“Great location, good food, shame about the room”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Great location, good food, shame about the room”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at The Yorkshire Hotel for one night. Rooms were quite expensive (£100+) and it wasn't too much more to upgrade to bed, breakfast and dinner in a feature room so that's what we did.

The hotel is in a fabulous location; right in the town centre and next to Betty's. The reception area was very pleasant and made a very good first impression. The lifts were in working order but were like being on a fairground ride - they're a bit quick and come to an abrupt halt so hold on tight!

I was disappointed when I stepped out of the lift. The corridor to our room was shabby and the carpets were stained - a stark contrast to the reception area. My disappointment grew when we entered our room. It was smaller than expected and the bathroom was rather tatty with peeling paintwork. If that was a feature room then I wouldn't like to stay in a standard room. If I pay over £100 for a one night stay then I expect the room to be in a good state of repair and decoration at the very least. On a positive note, the room did have the expected facilities (adequate storage, tea / coffee, hairdryer, trouser press and toiletries). The best feature of the room was the position: situated on a corner it had windows on 2 walls and overlooked Betty's.

I grumbled a bit about the room not being worth what we had paid for, however stopped grumbling as soon as we went for dinner. The restaurant was lovely, the staff were courteous and a 3 course meal was included in the price! The food was absolutely beautiful and the wine was reasonably priced. We ended our evening in the hotel bar which was very smart and a nice place to enjoy a glass of wine.

I did not sleep particularly well as it was quite noisy outside, however if you stay so close to town then noise is to be expected. Breakfast was buffet style and was good.

Overall summary:
Good points: location, staff, food.
Bad points: condition and quality of room in relation to price paid - it really wouldn't cost much to spruce up the room we stayed in.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel-GManager, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Lisa 0
We are really sorry to read about the way you feel about your recent visit as we aim to provide great facilities to all of guests. We are all sorry to read about your bedroom, all the points you have raised have all been noted. I was delighted to read that the Food & Beverage team did so well in looking after you at dinner and breakfast. Thank you for your comments.
Robert Warren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed here several times over summer. The location is great, right in the centre of Harrogate. I stayed in various ' feature' rooms. They were all large and overlooked the gardens. One drawback was the traffic noise. The rooms were in need of some refurbishment and cleaning could have been better- what looked like dogs hairs in one room but for the price I paid, it was acceptable and I would stay again, if in Harrogate.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear FSMorecambe,
Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us recently on this website. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, your comments regards Housekeeping have been discussed and passed onto the team. I hope that you can continue to enjoy all that the Yorkshire Hotel has to offer.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel is in a great location and is ideal as a basic place to sleep and wash, but not for spending much time in. I wish I had read the comments here before our stay as I would have asked for a refurbished room. We were clearly not in one. We had a family room, which was a good size for 2 adults and 2 small children. It was cleanish, but there was some dust on the standing lampshade and lots of 'bits' on the floor and couches. Also the toilet was a bit smelly. The windows were filthy outside and in the frames, not sure how clean or not they were on the inside due to the filth outside!
The bathroom was in serious disrepair, with rubble between the tiles where the grout should have been, a huge crack in the sink which was smeared with some green stuff, also a big stain of something in the bath.
Walls of the rooms must be very thin as I was woken in the morning by the man and woman in the room next door having a conversation. They didn't seem to be talking in extra raised voices, but I could hear them clearly.
The room had been booked for the four of us but there was only a double and a single bed made up. When we realised the sofa was a sofa bed, I asked at reception for it to be made up and also passed on my concerns about the cleanliness of the room. The lady on reception was lovely and did her best to spruce up the room and make it smell better. It was much more welcoming on our return from tea.
The staff were all very pleasant and friendly and its a shame the rooms don't match up to the quality of staff. To the reviewer who thinks all people who give the hotel a poor review are from another planet, they obviously stayed in a room which was not in as poor disrepair as ours, lucky them. For the price of the room, I would not stay again purely because of the state of the room. This is a shame as the staff and location are perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gail n
Dear gail n,
We are really sorry to read about the way you feel about your recent visit as we aim to provide great service and facilities to all of guests. We are currently putting together a 3 year plan for the Hotel in terms of what areas from a refurbishment point of view that we need to undertake and this work should be starting towards the end of this year so exciting times ahead.
Robert Warren

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Chorley, Lancashire
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I had originally booked this hotel back in October 2013 and I had read all the reviews since then. The hotel has also changed hands since I booked. I had done my research and picked this hotel based on location, free parking and free wifi.

The hotel was good. It does need a bit of TLC in places, but I didn't pay The Ritz prices so wasn't expecting The Ritz.

Hotel Reception is nice and the staff are very helpful and even had to answer a few odd questions while we were waiting to check in!

We arrived on Saturday before 12 noon and got a parking space out front. We got our parking permit and went exploring until we could check in at 2pm.

Our room was fine (404). Nice and large and the bathroom was clean. Towels were a bit old and some had stains on them, but there were extra towels in the wardrobe. Our room was at the front of the hotel overlooking the Stray, lovely view.

Beds were a bit hard and the mattresses have seen better days, but I believe that the new management are in the process of resolving this.

We didn't eat in the hotel, so I am unable to comment on the food.

Parking was good (free) and wifi was good (free). With the wifi you are given a code which lasts 24 hours, so if you are staying more than one night, you will have to contact reception for another code.

The location of this hotel is perfect and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are best if you wish to be away from the noise of the bars out the b...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Munchkin 1975,
Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us recently on this website. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, your comments are really appreciated by all the team. I hope that you can continue to enjoy all that the Yorkshire Hotel has to offer.
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We got here at 4 pm, got to our floor, to find room cleaning was still going on and bags of dirty laundry in the hall, we got to our room, not bad but while hubby was sitting on the chair, looked under bed to find somebody's tablets! So room not been cleaned that well. Bathroom sink was cracked badly,but gallons of hot water. We went to go down in the lift, it arrived but we couldn't get in as it was full of dirty washing so had to wait for it to be empty and come back up!!! Not bad but not good.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Coaster21
We are really sorry to read about the way you feel about your recent visit as we aim to provide great service and facilities to all of guests. We are all sorry to read about your experience, I met on Wednesday with the company who we outsource our bedroom cleaning to and shared your experience with them as I find it unacceptable they are now working hard to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you for your comments.
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

After reading some mixed reviews we contacted the hotel and asked for a quiet room which had been refurbished. We stayed here on the 4th Aug in room 207 and the room had an updated bathroom and a new bed. There was a lovely view across to the gardens, there was some traffic noise, which is only to be expected in a city centre hotel. but we did not find it intrusive. Self service breakfast was fine but we did not use the restaurant in the evening, choosing to go out instead. The staff were pleasant and helpful and we were able to park right outside the hotel free of charge for the entire stay. We would be happy to return and to recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have the best views and are quieter the higher floor you are on.
Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear gill510,
Calabasas, CA
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The hotel exterior created expectations which the hotel failed to meet. Rooms were tiny, lacking adequate space to open two suitcases. Carpet in the halls and rooms was worn and dirty, and the unevenness of the floor under the carpet gave concern as to the condition of the underlying structure. In July, the room was very hot, with A/C that did not work. Since we opened on to an inner courtyard, there was no breeze. Internet was advertised as being available, but did not work. The toilet ran continuously, and we were advised there was no maintenance person on duty. It was noisy enough to prevent sleep. On a positive note, the dining room was well appointed and the food was good. Reception staff was pleasant and helpful. Still, overall we found the hotel to be sub-par.

Room Tip: Avoid courtyard facing rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hotel-GManager, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear OTCarter1
We are really sorry to read about the way you feel about your recent visit as we aim to provide great service and facilities to all of guests. We are all sorry to read about your experience I do wish that you had raised your bedroom concerns with me whilst you were here as we would have tried our best to have addressed these issues. I was delighted to read your comments about the team and the food. Thank you for your comments.