“Good but room in need of a little TLC”

Hotel du Vin and Bistro
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
West Yorkshire
“Good but room in need of a little TLC”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed for one night in one of the smaller double rooms. The hotel was easy to find and in a great location for wandering around Harrogate. Parking was available but there was only 1 space left so we were lucky. Not sure where we would have gone otherwise as all the spaces we could see around town were full.

The room was small but made smaller by the bed being about a foot away from the wall due to the curved headboard. This meant the bedside tables were not against the wall and things kept falling down the back of them. I also had to lean over the lamp to reach the light switches and plug sockets which was a bit annoying.

Our room also had a fire door outside which was open at all times but meant it was really difficult to get the key into the lock to open the door. I never did get the hang of it!

One final thing that would have made the stay better was a net curtain on the window, I know this is really minor but as we were overlooking a restaurant I had to have the curtains shut making the room dark when just a net would have meant more light while I was relaxing after a lovely long soak in the deep bath.

On the positive side the bath and shower were fab, I was able to have a relaxing bath on the evening and the shower woke me up the following morning. The bed was incredibly comfy and we had a great night sleep. Breakfast was good, not a huge range but sufficient and lots of what is available. The large sofas and chairs in the public areas looked very inviting and were always busy.

The staff were very friendly and provided a warm welcome when we arrived and were able to answer all questions and even found a spare remote control when we couldn't find the one in the room.

Overall we had a lovely time and I would stay there again for a special event but would look to stay in one of the larger rooms for the price.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Newcastle, UK
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I stayed here with my husband between Christmas and New Year - this was our second visit to the hotel. We stayed on a dinner package, which meant you got a reduced room rate if you spent a certain amount in the bistro. This suited us well as we both like the food and dine at HdV every few months.

This time we upgraded to a suite, which meant we had a huge, split-level room on the first floor at the back of the building. This was clean, quiet and luxurious, although there wasn't much by way of windows and natural light. Given this was December I didn't mind! I particularly liked the bathroom, which had both a really deep bath and a seperate rainfall shower. The bathroom opened out on to the upstairs sitting area, which had a large comfy sofa and TV.

Really good location, short walk from Bettys, the main shopping street, parks and gardens. Just behind the hotel is a street with a few bars and restaurants on, which we ventured to and would recommend. Parking can be a little difficult, however as we'd stayed before we were used to it - my husband had to wait on the street while I went inside and asked the very nice receptionist to come and lower a bollard for us, which wasn't a problem. I was surprised to have to pay for parking here as when I've visited other HdVs it's been free, however I guess it's due to location (the Newcastle one isn't in the City Centre for example.)

I would stay here again, however only in an upgraded room (some of the group we traveled with the first time we stayed had a smaller, standard room and I didn't particularly care for where this was located.) Would definitely recommend the room + dinner package if available, I think it's usually Sundays.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
heswall
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My recent stay in Harrogate was spoilt by the hard sell to up grade everything when booking the night away over the phone before hand, from what sounded like a central booking office for the group, shame, no personal touch.
I was expecting really good food and wine, but was disappointed at the high mark up on the very extensive wine list, hence most people sitting about with a pint of beer before dinner!
Food wasn't bad in the empty dining room, it was mid week but it seemed most residents had gone out to eat! My broccoli with hollandaise was awful, the hollandaise was watery and insipid.
The room was nice and bed was comfortable, good shower and nice smellies.
Was the whole stay value for money? I don't think so, I would rather stayed in a cosy and personable B & B and spent my cash at one of the many other restaurants in town.
Sorry Hotel du Vin I won't be recommending or coming back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

125 £ including breakfast ! this is how I want to start this review.
Reception was very friendly, efficient and fast, so everything started well. The room was at the very end of a hallway with no view, really.
We could hear people in the next room talking and coughing and the floor was squeaky, very loud. In the Bar seating at a table no one came to ask for our order so we had to walk to the bar to ask for drinks.
The bed was huge, very nice so the night was more or less ok, except the Lady next door coughing all night.
Breakfast was very slow and not worth the additional 4£ per fry up, don't order the baked eggs with cheese and soldiers, totally overcooked.
All in all ok, nothing special

Scotland
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Part of the Malmaison group--a good recommendation to start. Situation excellent, overlooking a park with very well cared for flower beds and lawns. Room--a superior double--facing the park very spacious, very well decorated, functional but "classy". Bed large and comfortable--a good night's sleep. Service pleasant and efficient from check-in to restaurant. All positives.
Now the negatives. The restaurant--when we were about to order, we were informed that scallops, mussels, veal and filet steak were not available--all things we had seriously contemplated. It was a couple of days after a Bank Holiday and maybe they had had a busy time but somehow this was unacceptable. What we finally ordered was very good, well presented, well cooked--just not our first choice.
Negative 2--again the restaurant food. We decided on continental breakfast. Fruit salads, juice, bread/croissant, yoghurt--no cheeses nor cold meats--in my opinion too restricted (here my wife disagrees!!)
On average, a very nice hotel. Would we go back--definitely (can't be that unlucky in the restaurant again!)

Room Tip: If possible choose a room facing the park. Although they also face a relatively main street, there i...
1 Thank mortam
Manchester
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We booked a superior double and found ourselves in the Peter Lehmann room on the ground floor. It’s a horrible. The part with the bed in it has no window instead there’s a door with frosted glass that opens out on to a fire escape and an ugly courtyard affair. There’s no way of getting any fresh air in to the room unless you want to leave the door open. Not something you really want to do overnight. If you are paying good money for a room you don’t want to feel you’ve been dumped in a darkened cellar so our advice is to avoid this room if you stay here. What the rest of the downstairs rooms are like we couldn’t say. Otherwise: nice enough bar, average breakfast, good location.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We have dined & drunk at the hotel many times but this was our first stay in the hotel when we were attending a private party held there.
Typical H d V ambience , a boutique style hotel which works.
Location puts you within walking distance of everything you might want to do in Harrogate, and we slept, bathed & caroused well.
The private dinner party we attended was also first class in service , room and quality of food.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the seclusion of a basement room at the end of the terrace; ask for another if you find...