“Pompous and ridiculous”

Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Harrogate
“Pompous and ridiculous”
Reviewed 22 April 2009

I've just sent the following e-mail to head office.

***

I know a little bit about food. I've dined at Lucas Carton in Paris, which was probably the best meal I've ever had, and Marco Pierre White's Oak Room, which was certainly the most expensive, at just over £1,000 for three of us. Next week I'm dining at Joel Robuchon in Las Vegas, which has three Michelin stars.

Today is my 40th birthday. I live in Harrogate and didn't want to travel, so I chose the Hotel du Vin to celebrate with my partner. It being my 40th, the last thing on my mind was the budget, and I was keen to see what champagnes were available.

Shortly after being seated, my partner was asked to remove his "beanie" hat. In perhaps the same way that a small child would be reprimanded by an impatient teacher.

I'm a member of the Chamber of Commerce and a school governor. I was dressed in a formal shirt and jeans. My partner is a research scientist and was dressed in a formal shirt and formal trousers. And the "offending" beanie. There were three other diners in the otherwise empty restaurant, none of whom were particularly smartly dressed.

I called over the maitre d' and asked about the hat policy. He snootily responded that hats were contrary to the HdV policy.

So we left. We ended up dining at the Cattlemen's Association. It was packed all night -- at least fifty covers -- we were lucky to get a table. The service was polite and brisk.

The country is in recession. You have a reservation for a 40th birthday (you knew this was what it was, as I mentioned this when I booked). Your bistro was virtually empty. And you offend my partner over something trivial and ridiculous. It's a bistro. Not a Michelin-starred restaurant.

We would have spent perhaps £150. You lost that. I will never come to a Hotel du Vin again. So you've lost our loyalty. (I've enjoyed staying at and dining in your Winchester branch.) And you can bet that I'm telling all my friends about your pompous and patronising treatment of my partner and me on my birthday.

Good luck with the hat policy. I hope it achieves whatever it is you intend it to achieve. In this instance it's alienated someone who actually knows quite a lot about food, and likes spending money at quality restaurants when he can find them.

You're a bistro. Act like one or go out of business. It's up to you. I'm not bothered -- there are plenty of competitors who are pleased to accept my business and don't feel the need to treat me like a child.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Wolfers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2009

Great hotel , wonderful location this was our second stay at this hotel and we have used Du Vin on many occasions.

Shame abou th erestauarant:

No reservation on record although we had checked - twice
Requested well cooked burger and it was returned - twice, first red, second pink
Waited 15 minutes for second glass of wine their excuse was the Sommelier was 'busy', did we need a Sommelier for another glass of Merlot house red! When we didn't get him 1st time around
Custard with desert was water thin
Charged for coffee when it was included in the bill!

...once again great hotel, shame about the restauarant, we will stay again but not eat there.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 7 April 2009

We stayed for 2 nights in a warm cozy room overlooking the stray. Lovely decor, pleasant staff, good location and reasonably good value. We had no trouble parking outside the hotel. Breakfast was also good. Would stay again if we ever go back to beautiful Harrogate.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Nothumberland UK
Reviewed 2 March 2009

Had one Sunday night stay at this hotel,parked in free car park outside front door plenty of spaces. Allowed to check in 90mins earlier than stated with no hassle. Allocated room on first floor,very nice! and with fabulous bathroom. Nice bar area ,prices within reason,but no draught beer!. Had dinner in the bistro ,again very nice,service good and an unpretentious wine waiter. Lovely breakfast next morning,the staff were very pleasant ,and overall a very nice ambience.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 30 January 2009

Our children treated me and my husband to a special 3-day treat staying at Hotel Du Vin in Harrogate, as my 70th birthday gift. This was a special deal through Saga, including half board and wine tasting.
The room was lovely, overlooking the common, large and with a wonderful bathroom, large freestanding bath (which my husband loved) and huge shower (which I loved).
The only thing we were disappointed with was the lounge/bar. We have visited several Hotel du Vins, and they all have very nice, cosy bars, but this one is not! It is small, and just an area set aside from the hotel entrance with a glass screen. When we asked if that was all, we were told about further seating downstairs, but as noone seemed ever to use this, hardly welcoming.
As we were part of a special deal, it is hard to comment on the food. All in all, it was good, although we had a very limited choice. The breakfasts, however, were excellent.
Another small grumble. When double-checking the bill, we found that the service charge, added on to the bill, had been wrongly calculated, so we had to ask for a credit, which was immediately forthcoming. Not very good, though, as you suspect they hoped you would not notice....

• Liked — The position of the hotel and the room
  • Disliked — The bar/lounge area
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
lincolnshire
Reviewed 25 January 2009

The hotel literature boasts complimentary parking. This is very limited for the size of the hotel and when on arrival I went in to ask where the parking was I discovered just how arrogant the staff were. The reception desk was not covered so I asked a bar member who waved in the direction of the window and said what I could see was all that was available. Parking was in a 24 hour park 3-4 minutes walk down the road.
The bar was very expensive and when,not being a wine buff or claiming to be, I asked the barman which red wine he recommended he pushed a list at us and walked off saying he would come back when we had decided. He didn,t !
Breakfast was with a group of friends and having been seated we waited for tea and coffee. We helped ourselves to some breakfast from the buffet but some time later had to ask once and then again 10 minutes after that to order drinks. The order was wrong when it did arrive and we never did receive milk or sugar. We are not impatient people but again we had to ask to order a cooked breakfast for 8. Eventually 3 meals arrived and we waited for the others. We waited in vain and when we asked where the other 4 meals were the waiter sent someone to retake the order. Again we waited and waited the other 3 meals having long been eaten. When we said to a waiter that it would have been nice to have eaten as a group rather than in 2 sittings he argued with us which made everyone very uncomfortable.
We never did receive the 4 breakfasts and eventually walked out.
Would not recommend this place the staff have much to learn.

• Liked — clean warm comfortable
  • Disliked — arrogant staff ? understaffed very expensive for level of service received poor parking
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank ravens53
Bristol
Reviewed 11 January 2009

Having been quite a few times to other HdV establishments, we expected the service and quality to be excellent. On arrival, we had great problems finding a parking space (space outside the hotel seems to be at a premium). On entering the hotel the reception staff were almost Parisian in the art of being unfriendly / rude with actually being. No significant help was provided re parking ("you could just sit here and watch until a parking space becomes available" - well thanks very much ! - that's not what you expect from the HdV chain). On numerous occasions we we essentially ignored whilst waiting for attention by staff (reception, bar) who were busy doing something quite trivial - or chatting with each other. The bedroom was fine (although the woman at reception took us to the wrong room, wrong floor, initially) - and did get a painful swollen contusion on my shin from the bed-leg (see other reviews for details) . We were not asked if we wanted a table at the restaurant on checking in (ca. 5pm) or when booking. On asking later (at about 6pm) for a table, the Maitre'D said we would have to eat at 6.30 pm as there were no tables left. Eventually we decided to eat at Sasso's - a very nice Italian just around the corner - at a more civilised hour.

So overall, we found the attitude of the staff shockingly poor (apart from the service at breakfast which was good, not excellent, but good). How can such an ideal facility (building, location, etc,) be run with such shocking amateurism / disinterest? We are well-seasoned travelers in the UK and make numerous trips abroad on business. I can honestly say that the staff attitude I experienced rivaled that at only two other places - and both of those had such diabolical facilities, that at least one could understand why the staff behaved with such distinterest.

I regularly use Trip advisor - and appreciate that one occasionally sees anomalous (usually rabid) reviews. I usually just dismiss them - and did so for the ones I read for this place. Wish I hadn't now as our stay at HdV in Harrogate ruined our weekend there.

• Liked — bed comfort, shower and bath
  • Disliked — staff and attitude
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank GCLJ