“CLEANLINESS IS IMPORTANT”

Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“CLEANLINESS IS IMPORTANT”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for one night in the Torques et Clochers room on the first floor.
The bathroom although roomy, was not at all clean. The shower screen folding area was dirty with ground in soap. There was no seal on the screen and the water poured out onto the floor and toilet whilst showering. This to me was dangerous.
We found the room a bit dark and dingy with a small window covered by a roller blind which had seen better days. The outlook from the window was a rooftop.
The bed was clean and comfortable ,tea and coffee facilities but the milk supplied was sour.
A large fan was supplied as no air conditioning however this made too loud a noise to be able to sleep through.
The rest of the hotel was fine staff all ok. The location is spot on for amenities,
If I returned to Harrogate to stay I would probably not stop at this one.
Sorry for this comment, but I feel it's constructive and attention to detail is important for returning clientele

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hilary R
Brian v, General Manager at Hotel du Vin and Bistro, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Hilary R,

thank you for your review, please do accept my apologies for the valid points you raised which I will rectify with my team.

Could I ask you to contact me directly next time you are planning to visit Harrogate so I may oversee you booking.

Again please accept my apologies.

Brian van Oosten

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed a night in January in a room with an outside terrace, nice big room and a great shower. Amenities in the room were good, nespresso coffee machine, nice touch to have wine available in the room (for sale, but still a good idea). Bath was other side of the bed and in a narrow corner area so did not use it, the shower was excellent. Pleasant candle lit dining room with very friendly and professional staff and excellent food. Had to leave very early next day so did not have breakfast. A great place to stay, and very useful to have parking spaces allocated to the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with balconies are great
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Dieithryn,

Thank you very much for your very kind review, great to read that you had a brilliant stay with us.
We hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Borders, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Dropped by here for mid week lunch. Customers were clearly a bit of a surprise as we waited ages before anyone noticed we were waiting for a table. We were then shown into the empty cavernous restaurant. We went for the 2 course menu du jour at £14.95. The food was fine, but this Is another place which adds on an automatic 10% service charge! something I hate. I think there are better places in Harrogate for lunch at a better price.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Brian v, General Manager at Hotel du Vin and Bistro, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear themoustache,

thank you for your visit and review, please do apologise for the fact that you had to wait.
Pleased to read that you did enjoy your lunch though.

North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We are local and visited tonight to celebrate a birthday.
We had the Prix Fixe, set menu, 2 courses for 14.95 or 3 courses for 16.95, including a glass of house wine. Excellent value for money.

We were a party of six and had starters of Soup, Salmon or Parfait and excellent it was too.

Chicken with mashed Potato, excellent again but the pommes were only just warm as was the vegetable we had to pay extra for. Come on Hotel Du vin £3.50 for a bowl of a single veg is really a bit over the top......

Pudding, Crème Brulee, excellent, the menu said a selection of ice cream and sorbet ???? but no sorbet, when questioned the waitress said it should be mentioned by staff that it is Ice Cream OR sorbet but its not what it says on the menu and the word and should be replaced by the word OR. All in all a very nice experience, all the food was excellent, except, like I say, could and should have been hotter.

Room Tip: Parking, if you are just eating is free on the road side after 6pm.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear AnnieC025,

Thnak you for you recent review of our Bistro, good hear you had a great time.
I do take on board your comments and hope we can see you again soon.

Regards,

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Room was v nice plus special extras like free standing bath, robes etc. Bar staff attentive and a great selection for drinks, although v pricey. No bar snacks or nibbles to go with either. We swerved the in house bistro because we read poor reviews & our fears were confirmed at breakfast the following morning when the female Basil Fawlty attended to us! Her timid looking assistants were chastised on several occasions in full ear shot. Drinks and breakfast order were taken and delivered incorrectly. the reception were informed prior to us leaving the restaurant (presumably by Fawlty!) and they did knock off a tenner from the bill, however I thought this was a bit meagre considering they advertise breakfast excluding drinks at 17£ and the car park was charged at full whack!!!
Ps I can fully understand the poor noise reviews from those in basement rooms. We weren't in one of those rooms, however when sitting in lounge and restaurant the floorboards sounded as if they were about to rip apart whenever anyone walked over them!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsHumidiTea
Brian v, General Manager at Hotel du Vin and Bistro, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Katie,

thank you for your recent review, please do accept my apologies for the breakfast service.
This is one of the last experiences that the guest have and this needs to be spot on. Please be assured that this is being put right and will be a highlight next time you visit.

If there is anything you like to discuss further, please do give me a call.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed at the Du Vin for the evening over a Saturday night in May. Love Harrogate and having stayed at the Du Vin before we were looking forward to it. We booked a special deal of Bed Breakfast and dinner. The hotel is lovely and convenient for Harrogate centre and overall our stay met expectations but the services as gone down hill since our previous stay. Started badly when we couldn't actually enter the hotel as the door was locked and we were stuck on the pavement but after waving our arms around we got someone's attention and finally got in. My gripe is with the standard of service in the restaurant and the cost. The restaurant service was poor and the staff ddint seem to know what was happening also with our dinner inclusive offer we were offered a menu on arrival in the restaurant , when we came to pay the following morning we were charged £50.00 extra as we ordered from the wrong menu !! , yet it was the only menu in the restaurant.
Overall the room and the hotel were first class but its the little things with the Du vin that let it down , like a £10 charge for parking when you are paying £350 per night for a stay , its not good enough.

Room Tip: request a room on the front high up !
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nobbynoble
Dear Nobbynoble,

Thank you for your recent review about Hotel du Vin.

Please do accept my apologies for the difficulty in finding the front door and the heaviness of this door. Having just started here, signage and easier access is very high on my list of priorities as is guest care.

The next time you are planning to visit us, please give me a call and I will make sure you have a fantastic experience.

Barga, Italy
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Let me first say I did tell the hotel about my complaints and said better to do this than to write a Tripadviser review. However, their continued lack of attention to my comments leads me to this.

It first started during the evening meal when my wife asked a question about the wine, to which the sommelier, responded very snootily - but did not give an answer. We laughed about it but he was rude. (He compounded the error by spilling the wine all over the table whilst pouring, grabbing my napkin off my lap to mop it up).
We then asked the waiter about one of the courses and he confirmed the meat would be raw - excellent so I ordered, only to be served a cooked meat dish.
When checking out, I mentioned the fact about the meal and the Receptionist thought the manager had since spoken to me - no such thing happened. The bill charged us for two bottles of wine whereas only one was taken - this being put right with no quibble.
On return to home I contacted the Hotel about these issues as felt it was not to their reputed standard. I was connected to the Harrogate hotel manager and we discussed the matter. He promised to look in to it and reply. Some 2/3 weeks later - nothing.
It just proves to me that there is a complacency in this hotel which results in lack of training, poor attention to comments with the result that guests come off second best.
I'll take my bookings elsewhere in future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank inky51
Dear Inky51,

thank you for your review, I am very upset to read that your complaint has not been resolved.
Please do accept my sincere apologies.
I have just taken on the role of General Manager and would ask you to give me a call directly so I can resolve your complaint.