“Central Location, Honourable Cleaners!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Yorkshire Hotel

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Central Location, Honourable Cleaners!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Central location within Harrogate parking nightmare as we arrived late afternoon all spaces had been occupied within this on way town, we found alternative parking. Upon arrive on the reception staff welcoming and helpful rooms basic value for money. We stayed for one night, a couple of hours after checkout I released that I had left my mobile I the room so ran back to the hotel to find the cleaner had bagged my mobile ready to take to reception extremely trust worthy cleaners.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel-GManager, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Sammylol,
Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us recently on this website. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to read that our lost property procedure works and you got your phone back straight away. I hope that you can continue to enjoy all that the Yorkshire Hotel has to offer in the future.
Robert Warren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Bridlington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Thankfully the majority of our time was spent out of the hotel...

Our room on the second floor was ridiculously hot with little ventilation. The mattress was lumpy and the pillows resembled a Tesco carrier bag.

The bedding was dated and poor quality and the bathroom was also dated although on a positive note it was at least clean.

On the way up the stairs on arrival, we noticed a half eaten biscuit which I had to step around...it was also present upon our departure!

Breakfast was average at best. I certainly would not recommend this hotel especially at over £100 per night.

The only positive notes were the location of the hotel and we managed to secure a parking space directly outside.

On speaking to a local resident nearby, she described the hotel as jaded...I would wholeheartedly agree with this.

Dear Mark S,
We are really sorry to read about the way you feel about your recent visit as we aim to provide great facilities to all of guests. Apologies for the standard of bedroom you had whilst staying in the hotel I wish that you had raised this during your stay as we always try and resolve any shortfalls that our customers raise.
Robert Warren

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Nice view from the front, reception ok bar area and restaurant very nice but the room very disappointing almost ancient needs a refurb I paid 108.00 for one night with breakfast the furniture was old and fading the bed sqeeked all the time you moved the floor boards were the same you felt like the next doors were in your room. It was very small and you could hear every movement of everyone else to say it is an old hotel you would think it had thicker walls but no not true staff friendly but the hotel so dated and expensive for what you get I know Harrogate is a lovely and expensive town but this hotel is ripping people off I would return to Harrogate but not to that hotel sorry you need to man up and refurb

Room Tip: No wifi for us even though it said free wifi we were unable to connect the tv even said bad signal
1 Thank Deborah19632014
Hotel-GManager, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Deborah,
We are really sorry to read about the way you feel about your recent visit as we aim to provide great service and facilities to all of guests. Apologies for the standard of bedroom you had whilst staying in the Hotel. I wish you had raised these concerns with me or a member of the management team as we would have tried to resolve the issue. We took over the operating of the Yorkshire Hotel in the early part of 2014 and we certainly over the next few years know we have to invest a lot of time and money so it will finally set us apart in Harrogate.

Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for tour de France No parking during our stay so had to go on the train.It cost us 364 pounds for two nights.We had a room on the 4th floor very dark ,only lamps,furniture needs updating.We thought we may be able to watch from the hotel balcony but you had to pay 200 pounds which included lunch.We returned to the hotel during the morning to use the toilet and make a cup of tea,we used the lift but came back down the stairs,and was asked if we came back would we use the lift so we would not pass the people having lunch. My reply was we had paid a lot of money to stay there,the lady did apologize.The cooked breakfast was buffet style but was cold..Very disappointed.

Dear renee w
We are really sorry to read about the way you feel about your recent visit as we aim to provide great service and facilities to all of guests. As you know the Hotel was some 100 yards away from the finishing line so we were informed for security reasons the car park had to be free of cars for the Friday & Saturday. There was no charge to stand on our ground floor balcony if you were a resident however a private company had taken the suites on the 1st floor which they were then selling hospitality packages.
Thank you for your comments.
Huthwaite
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The staff are lovely but we had a room on the fourth floor and the lighting was awful. There are only 2 lamps and 2 bed lights and no decent light anywhere. It was impossible to do hair or make-up. The bathroom had a 4 bar heated towel rail which had no switch off so being a warm weekend it helped heat an already stuffy room. We had gone for the Tour de France so the hotel location was perfect but it is very tired.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Hotel-GManager, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear ROs55
Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us recently on this website. We are delighted that you found the team to be lovely but disappointing that the lighting and towel rail let the room down. I hope you enjoyed the Tour de France certainly having the finishing line only a few feet away from the hotel made it feel really special. I hope that you can continue to enjoy all that the Yorkshire Hotel has to offer in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Cranfield, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Great position in a lovely town. But oh, so tired. And oh, so expensive. I stayed here for two nights anticipating a great experience as part of the Tour de France visiting Yorkshire. I was severely disappointed. The room cost me £180 a night. It was poky and there was very little else to be positive about. The furniture was poor quality with the veneer flaking off the table and the bedside cabinet. There was virtually no room to walk between the end of the bed and the end of the room. Old-style sash windows, peeling paint, worn carpets throughout - absolutely dreadful. I asked for a newspaper to be delivered to my room. No chance - I had to go out and get it myself.

Very little was offered in terms of service. Nobody really cared. The breakfast was standard buffet style, and it was OK, but I had to ask for coffee and toast. I didn't eat any other meals there, so can't comment on the quality of the restaurant.

On a more positive note, the bed was comfortable and long enough (I'm quite tall). The water was hot, but the facilities were so basic overall. This hotel is in need of serious investment - if it gets this, it could be a winner. As it is now, it is an absolute disgrace.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Chris W
Dear Chris W,
I hope you enjoyed the Tour de France here in Yorkshire and hopefully be the time the tour de Yorkshire comes in May 2015 you will give us another chance.
Pershore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

If it's all about the location then this hotel ticks all the boxes. Less than a five minute walk from the station (ignore the google map directions) - exit left out of the main station entrance, turn right down James St then turn left at the end on to Prospect Place and the hotel is on your left. The hotel is an old building so there are creaky floorboards and yes the lift is compact and bijou and does jolt to a rather alarming stop at each floor but for what the room charge is here its absolutely fine. My room was very spacious, rather sparse in furnishings but had a lovely view of the Stray and out over the town to the moors beyond. (unfortunately for me some rather drunken young men decided the Stray was perfect for a game of very loud football at 4am in the morning but that's not the hotel's fault - although I did wonder if the front Stray facing rooms may be noisy of a weekend) It was comfy rather than luxury but this hotel is not promoting itself as luxury. The bathroom was large and yes could do with a refit but it was spotlessly clean and did everything it needed to. Free Wi-Fi is a bonus and for me a hairdryer which is not nailed to the inside of a drawer is also a godsend! Harrogate was gearing up for the Tour de France and many roads were being closed but the hotel did their utmost to minimise the disruption. The staff were friendly, the location superb and I would definitely return. If as another reviewer has mentioned you are expecting the Dorchester you will be disappointed if you want location, tradition and a warm and friendly welcome then it is perfect.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are spacious but sparse, fine for a business trip but I think one of the signature r...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Bridie73
Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us recently on this website. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that you can continue to enjoy all that the Yorkshire Hotel has to offer in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.