“Watch out for additional charges!”

Hotel du Vin and Bistro
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We have just come home from a weekend away. A precautionary message as there were several charges we were not made aware of eg £10 fee for parking in the hotel car park; service charge for dinner and service charge for breakfast. Unfortunately service on both occasions was average - we needed to ask for bread - my husband's dinner arrived (steak and chips) without chips - we were some way through the meal before we could get anyone's attention. We had purchased a dinner, bed and breakfast deal for £185 but as these charges were not transparent it felt like it was indeed a £205 deal!

Our room was in the basement - a little disappointed as we hadn't appreciated that we would need to go outside the hotel to get to the room (this could have been made clearer on the website I feel). The room was a little tired - the front door continually jammed so we had trouble getting in and the tiling etc is feeling a little tired.

I had expected more of a Hotel du Vin chain and unfortunately it's unlikely that I would try another hotel in the chain as it didn't feel good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,209)

Reviewed 23 January 2014

This could be the most amazing hotel, its just let down by housekeeping! The rooms are definitely in need of an upgrade, we stayed in an amazing room, with fabulous bathroom, but wooden blind was broken... not great when your bathroom overlooks park! room was a bit dusty and needing tlc , but my friends rooms both had bath mats that were black with mould.. really no excuse!(They did complain at the time) That being said, all the staff from check-in to breakfast were all lovely and couldn't do enough for you. The hotel has a large busy bar area with big sofas, and hotel had an great atmosphere. It is right in the centre of harrogate, so everything walkable. Once this hotel is upgraded, it will be unbeatable in Harrogate, and I'll be back in a shot!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank IONACARR
Grant_Lowe, General Manager at Hotel du Vin and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Good evevning and thank you for your feedback.

I note that you stayed back in November which would be right, as we did in fact recognise a problem with our rubber bath mats around that time, which we were able to rectify immediately, as per my post to "Harrod2013" on 6th December. You'll be pleased to hear.

Also you may have seen that we are going to have a mini refurb this year, which should rejuvenate and keep us "Chic". I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back in time.

Warm regards

Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel before and it has been fine . Not a patch on the hotel du vin in York but nice. Partner decided to treat us and my daughter to a New Year's Eve package. We thought two nice rooms, nice food and drink and a dance wld be good as daughter 21! Very expensive at over £1000 but was a treat. Started well, nice girl called Hanah kept phoning to check all organised. Check in went smoothly albeit not very personal as have stayed 3 times before. York welcome you back at check in. Rooms ok as expected but in need of a make over as looking very tired! Went down hill at dinner. As you have to book a time we expected people to sit at different times and so thought service would be ok. How very wrong! Chaos. Uninterested staff , even rude staff. Daughter has very serious nut allergy and at booking we made this clear and all was taken seriously . This clearly not passed on to a very rude waiter. Had starter which was ok. An hr later we get what I presume if was frozen a sorbet. I asked waiter what flavour it was due to daughters allergy to be told "taste it and find out" daughter refused to taste it and can't say I blame her. Complain? For that you would need to attract someone! Another hr wait and numerous requests for whereabouts of main course and it arrived. Tough, chewy and inedible venison , partner said steak was lovely . Daughter and I tried and that was because partner by now was upset . Had planned lovely treat and spent a not inconsiderable ammount and because of his feelings and due to fact we got the feeling nobody really cared we said nothing. Coffee and peti fours? Well thanks to a nice wine waiter we finally had a coffee but nothing else so we gave up, dancing was fine but no where to sit. Breakfast next morning and service was good. Mention to bar man who made cocktails and went out of way to help. Only person who did. Feel as if robbed and treated appallingly. Return? No I don't think we will. Apology at least? Would like one. Will we get one I doubt it.
We have stayed at hotel du vins all over the country. Are spending valentines night at hotel du vin at York. Hoping Harrogate was a blip. If not we will stop using the chain.
Waited a while to post this as didn't want to upset partner, no of this was his fault. Took what was our first new year together as a complete family and ruined it.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank legalbegal
Grant_Lowe, General Manager at Hotel du Vin and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Legalbegal,

Please contact me directly at the hotel so that I may indeed apologise in person.
I was at the hotel throughout the event and spoke to many very happy people, who have rebooked, so I need to understand what happened and why also.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 12 January 2014

As usual with this chain, the building is lovely and the conversion superb. The wooden floors, shabby chic paint and comfy deep sofas along with the candlelight and ambient lamps make for a romantic atmosphere. Other reviewers have said the decor looked tired but this was not our experience. Ok, the parking is limited and ten pounds a night but it is right outside the front door and also Harrogate is a devil for parking anyway so I think it is worth it.
We had a room at the front overlooking the park. In spite of the road outside we were not disturbed as traffic isn't a real problem. The room was lovely, decor tasteful and presentation immaculate. It is such a good idea to have two decent comfortable armchairs as hotel rooms often have either none or only one. The coffee machine and fresh milk was another bonus.There was an enormous tv with an excellent picture although we had to move it so we could see it from the bed without cricking our necks. The bed was huge and comfortable but , annoyingly, the bedside lights too dim to read by. The monsoon shower in the bathroom was wonderful, as it always is at the HduV chain, and the toiletries were luxurious Miller Harris. The excellent magnifying mirror was designed for putting on makeup, I decided!
Free wi if is now something we expect at hotels of this quality so the staff were very apologetic for its weak then non existent signal. Apparently the engineer is on his way so one hopes this is temporary.
The staff were helpful and friendly, recommending nearby Knaresborough as a good visit. Everyone we spoke to was courteous and keen to please.
Food was at its best very good. I highly recommend the Tarte Tatin and the Creme Brûlée. The Crepes Suzette, however, was stodgy and over substantial and the by contrast minimal Pumpkin Ravioli appeared to have been deep fried.
So, with some minor niggles, this was a lovely hotel. Recommended!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Grant_Lowe, General Manager at Hotel du Vin and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

It was a pleasure to meet you and your husband the other day.
Thank you for all your custom to HdV over the years and I hope you're next visit to Bristol is as good as always.
Warm regards as always

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I like this hotel. Nice rooms but in need of a refurbishment. A deep clean would make the world of difference. I enjoyed my breakfast. Nice to have such a healthy choice of foods. Staff helpful and friendly throughout the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Grant_Lowe, General Manager at Hotel du Vin and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Thank you.
2014 will see a mini refurbishment and refresh of the hotel following an investment plan across the group.

In addition every year in January and February we carry out a "spring clean" program of painting/decorating and remedial works during these quiet months also. especially after the very busy Xmas period.

I look forward to welcoming you back later in the year following the refurb.

Kind regards as always

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Very nice one night stay in the "Ruinart" room. Clean, comfortable, quiet. Everyone talks in previous reviews about the hotel being dark - not the case. Service was fine, I personally thought the staff may have presented themselves in a more uniformed/smarter way but that's purely my preference and opinion. Great drinks in the bar, good food in the Bistro for lunch the next day. Overall very accommodating and would stay again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

It's always good to get feedback and even more so when so positive. It is much appreciated.

As with everything it is personal preference and great to see that you do like our Basement rooms. In fact many people do because with their own external entrance (separate to the main hotel) they are a favourite of people that smoke and for individuals who like the freedom of not having to walk through the hotel to go to or leave their hotel room.

Thank you again and hope to see you soon.

All the best

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We have stayed at the hdv harrogate many times , but have not been for a few years. I write trip advisor reviews when I find hotels impressive but also when disappointed , this was one of the latter occasions. Having stayed in their loft rooms before , this time we were unfortunately allocated tattinger, a flawed room. Not very clean , I do not find hairs in the shower particularly pleasant , nor the stain on the suite. The tv is not visible from the bed , desk and chairs stained , the mirror has to be moved from the shower room to the desk so my wife could dry her hair . The bed pillows are the smallest I have encountered and the bed , creaky and uncomfortable. From a staffing point of view , particularly in the restaurant there seems to be little organisation , unsmiling staff and three attempts to clear our table by separate staff , when we had not finished. Breakfast was a similar experience , the fruit from buffet was still on our table when the hot food arrived, we moved the bowls to another table ourselves, no one seems to be overseeing or checking. The check in was less than efficient having parked and checked in during the morning we returned after the stated 3pm to be told we hadnt checked in at all , in fact they insisted we hadnt checked in as the staff bobbed down below the desk to access the strangely placed printer , eventually we got our room. Check out was similarly slow again due to printer problems, only two desks available for both check in and out. It may have been the lull between Christmas and the New year and perhaps tired staff , but service with a smile is not difficult , the restaurant staff are if I am being kind a little scruffy and at the prices charged HDV should be doing better than this. Its position is excellent , the food is ok , the wines splendid, but it is missing the touch it used to have. tired staff and tired hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yenkcoh220
Grant_Lowe, General Manager at Hotel du Vin and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you.
Constructive feedback is always welcome and does help us make improvements where needed. With this in mind there will be a mini refurbishment in 2014, to help us retain our reputation and standing in the market place, which I hope you like on your next return.

With regards to the team, I am very surprised and am at a loss to explain your experience, as this is highly unusual and not what other reviewers have experienced, even during the "buzz and vibe" that is the festive season.
It clearly was your experience and should not have been. I can assure you that my team will be as upset as you to realise that this is how they were perceived. On their behalf please accept my apologies.
2014 promises great things for HdV and I hope you enjoy them.
Kind regards