“Awful restaurant experience”

Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
North Yorkshire
“Awful restaurant experience”
Reviewed 30 June 2009

I recommended this hotel to my extended family who spent the whole weekend here, with, as far as im aware, little problems.

However, whilst dining in the restaurant my husband, who had ordered the soup, was horrified to find a piece of broken china in the soup. He cut his mouth slightly and we mentioned this to the waitress who apologised and brushed over this quite quickly. It quite frankly , ruined our confidence in the food from then on.
We were very disappointed with the Hotels reaction to our "complaint" and feel we were quite justified in feeling this was unacceptable. My extended family were not offered any further apology as they continued there stay.
I would not recommend eating in this restaurant to anyone.

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Katrina194

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2009

Like other reviewers, I'd agree the staff were excellent throughout. We were made to feel welcome and the open lounge/bar area on arrival was very attractive. I had booked this as a special w/e away with my husband and had high expectations of a superb room having booked a Junior Suite (I thought with a view). HDV is never a cheap option and I had thought for the price, the room would be fabulous. However, the room we had been allocated filled me with dismay; although quite a large space (having a seated area as well as a bedroom), it was grim and depressing with drab grey walls and tired olive green furnishings and worst of all, two small windows looking out on to walls - simply no view whatsoever. It was awful and quite unexpected. The bathroom was a good size but tired. The GM however dealt with my concerns as graciously as he could (he made a huge effort in fact) but being Harrogate, the hotel was full so there weren't any alternative rooms on offer. You must book a room with a view over the front of the hotel. We dined at the fantastic Tannin Level (a must if you're in Harrogate and literally around the corner from the hotel) and enjoyed walks around the town and its wonderful parks. Breakfast was fantastic; the best granola ever and we left feeling fine after a disappointing start. I'd definitely stay again as the hotel itself is in a terrific location and the staff were superb but I'd make sure our room had a splendid view.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2009

It always amazes me that there are'nt more 'on the money' hotels in Harrogate as it is a great town for a night away combined with a bit of shopping. Hotel du vin seems to have the monopoly on boutique/contemporary hotels in the town.

The room was decent but showing definate signs of wear - chipped furniture, marks on walls, cracked basin in bathroom (which was otherwise very impressive with fantastic shower). It's really the bistro that makes it for me as it offers a buzzing environment with good food and not too silly on prices.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2009

My husband and I stayed for one night at the Hotel du Vin in Harrogate for our first wedding anniversary. The hotel has some very good points, so I'll start with those:
1. Staff - All the staff were very friendly and welcoming and really knew their stuff. We ate in the Bistro in the evening and found the service excellent, plus the staff at reception were great.
2. Location - The hotel is really well located and is in easy walking distance of everything in the centre of Harrogate.
3. Bed - The bed was huge and really comfortable.
4. Bathroom - In the main, the bathroom was great - huge monsoon shower, separate roll-top bath, lovely Arran Aromatics toiletries and big fluffy towels.
However, there were also some bad points which unfortunately outweighed the good:
1. The heat! We stayed on a sunny day when it was about 23 degrees outside. We'd paid to upgrade our room to get a room overlooking the "Stray", which is effectively a park. Unfortunately this meant that the sun streamed into our room all afternoon. We'd left the window open all day and evening, however when we got back to our room after dinner the room was still like a sauna. There is no air conditioning in the rooms, instead a fan had been provided. However the fan was incredibly noisy - a bit like a lawnmower. So we had the choice of sleeping with a lawnmower noise in the room or sleep with the window open so we could hear the busy road outside. In the end the only way we could sleep was to have the fan on but sleep with pillows wrapped around our heads! Even then we were awake most of the night.
2. There were a few other minor things that disappointed me, given that this was a Hotel du Vin which is portrayed as a luxury hotel chain:
- The main lights in the room didn't work properly - they came on but were extremely dim and you needed to have all of the side lights on to actually see.
- The mirror in the bathroom was set very far back from the sink. I am 5' 11" and I struggled to lean forward to see in it to apply make-up. Anyone shorter than me probably would not have been able to see in it at all! I am amazed that they didn't have a magnifying mirror elsewhere in the bathroom for that purpose. There were mirrors in the bedroom but the room was so dimly lit that I couldn't use them.
- The towel rail and radiator was on in the bathroom and there didn't seem to be any way to turn it off.
- As the building is a listed property the windows are single-glazed and only open a small amount. The window in the bathroom would not stay open and we ended up having to wedge it open with a book!
All in all we were disappointed with the hotel. The food in the Bistro was good but a bit over-priced. We ended up feeling that we'd wished we'd stayed at home and just gone out for a nice meal somewhere else. The hotel is probably fine in the winter but I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay there if it's more than 20 degrees outside!

London
Reviewed 22 May 2009

If you're considering booking one of the basement rooms at HdV Harrogate - don't! I had one of the worst experiences of my life in the basement room under check-in. The room was dingy with none of the frills you'd expect from HdV - like a roll-top bath. The shower didn't have enough hot water, light came streaming in from the window above the door, making it difficult to sleep, and the room was too hot. But the worst thing was the noise - day and night I could hear people's conversations, the scraping of tables and chairs and general goings on above. The website does warn of a risk of some noise, but the level was ridiculous. I eventually moved to a room within the hotel which was much better and much more what I would expect - beautiful roll-top bath, huge shower etc. The manager of the hotel was apologetic and did everyhitng to ensure I had a good night's sleep form then on in. If you're booking one of the main rooms, I'd say this hotel is wonderful. Jsut don't try the basement. A group of eight of us ate in the bistro as well, which we thought was excellent. However, there is no gym anymore at HdV, which is a pain. The Cannons they have a link up with is nice but the taxi was £6.50 each way and entrance was £7.50. You cna get a little train from Harrogate one stop to near the gym so I'd just do that.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
cheshire
Reviewed 19 May 2009

My wife and I stayed at HDV for a 1 night. We were impressed upon arrival by the professional and helpful staff. They gladly came outside to advise / assist with parking which was reserved for hotel guests. We were told at check in that we had been upgraded to to the Ravenswood suite. It was about the same cost as the room we had selected overlooking the Stray (£230) but it was a suite, without much of a view on the back of the hotel!! Never the less it was a beautiful spacious room with a comfy bed, roll top bath, Monsoon shower, seperate lounge and 2 tvs.and a large balcony. The hotel is a converted terrace of Georgian houses and this leads to some constaints on the layout of rooms. The corridor that forms the spine of the hotel was noisy until housekeeping had finished which seemed to be around 5.30pm. as they were constantly running up and down the corridor with its squeaky floor boards!! I am been very critical here and it didnt really matter in the overall scheme of things.
We used the excellent bar area prior to dinner which had a nice feel to it and as you would expect a superb collection of wines were available at fair prices. Dinner was included and any three courses from the menu were available. the food was outstanding and the service was equally as good. The service charge was extra and added at 10% which we dont mind as long as the staff see it!!
I would recomend the hotel and congratutulate it on its front of house staff and service levels provided and look forward to a return visit soon.

Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 4 May 2009

We have just got back from the Hotel du Vin where we stayed for one night as an anniversary treat.

We had tickets for a Derren Brown concert at the International Centre (EXCELLENT show by the way) and it was convenient to stay in town and treat ourselves.

We stayed in the Pol Roger loft room which was fabulous. Roll top bath, twin walk-in monsoon showers in a HUGE bathroom. Enormous bed, lounge area etc etc. There were no extra "treats" like biscuits, chocs or mints and no turn-down service.

I got the "passport du Vin" deal on the internet which gives 1% off for ever year of your age if pre-booked on that deal. Luckily I printed off the booking e-mail...

On check-out the receptionist raised an eyebrow when I presented my passport as proof of age. The booking had registered at full rack rate. I handed over my printout as proof and after a flurry of activity and computer checking and re-checking I was offered the discount. I got one of best rroms in the hotel for £156. Still not cheap, but lot cheaper than the £280 rack rate!

The hotel is very stylish and modern with a youngish clientele (a shade younger than me anyway!) The interior decor is quite dark, but comfortable. There is no lift to the top floor loft apartments, so the top flight must be walked.

We didn't eat at the Hotel (chosing to have a light and early supper at Betty's tearooms before the performance). We also had breakfsat at Betty's next morning (it's just over the road). This worked out cheaper than taking it at the Hotel du Vin and with a better ambience and view!

I'm not sure I'd stay there again(unless I got an even cheaper deal!) but it was a lovely one-off experience that suited our plans.