Hotel du Vin and Bistro
The Crown Hotel(Harrogate)
  • Pool
Green Park(Harrogate)
1,230 results
All reviewsmonsoon showerhdv harrogateroll top bathloft suitenespresso machinefree standing bathmini barwalk in showerthe general managerfirst floorlovely hotelsunday nightwine listper nighthuge bedreception stafflovely room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 February 2012

really nice rooms with lots of unique touches, we had a bath in our room and a lovely balcony. The bistro was very good. The bar was great and then barman was really friendly and allowed us some samples of different drinks and showed us the impressive Cigar humidor.
didn't seem to be room service (not quite clear in hotel info pack) the spa was treatments only so no pool or such like. wife enjoyed it though.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This hotel is looking very tired and housekeeping is lacking in lots of areas.
The first room I was allocated was so small and depressing. I don't know why such a small room would be decorated in such dark colours. The window overlooked a pub and as I was able to clearly see into the pub I am sure customers of the pub could see into my room, therefore I had to close the curtains, making the room even darker.
The bathroom is in need of some updating and hadn't been cleaned properly and there was an occasional smell of stale urine, not sure if there's a drainage problem.
There has been no thought to the set up of the room as mirrors are not positioned near plug sockets, poor lighting near mirrors and the tea & coffee making facilities are placed in the bottom of the wardrobe....very hygenic (not) and useless anyway as there wasnt anywere suitable to plug the kettle in. I can honestly say I have stayed in better Travelodges. The room is no where near the standard of what a boutique hotel should offer.

The studio suites are no better. Again very poorly set out, both in the living area and the bathroom. Cleanliness of the room was very poor and I have to say I found this throughout the hotel. I was going to take a bath but picking up on the lack of cleanliness I ran my hand around the bath before running it, the near side was fine but at the back of the bath my hand was covered in white marks, or to put it bluntly,,,,,scum. I decided not to take a bath.

Room service menu is limited to full meals, no snacks, sandwiches, light meals?
Parking is a nightmare, if you manage to get a space at the front of the hotel in their allocated spaces this will cost £10 for 24 hours, which is average for Harrogate, but I hope you don't drive anything bigger than a fiesta because the spaces are extremely tight. If you don't manage to get a hotel space then be prepared to constantly fill the parking meters or moving your car.

The hotel is ideally positioned in Harrogate, central to everything. The size of the beds and bedding is excellent but these are the few things I can say about this hotel. I think in the right hands and a refurbishment this could be a fabulous hotel but in my opinion it is no longer a trendy boutique hotel.
I left feeling very frustrated, but thankful I'd checked out.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Lanniespice
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We often have weekend breaks and found this gem two years ago.Its decor and service are second to none,all the staff are curteuos and attentive and nothing is too much trouble.We love its central location and private parking and once you arrive you can just relax and be well looked after.The hotel have several rooms which are located from outside which lends itself to privacy although there is some noise from footfall from the ground floor.The interior rooms we have had are of a high standard and more than comfortable with beuatiful bedding and comfy beds and pillows. All the rooms are of high standard which mini bars coffee machines and toiletries and robes so less packing.Very close to all shops and restaurants and bars.This being said they have a great bistro and bar with an outside courtyard where you can have lunch.My husband is partial to a good cigar and they have a humidor with a reasonable selection to pick from and as the courtyard has heaters he can enjoy a good relaxed smoke .All in all we cannot fault this hotel or staff and have been several times Harrogate is a lovely town with plenty to do it even has its own turkish baths.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kath947
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Had a fabulous stay here as part of my 40th birthday celebration weekend, room was fantastic. Location excellent too.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Over the last four years we have stayed and dined in DdVs in Bristol, Poole, York and now Harrogate. Our overall impression is that the HdV chain is no longer the standard by which other boutique hotels should be judged. Other hotels seem to have progressed, but HdV has slipped backwards (or at least only stood still). How many other boutique hotels still use bulky cathode ray TVs?

At HdV Harrogate, our second floor room was good, but no wow factor. Room was a bit too dark (e.g. desk in the corner of the room not illuminated by ceiling lighting and no desk lamp. There was a coffee machine in the darkest corner of this desk, but it was too dark to use the machine.

The most disappointing aspect of the HdV Harrogate was the bistro. We had breakfast there on two days. The first time I found the Full English breakfast really quite bland. The second time I ordered a well done omelette and specifically stated that I did not want any "runny" egg. I was served an under cooked and inedible omellete. We ate in the bistro on one night. We found the sommelier far too pushy, he really did not listen to our requirements. In fact he was so pushy that we sent him away so that we could make our meal choices - yet he still brought champagne apperitifs that he thought we wanted. Perhaps he should spend more time listening to people's requirements rather than assuming he knows what the customer wants. Unfortunately, the meal itself did not erase the memory of the pushy sommelier. I was served a dry, tough and warm steak. My preference is a moist, tender and hot steak. The steak was accompanied by warm "fat fries" and a tiny saucepan of cold bearnaise sauce - I suspect that the meal was left standing far too long before being served.

On a positive point, all the staff (with the exception of the pushy sommelier) were friendly, professional and courteous.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple