“lovely bit of pampering”

Hotel du Vin and Bistro
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Hotel du vin Harrogate lives up to the company reputation - good size rooms, comfortable beds with good quality bedding and a lush bathroom with monsoon shower. downstairs the bar has a really good atmosphere, busy with locals and people staying in the hotel, a nice buzz about it. Bar staff were busy but friendly and attentive. Dinner was very good, with excellent wine choices. Breakfast was a bit of a let down - very slow and no ambience. Have stayed at other H du V and the breakfast has been a real treat, so was a bit disappointed. However, the spa was fantastic! the team really know their stuff and we will deffinately be back.

Room Tip: front rooms will have traffic noise if the window is open - but nice views over the green.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,209)

Reviewed 21 January 2013

We had a good 2 night stay in the Hotel Du Vin.Room was a good size but the decoration in the room was looking a little tired and dated. In my opinion the room we had as in need of a refurbishment as the carpet was stained. Another issue for me was the room was incredibly hot, not a problem for everyone but we had the window open the whole time we were there. Would possibly stay there again as I love the Du Vin brand.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

Stayed over and had dinner in the restaurant.
Very good.
The bread was fantastic.
Simon in the restaurant was brilliant.
Our room was at the front so had a brilliant view.
All very good and will will be back.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2013

We stayed mid week on a Winter Sparkle deal- a double room and two courses each from the prix fixe menu for £109. I've reviewed the food separately but I'd rather they included breakfast (which was good) rather than the dinner ( which wasn't). I'd read the reviews which mentioned the noise in the rooms so we specifically asked to not be over the bar. They obliged and gave us a room on the second floor. It was called Meerlust and was fine. A nice, comfortable king size bed, great bedding, good lighting, quiet and clean. I don't think there we any issues with cleanliness and I certainly didn't spot any of the thick dust that other reviewers have mentioned. The bathroom was, again, fine. Rain drop shower over the bath. Would have been better without the forlorn, empty shower gel bottle holder affixed to the wall . I'm being a bit picky now! I'm quite short sighted so struggled to see into the mirror which was over the sink and quite far away from me. There was a separate shaving mirror but it was positioned between the sink and the toilet where there wasn't really room to stand. The public areas are maybe a tiny bit worn. The wooden floors in particular look like they need sanding and re-varnishing as there are obvious signs of wear in the high-traffic areas. But I wouldn't say it was shabby really. The breakfast was nice- delicious fresh fruit and pastries, good variety of cooked options. Tasty freshly squeezed orange juice. The coffee came in cafetieres and was fine but it's never hot enough for me. They did bring some hot milk when we asked for it. The option of a latte or cappuccino wouldn't go a-miss! The service was fine and the location of the hotel is really great. I'd go again but would just do bed and breakfast and have my dinner at van Zeller's!

Reviewed 14 January 2013

My partner and I booked this hotel for a weekend away to use the Turkish bath just down the road from here. I am please to say that the staff where very helpful and made our stay a joy.

The room was wonderful, clean and very well equipped. Noise free!

There was one or two things that did not run as smoothly as we would have hopped, however the hotel staff where quick to rectify this with no upset to our stay. We had booked a 2 night stay with meal and wine included, unfortunately when eating in the hotel the wine was not given to us for our meal on the first night. We simply and hassle free spoke to the receptionist who quickly and painlessly cleared this up and sent the bottle of chilled wine to our room for us. The next night this was sorted again and we enjoyed the wine with out meal.

Both check in and check out where quick painless and hustle free. There was some nuts put on our mini bar bill which we did not have, but they where quickly removed and with out any hassle or argument.

The only thing that I could complain about was I personally was not comfortable in the bed. It was two single beds pushed together to make a king. This would not have bother me normally however one bed was slightly higher than the other. I must say this did not spoil my stay although I did not have then best sleep. My partner however was fine with this so I would say it is personal preference.

Again I would like to say this was a lovely hotel. I would come back tomorrow and in our next visit to harrogate I would definitely stay here again.

Thank you to all at the hotel for a lovely weekend.

2  Thank Simon R
Reviewed 5 January 2013 via mobile

My dad who lives in Harrigate had a heart attack and was bring looked after at the district hospital. We needed a hotel fast and given we have been to the one in Henley knew roughly what to expect. Parking was available too at 10 pounds for 24 hours. We have a a big range rover and the space in front of the hotel was big enough in response to the recent bad review regarding the size. We are in the restaurant and the food was of the same standard we expected. Overall, despite the circumstances, this hotel is great. When we come back for a more pleasurable weekend I wouldn't think twice in staying again. Recommended. Ps. It's literally to the right of Betty's on the edge of town.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Skabenga
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We had a lovely room, but there was a lot of street noise which disrupted our sleep. There is no double glazing, and there was a strong (cold!) draught through the window in our bathroom.

The restaurant is rather poor - I wasn't impressed with the quality of the meat, and the restaurant staff seemed rather preoccupied with doign stuff on their till rather than extending a warm welcome to guests entering the restaurant.

In summary, this is a lovely hotel, with sumptuous rooms - but very prone to noise. And the staff have drunk a little too much of their own kool-aid.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are exposed to street noise
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple