“Excellent Staff and stay, thank you” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Yorkshire Hotel

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Stafford
“Excellent Staff and stay, thank you”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

This was my 3rd stay at the Yorkshire with a club and as ever found the staff to be as helpful and friendly as they always are. The room was fine and much warmer this time. The food was great at all times though closer eye on the breakfast food may be prudent as not always topped up when ran out. Parking can be an issue because it is evident that shoppers use the car park and collect their cars later as is very close to the shops. The staff do there best but obviously cannot police the car park all the time! This a small issue however and plenty of alternative parking available close by until a space becomes available.

Thank you again and hope to see you again at some point.

• Stayed January 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2011
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.

I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay third stay with us.

I certainly note your comment with regarding to car parking . We do have a company who manages the space for us and fines any users who are not resident . As I am sure you can appreciate this is a deterrent for some shoppers but not all who will always chance there luck!

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel next year.

Thank you once again for your feedback

Nick Henry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
huddersfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2010

I stayed for one night for an event in Harrogate and I paid less than £40 for the night. For this I was expecting a single room and a shared bathroom somewhere down a dimly lit corridor. It was with some trepidation that I opened my room door, located as I thought it might be right opposite the lifts. I was so surprised by my room that I actually went out and double checked the door number against the one on my key as I thought I'd managed to wander into someone elses room.

The room was a very large double, with a decent sized en-suite, a small sitting area, a wide-screen TV and fantastic views from the window. It was spotlessly clean, all the lights worked, there was a tea tray and some complimentary toiletries.

I chose not to pay for breakfast as I knew there was a well known pub yards down the road that serves a very good breakfast for a fraction of the price. For those with more expensive tastes, the hotel is over the road from Betty's Tearooms.

I can't comment on how noisy the hotel is at night as I always take earplugs with me when I travel (I've yet to stay in a quiet hotel) and I slept like a log. I did think the heating could be improved for such large rooms, but I didn't personally find it a problem.

Overall, I was impressed by the hotel and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2011
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2010

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years but this weekend was the first visit for quite a while & we were very disappointed with the room (207) although it was a good size, it was cold, not very welcoming, no pictures on the walls, not 'homely' at all. The worst thing was the bed, it was horrendous, the mattress was so very uncomfortable we hardly slept & could hardly walk when we got up in the morning!!
On the plus side, the breakfast was fine. It's such a shame because the location of the hotel is fantastic but the rooms leave alot to be desired I'm afraid.
I think someone needs to 'speculate to accumulate' on what could be a superb hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I must apologise that you felt the standard of room that were allocated was sub standard and that you felt the room was unwelcoming thank you for highlighting your thoughts.

We are currently in the process of changing our bed stock as well continuing an in house re-decoration programme of our rooms.

I hope that you will come back and experience how enjoyable a stay at The Yorkshire in Harrogate can be. Please call me directly to make the necessary arrangements.

Nick Henry

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Bolton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2010

We are regular visitors to Harrogate and come at least twice a year. We usually stay in the Holiday Inn but due to the recent offer in The News Of The World it was the perfect opportunity to try something new. We visited The Yorkishire Hotel in November 2010 and are sad to say we were very disapointed for the following reasons:
- The whole of the second floor smelt of dirty toilets
- Our room, number 218, smelt dreadful
- the shower curtain smelt of stale urine
- the bathroom smelt of bad drains
- we closed the bathroom door but we could still smell the bathroom
- the hotel obviously knew that there was a problem as they had provided an air freshener. This did NOT mask the smell.
- the PAT testing wad overdue on ALL electrical appliances
- no milk provided on our tea and coffee tray

-The breakfast experience was very poor considering we had payed £10 per person
- they were very understaffed
- tables not cleared
- after waiting about 15 minutes we had to ask for tea and toast both came near the end of our breakfast.
- they regularly ran out of juice and hot food, bacon sausages etc.
- no option of a choice of egg only scrambled available which had been left out too long, the sausages also had been left out too long

We will NOT be returning to this hotel. However, we would like to know if the other hotels that are owned by this company are of this standard? We eagerly await a reply.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2010
I must apologise that you felt the standard of room that were allocated was sub standard and that you identified several issues relating to smells.I thank you for bringing these to my attention.

I understand unexpected high volumes of guest taking breakfast at the same time and this meant that we were a little under resourced for a time.Thus increasing your waiting time I am sorry this impacted you the way it did. We have taken action to ensure we are well prepared for this eventuality in the future.
I was disappointed to read you were not offered tea coffee or toast at the table, I have retrained the restaurant team members to ensure toast is offered to the table. We do however provide any type of eggs on request.

After an investigation with my Duty Management team it is regrettable that your disappointment does not appear to have been highlighted or addressed by the Duty Manager visiting your room. I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware they would have endeavoured to resolve your room or service issues. I do thank you for the note only pertaining to the shower curtain which was located after check out!

Once again please accept my apologies.
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

Having booked 5 rooms for 10 family members, + 2 grandchildren for my 60th birthday party I was very concerned and worried after reading several unfavourable reviews after booking. Iam happy to say that we had a fabulous time, with 5 fantastic rooms, all spotlessly clean. The Management and staff at the hotel were all extremely efficient , friendly and helpful, from the manager to the young waiter who brougt a trayful of drinks to our room. I cannot praise them enough. The Hotel itself must be one of the best placed in Harrogate with the shops, & theatre all on the doorstep. A big thank you for making my birthday one to remember. Carolyn

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2010

As mentioned below we seemed to of had a similar room only ours was right under the 5th floor disco Room 417 and at the back of the building so no sleep for us.
When we complained on saturday evening,well sunday morning we were told it would finish at 12.30 am which it didnt and we were offered another room at this time OMG do they think people want to move around and pack up in the middle of the night !!!! They should not of put guests in these rooms on a weekend at all as it is not what you want to hear after being up from 6.30am that morning you just want to go to bed and sleep....At 12.30/1am music still banging and i mean banging so hubby went down again to reception and informed them that they had better call the police as if this music doesnt stop they would be needed....a short while after it did.
This is not what you want when you are away for a couple of nights break so after that we made the decision of not staying in the hotel for our second night and checked out and came home yesterday.To be fare the girl on reception was lovely and did refund us our night we didnt use back but this episode really spoilt what should of been a lovely time and for this reason we will not be returning or recommending this hotel.
Remember to avoid this room at all costs on a weekend you have been warned.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I must apologise that the of room that were allocated was located beside our main function suite I am sorry this impacted you the way it did. We have taken action to ensure that where practical all guest unrelaeted to our in house function will be located in other areas of the property.

I appreciate that it does not change the events of your stay ,but I wish to assure you that the PA system on this occassion was much louder than we would have sanctioned.

I was pleased to read that my team provided a 'gesture of good will' on check out.

County Durham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2010

I have just returned from staying at this hotel for 1 night with my partner and what a terrible experience!
The hotel itself is very grand and has a lovely reception and bar area but this is not continued in the rooms.
We stayed in a standard double room-and it was just standard.!This hotel should be rated as 2 stars and not 3!
The room was very small with a big bathroom, but the bathroom had no ceiling light and was painted a dark dark red! The only light was a small shaving light above the mirror , the toilet had a pump system which helped drain the water away for the bath/shower and toilet and the noise was dreadful! As you can imagine anyone using the loo during the night and flushing the chain we heard it!!!! There was also an unpleasant smell in the bathroom and the cleanliness left alot to be desired.
The mattress on the bed was very uncomfortable with the springs sticking through the material on the mattress, so we had no choice but to turn the mattress over, the bed sheets were of poor quality and stained!
The hotel advertises parking although limited, we did arrive mid morning to find no spaces so had to park elsewhere, which was a pain with having to carry bags etc.
I can honestly say the only plus side to this hotel is the location as it is very close to the centre of Harrogate.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of The Yorkshire Hotel, I am sorry that your stay was clearly not an acceptable standard for which I can only apologise. I thank you for the time and trouble you have taken in writing your review on Trip advisor, The problems you experienced within the hotel, have been brought to my attention are will be addressed . It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service. The only difficulty I have is actually idenfying exactly what room you were staying in and when you stayed , we do only have a small number of the plumbing systems you describe . I would be most grateful if you could contact me so I may rectify the issues you experience.