“Perfectly Situated and very helpful staff.”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Booked an midweek overnight stay for my partners Birthday, i chose a featured room overlooking the front of the hotel and i wasnt disapointed with the view. i had requested a high room when i booked and after reading the reviews that the room size varies i rang central reservations to ask for large room like was advertised on the website. The receptioninst that was on duty when we arrived was very nice, we arrived early and couldnt check in. I had taken cake, bubbly, baloons, presents etc to decorate the room and she said she would make sure they were put out for me and put the bubbly on ice with glasses. The room was on the 5th floor and was very large and spacious, and she had decorated it lovely for me, however because the room had sash windows they had a height restriction but unfortunaly slid down when we tried opening them, i did however have the cake and candle box to wedge them open, the room was very hot but when we requested a fan they obliged. The furniture in the room could have done with abit of modernisation esp the bathroom, (again very spacious but dated and basic and the windows were painted shut so we couldnt open them). Overall we had a lovely stay, it was very reasonably priced for the location and the staff were very helpfull. The hotel was perfectly located for the shops, bars and parks.

Room Tip: Book a high featured room overlooking Harrogate
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel-GManager, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear anne h,
Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us recently on this website. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that you can continue to enjoy all that the Yorkshire Hotel has to offer in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for The Yorkshire Hotel

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the Tour de France for 3 nights - we were on the third floor, a small creaky corner room, but which gave a great view of the road and a lovely war memorial. It was a good location, and met our needs as we were there for the race and had no transport. But - it was very hot at night, the toilet leaked, and it was also very noisey with locals and police outside at night. The food was ok, but the service was amateur, bordering poor. A cheese board was served with lots of nice cheese - and only 3 small crackers, I asked for some more but they didn't arrive. This happened again on our third evening meal, and after asking for a second time for more crackers, received some. Breakfast was self service buffet style, with only scrambled eggs available as 'they were too busy' to do any other style, but was hit and miss temperature wize - ran out of cornflakes and went off to get more but did not come back! I can accept that Yorkshire was busy at this time, but surely this should be taken into account when accepting bookings? Wifi was down for a whole evening and this was most inconvenient. For the price paid, I was disappointed.

Room Tip: Away from the lift, and if a light sleeper, away from the front.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Debs_Cain

Dear Debs_n_Gray,
We are really sorry to read about the way you feel about your recent visit as we aim to provide great service to all of guests. Apologies for the standard of meals you had whilst staying in the Hotel I can assure you that these are not our usual level of service and I will be taking this up with the F&B team so thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I hope you enjoyed the Tour de France here in Yorkshire and hopefully be the time the tour de Yorkshire comes in May 2015 you will give us another chance to prove that the issues you raised are a thing of the past.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and I have just spent two nights at the Yorkshire Hotel and we were very happy. Started off in room 314, so hot and ooppressive and wwe didn't sleep well. Reception changed our room to 313 - fantastic. Staff were really lovely and polite. Very happy stay and hope to return.

Dear margann,

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Central location within Harrogate parking nightmare as we arrived late afternoon all spaces had been occupied within this on way town, we found alternative parking. Upon arrive on the reception staff welcoming and helpful rooms basic value for money. We stayed for one night, a couple of hours after checkout I released that I had left my mobile I the room so ran back to the hotel to find the cleaner had bagged my mobile ready to take to reception extremely trust worthy cleaners.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sammylol,
Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us recently on this website. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to read that our lost property procedure works and you got your phone back straight away. I hope that you can continue to enjoy all that the Yorkshire Hotel has to offer in the future.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Thankfully the majority of our time was spent out of the hotel...

Our room on the second floor was ridiculously hot with little ventilation. The mattress was lumpy and the pillows resembled a Tesco carrier bag.

The bedding was dated and poor quality and the bathroom was also dated although on a positive note it was at least clean.

On the way up the stairs on arrival, we noticed a half eaten biscuit which I had to step around...it was also present upon our departure!

Breakfast was average at best. I certainly would not recommend this hotel especially at over £100 per night.

The only positive notes were the location of the hotel and we managed to secure a parking space directly outside.

On speaking to a local resident nearby, she described the hotel as jaded...I would wholeheartedly agree with this.

Dear Mark S,
We are really sorry to read about the way you feel about your recent visit as we aim to provide great facilities to all of guests. Apologies for the standard of bedroom you had whilst staying in the hotel I wish that you had raised this during your stay as we always try and resolve any shortfalls that our customers raise.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Nice view from the front, reception ok bar area and restaurant very nice but the room very disappointing almost ancient needs a refurb I paid 108.00 for one night with breakfast the furniture was old and fading the bed sqeeked all the time you moved the floor boards were the same you felt like the next doors were in your room. It was very small and you could hear every movement of everyone else to say it is an old hotel you would think it had thicker walls but no not true staff friendly but the hotel so dated and expensive for what you get I know Harrogate is a lovely and expensive town but this hotel is ripping people off I would return to Harrogate but not to that hotel sorry you need to man up and refurb

Room Tip: No wifi for us even though it said free wifi we were unable to connect the tv even said bad signal
1  Thank Deborah19632014
Hotel-GManager, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Deborah,
We are really sorry to read about the way you feel about your recent visit as we aim to provide great service and facilities to all of guests. Apologies for the standard of bedroom you had whilst staying in the Hotel. I wish you had raised these concerns with me or a member of the management team as we would have tried to resolve the issue. We took over the operating of the Yorkshire Hotel in the early part of 2014 and we certainly over the next few years know we have to invest a lot of time and money so it will finally set us apart in Harrogate.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for tour de France No parking during our stay so had to go on the train.It cost us 364 pounds for two nights.We had a room on the 4th floor very dark ,only lamps,furniture needs updating.We thought we may be able to watch from the hotel balcony but you had to pay 200 pounds which included lunch.We returned to the hotel during the morning to use the toilet and make a cup of tea,we used the lift but came back down the stairs,and was asked if we came back would we use the lift so we would not pass the people having lunch. My reply was we had paid a lot of money to stay there,the lady did apologize.The cooked breakfast was buffet style but was cold..Very disappointed.

Dear renee w
We are really sorry to read about the way you feel about your recent visit as we aim to provide great service and facilities to all of guests. As you know the Hotel was some 100 yards away from the finishing line so we were informed for security reasons the car park had to be free of cars for the Friday & Saturday. There was no charge to stand on our ground floor balcony if you were a resident however a private company had taken the suites on the 1st floor which they were then selling hospitality packages.
Thank you for your comments.