wednesday nights in Premier Inns and all were much better experiences. For I think the £82 it cost for the night I would have rather stayed at home.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fossielig
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
We are all so sorry that you and your daughter were so disappointed on your treat getaway. We do know that some of the rooms need some TLC and having just taken the hotel over from the previous management company we aim to begin improving the rooms. We know how important it is to have a good shower, so when we improve the rooms, we will also look at the bathrooms and improve them where we can. The breakfast menu is soon to be replaced and will reflect a much greater choice for our vegetarian guests.
The Yorkshire Hotel is a grand historic hotel but in need of much over- due improvement, we do hope that over the coming months you will give us another chance to ensure you have a great time

Please call me personally when you want to come back. I hope to hear from you soon

Chris Dobson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Great spot in town opposite Betty's and overlooking The Stray. Staff very friendly and helpful. The Manager very professional and friendly. Food very good. Hotel slightly tired but very 'Harrogate'. Very Clean and Superb Value. We didn't travel far but will definately go again. Great spot for a few days and on train line to York.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had a great stay with us, and how much you had enjoyed dining experience. I am extremely pleased you felt looked after by the team during your time with us they are our very best asset.On a personal note thank you for your kind words also.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed here with an adult family group for a wedding.Great central location,walking distance from the station about 7minutes.This hotel is opposite the famous Betty's tearooms and just round the corner from the main shopping centre.Lovely friendly,helpful reception staff give you a warm welcome.Rooms are comfortable and clean,but it has to be said have seen better days,the decor could do with up-dating.After the wedding reception we all returned to the hotel for drinks.The bar and restaurant were lively,people obviously enjoying the food and atmosphere.We didnt want to dine and took our drinks in the comfy lounge area.We would have liked some light snacks ie crisps,nuts etc,nothing heavy as we had already eaten at the wedding,but where told nothing was available,shame.The breakfast in the morning was however excellent,and again the staff where extremely helpful and welcoming.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front of the hotel have views over the parkland,but you may hear traffic noise.
1 Thank Sp H
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that overall you had enjoyed your stay with us. . I am extremely pleased you felt looked after by the team during your time with us they are our very best asset.

Marske by Sea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

Stayed at the Hotel for one night with Travel-zoo voucher. Fantastic value. Yes the hotel rooms may need some updating but they are very clean, warm and comfortable. The staff are extremely pleasant and helpful and the meals in the brasserie are first class. Our room was on the corner overlooking the senotaph with windows on both sides so the views were lovely. The Hotel is in the middle of Harrogate so you can walk to the shops and the places of interest. Would definitely recommend this hotel and there are proper keys with a fob for your room! Quite nostalgic!

Room Tip: Room 312 is a corner room and has lovely views with windows on both sides.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent comments on tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us. In particular how much you had enjoyed your experience in the HG1 and I was also extremely pleased to read that you felt looked after by the team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

The Yorkshire hotel have lost our custom as my husband and I have been calling them to book our weekend away for 5 days now, we have been told that their system is down and we were told 3 times someone will call us back and no-one did!! We were also told to call a reservations number and were fobbed off their too! Very bad customer service! Very bad communication! Are they going bust??? I just wonder because I've never known any hotel to just dismiss custom before, we will be staying at the Majestic, also in Harrogate but a world away from the Yorkshire hotel and the staff that don't care....

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stacey2284
Thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry that your experience was not as it should have been. It is regrettable that your disappointment was not brought to my attention sooner. The reason for inexcusable experience was 3 fold. Firstly the setup of new IT system locally at hotel level. Secondly a change of our central reservation location and thirdly clearly poor internal and external communication which compounded your negative experience further.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.
Thank you once again for your feedback

Nick Henry

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

My wife and I booked a couple of nights in the Yorkshire during January this year for our first experience of Harrogate. If you accept that this is a mid-nineteenth century hotel, you'll be fine here. Yes, the floorboards creek and the decor in some of the rooms is dated but it's very clean, very comfortable and very friendly. What's more, a hotel couldn't be better placed for a trip to this very pleasant town.

The restaurant and Hg1 bar on the ground floor are great and surprisingly busy in the evening. If you walk out of the rear door of Hg1 you literally fall into three more great bars and a restaurant.

Won't hesitate to book the Yorkshire again, and soon I hope!

Great places to eat and drink: Weatherspoons Winter Gardens, the biggest and best we've been in. Banyan, Piano and Pitcher and the Alexandra, all pubs on the back lane, great! The Den on Cambridge Road and Hales Bar near the Pump Museum. If you miss breakfast try the Cambridge Cafe, fantastic little place run by a lovely Chinese family who serve up a very satisfying Full English. Shalimar Indian restaurant on Cheltenham parade great for a late night meal.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyed the service during your stay and that you felt looked after by the team. I appreciate your incite in to the property and I thank you for providing some balance and understanding in your review of the Yorkshire.

Bolsover, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights. Room 209 was a twin, due to age of hotel the floors were very uneven. Unfortunately this makes the beds even more noisy than they were already. Stayed with my mum and both of us struggled to sleep between the noisy beds and the traffic noise from the road. However we had a lovely time in Harrogate and the rooms were a bargain from spaseekers so you get what you pay for. The disappointment was with our meal. Mine, seabass in lemon sauce was small but the issue was the veg that came with it, is it just me or was braised red cabbage with winter spice(basically tasted like Christmas chutney) was too over powering for a delicate fish and citrus sauce. My mothers meal, a mixed grill was massive but so salty it was unpleasant. The waitress did give her a free pudding but it didn't really make up for such a horrid meal which still came to over 50 pounds. My advice would be to eat elsewhere.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry that your stay was not an entire success, for which I can only apologise .I am genuinely sorry for the shortfalls in standards you have highlighted in relation to your evening meal and I have of course highlighted your comments to the Head Chef.I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given also.
Thank you once again for your feedback