“excellent staff , beautiful boutique hotel.”

Hotel du Vin and Bistro
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 19 May 2009

My wife and I stayed at HDV for a 1 night. We were impressed upon arrival by the professional and helpful staff. They gladly came outside to advise / assist with parking which was reserved for hotel guests. We were told at check in that we had been upgraded to to the Ravenswood suite. It was about the same cost as the room we had selected overlooking the Stray (£230) but it was a suite, without much of a view on the back of the hotel!! Never the less it was a beautiful spacious room with a comfy bed, roll top bath, Monsoon shower, seperate lounge and 2 tvs.and a large balcony. The hotel is a converted terrace of Georgian houses and this leads to some constaints on the layout of rooms. The corridor that forms the spine of the hotel was noisy until housekeeping had finished which seemed to be around 5.30pm. as they were constantly running up and down the corridor with its squeaky floor boards!! I am been very critical here and it didnt really matter in the overall scheme of things.
We used the excellent bar area prior to dinner which had a nice feel to it and as you would expect a superb collection of wines were available at fair prices. Dinner was included and any three courses from the menu were available. the food was outstanding and the service was equally as good. The service charge was extra and added at 10% which we dont mind as long as the staff see it!!
I would recomend the hotel and congratutulate it on its front of house staff and service levels provided and look forward to a return visit soon.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 May 2009

We have just got back from the Hotel du Vin where we stayed for one night as an anniversary treat.

We had tickets for a Derren Brown concert at the International Centre (EXCELLENT show by the way) and it was convenient to stay in town and treat ourselves.

We stayed in the Pol Roger loft room which was fabulous. Roll top bath, twin walk-in monsoon showers in a HUGE bathroom. Enormous bed, lounge area etc etc. There were no extra "treats" like biscuits, chocs or mints and no turn-down service.

I got the "passport du Vin" deal on the internet which gives 1% off for ever year of your age if pre-booked on that deal. Luckily I printed off the booking e-mail...

On check-out the receptionist raised an eyebrow when I presented my passport as proof of age. The booking had registered at full rack rate. I handed over my printout as proof and after a flurry of activity and computer checking and re-checking I was offered the discount. I got one of best rroms in the hotel for £156. Still not cheap, but lot cheaper than the £280 rack rate!

The hotel is very stylish and modern with a youngish clientele (a shade younger than me anyway!) The interior decor is quite dark, but comfortable. There is no lift to the top floor loft apartments, so the top flight must be walked.

We didn't eat at the Hotel (chosing to have a light and early supper at Betty's tearooms before the performance). We also had breakfsat at Betty's next morning (it's just over the road). This worked out cheaper than taking it at the Hotel du Vin and with a better ambience and view!

I'm not sure I'd stay there again(unless I got an even cheaper deal!) but it was a lovely one-off experience that suited our plans.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2009

On arrival we where pretty much ignored at reception, one girl had walked off and the other just sat there and didnt acknowledge us. I asked where we could park the car and was told to wait until there was a space? Didn't really come to Harrogate to sit in the car park all day. Might help if they actually used the barriers and only unlocked them for residents. Once the bar emptied out of the lunchtime trade then a space became available. The receptionist really was quite miserable not at all welcoming. That being said that is the only thing I can fault. The room was fantastic, the bath so relaxing we fell asleep in it! The bar area was great and buzzing. Restaurant service was a little slow but the food was good. The sash windows rattled a little at night but a bit of bog roll stuffed down the back soon solved that. Didn't eat breakfast as there is a great little place down the road so can't comment on that. Thoroughly enjoyed our break there, will definately visit a Hotel DV again.

1  Thank Joanne W
Reviewed 22 April 2009

I've just sent the following e-mail to head office.

***

I know a little bit about food. I've dined at Lucas Carton in Paris, which was probably the best meal I've ever had, and Marco Pierre White's Oak Room, which was certainly the most expensive, at just over £1,000 for three of us. Next week I'm dining at Joel Robuchon in Las Vegas, which has three Michelin stars.

Today is my 40th birthday. I live in Harrogate and didn't want to travel, so I chose the Hotel du Vin to celebrate with my partner. It being my 40th, the last thing on my mind was the budget, and I was keen to see what champagnes were available.

Shortly after being seated, my partner was asked to remove his "beanie" hat. In perhaps the same way that a small child would be reprimanded by an impatient teacher.

I'm a member of the Chamber of Commerce and a school governor. I was dressed in a formal shirt and jeans. My partner is a research scientist and was dressed in a formal shirt and formal trousers. And the "offending" beanie. There were three other diners in the otherwise empty restaurant, none of whom were particularly smartly dressed.

I called over the maitre d' and asked about the hat policy. He snootily responded that hats were contrary to the HdV policy.

So we left. We ended up dining at the Cattlemen's Association. It was packed all night -- at least fifty covers -- we were lucky to get a table. The service was polite and brisk.

The country is in recession. You have a reservation for a 40th birthday (you knew this was what it was, as I mentioned this when I booked). Your bistro was virtually empty. And you offend my partner over something trivial and ridiculous. It's a bistro. Not a Michelin-starred restaurant.

We would have spent perhaps £150. You lost that. I will never come to a Hotel du Vin again. So you've lost our loyalty. (I've enjoyed staying at and dining in your Winchester branch.) And you can bet that I'm telling all my friends about your pompous and patronising treatment of my partner and me on my birthday.

Good luck with the hat policy. I hope it achieves whatever it is you intend it to achieve. In this instance it's alienated someone who actually knows quite a lot about food, and likes spending money at quality restaurants when he can find them.

You're a bistro. Act like one or go out of business. It's up to you. I'm not bothered -- there are plenty of competitors who are pleased to accept my business and don't feel the need to treat me like a child.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Wolfers
Reviewed 12 April 2009

Great hotel , wonderful location this was our second stay at this hotel and we have used Du Vin on many occasions.

Shame abou th erestauarant:

No reservation on record although we had checked - twice
Requested well cooked burger and it was returned - twice, first red, second pink
Waited 15 minutes for second glass of wine their excuse was the Sommelier was 'busy', did we need a Sommelier for another glass of Merlot house red! When we didn't get him 1st time around
Custard with desert was water thin
Charged for coffee when it was included in the bill!

...once again great hotel, shame about the restauarant, we will stay again but not eat there.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2009

We stayed for 2 nights in a warm cozy room overlooking the stray. Lovely decor, pleasant staff, good location and reasonably good value. We had no trouble parking outside the hotel. Breakfast was also good. Would stay again if we ever go back to beautiful Harrogate.

Reviewed 2 March 2009

Had one Sunday night stay at this hotel,parked in free car park outside front door plenty of spaces. Allowed to check in 90mins earlier than stated with no hassle. Allocated room on first floor,very nice! and with fabulous bathroom. Nice bar area ,prices within reason,but no draught beer!. Had dinner in the bistro ,again very nice,service good and an unpretentious wine waiter. Lovely breakfast next morning,the staff were very pleasant ,and overall a very nice ambience.