“Elegant and comfortable”

Hotel du Vin and Bistro
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 29 October 2009

We were here for a reunion with friends and had a special deal which made the stay quite good value. Our room was at the front with a lovely view over the Stray. The staff were extremely helpful, for instance regarding parking. We had dinner in the restaurant which was fine.
The building, the location and the general comfort made this a memorable stay. Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 October 2009

I stayed in HDV Harrogate for 3 nights while at a conference. The hotel is right in the centre of the town and a very easy walk to everywhere. 5 minutes to the station 7 to the conference centre and only one minute from the shops.
I thought it was better run than some HDV properties. The food in the bistro was good, the staff helpful the room was well laid out and comfortable. I had a large front facing double and had a bath in the bedroom which was actually quite nice.
For breakfast and dinner we were given a lovely table overlooking the park
The only problem was I found the hotel room noisy. While we overlooked the park called the Stray there is actually a really busy main road between the hotel and the park and traffic started early at about 6am including lorries. The building doesn't have double glazing presumably because it is listed. Also on Thursday night there was a disco I think in the pub next door which meant no early night but it did finish promptly at 11. Also my bed seemed to be right next to the pump for the next door rooms shower and when they came in at midnight and had a long shower it woke me and kept me awake. I didn't have a good nights sleep any night at the hotel which is very unusual for me.
Maybe a cheaper room at the back would have been better.
PS Internet is only free for half an hour at a time

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 September 2009

Rumours of the demise of HdV are greatly exaggerated.

When HdV first hit the UK it was a welcome departure from the norm. The bistro had always been good, and we even chose our nearest HdV in Winchester for some very special occasions.

Recently, I'd heard rumours about a drop in quality, particularly with the bistro, so it was with a bit of trepidation that we decided to stay at HdV Harrogate to finish off our short trip around Yorkshire. The rate made it an absolute no-brainer - £125 for dinner, bed and breakfast.

Well, all I can say is that HdV - based on this experience - has still very much 'got it'. HdV Harrogate is rather more grandiose than HdV Winchester, but the decor is familiar and our room, though small, was comfortable, and along with the bathroom, well appointed. Parking right outside is a real bonus too given how difficult it can be to find space for your car in Harrogate.

As for the Bistro, well, it was heaving. Packed to the rafters from the time we got there till we left. Service was excellent, and the sommelier's wine recommendations made for superb matches with each course. Thankfully, service wasn't overly stuffy either - one of the waiting staff sharing a few almost risque jokes with us!

One negative about our room..... its proximity to the night club opposite. We coped, but I can imagine it would be too much for a good few people.

All-in-all, really very good, and with that crackerjack of a rate, you'd be mad to miss out.

Reviewed 16 September 2009

We stayed in this romantic hotel for our anniversary and it was beautiful. One problem as we had a special offer of £99 B+B, and it was the bank holiday weekend, the hotel was full and we got the smallest room available. It was nicely furbished and of good standards, however the window looked onto the back brick wall, not at all pretty. The restaurant and bar was great, Friday evening life music, loving it. Staff is extremely friendly and efficient. Dinner and breakfast was great, thank you. There was a small issue with the bill, but it has been corrected immediately.
My only trouble was that the night receptionist forgot to close the door of the backyard gate, which was tossed against the lock and wall all night by the wind and this kept me from sleeping. I did not figure out the source of the noise till the early morning, at which point I did not bother talking to the night receptionist anymore For this simple reason I am happy I stayed only for one night. Once I was at home, I had to catch up on the sound sleep.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2009

A very impressive hotel in a good location with parking. I stayed for 2 nights and was offered a room with it's own entrance, which is basically in the basement.
Nothing else was available at the time. The first night was very noisy. This room was located directly under reception where the floor is timber. So every foot step or movement of a chair could be heard. I could not belive how busy it was even in the middle of the night!
In the morning I asked to be moved to another room which they did, but only available was another room in the basement! This was located under the dining room. Was quiet until they started to prepare for breakfast about 6. So another disturbed nights sleep.

I cannot comment on the other rooms, or dinner, but the bar is impressive and well stocked and breakfast was good.

In conclusion - a good hotel, a bit on the expensive side, but avoid the basement rooms if you want a decent nights sleep!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 September 2009

I was lucky enough to be treated to a two-night stay in a stunning suite at this ideally situated hotel in Harrogate. This is the third Hotel du Vin I have stayed in and as ever I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The familiar HdV touches add a warm, 'familiar' feel but highlight the extraordinary beauty of the character buildings. The hotel commendeers an impressive location amongst a row of Georgian buildings as you enter the town and overlooks an extensive common to the front.

Our suite was romantic, spacious, with boutique style decor, a roll-top bath and a luxurious Monsoon shower - I did not want to leave the confines of the stunning room! The reception staff were friendly, welcoming and even offered to store my bicycle behind reception! (which I did not end up doing). We paid a reasonable £5 for parking just outside the hotel with a very helpful member of staff showing us the space. The cellar room had both a secretive and inviting air to it with a great billiard table (missing a black ball though!).

My main criticism focuses on the fact that HdV IS very expensive, despite its boutique appeal. For the prices charged I feel at the very least breakfast should be included, fresh milk in the mini bar and parking. My other criticism is rather misfortunate - there was a wedding party that had unexpected guests that totally ruined our first night by turning the hotel into a stag/hen type nightmare with noisy, inconsiderate guests who further blighted their reputation by poisoning the fish in the pond. Considering the romantic, intimate appeal that characterises the hotel, I would expect IF parties of people use the facilities there should be a separate, private section for these functions. This aside, I loved my stay at the HdV Harrogate and would return if the opportunity arose.

Reviewed 4 September 2009

Had a 1 night stay here on 24th August. Hotel has its own parking, which was an added bonus. Check in very quick. Excellent room overlooking the park with a very good quality bed. Evening meal was extremely good and our waiter for the night 'Dan' was excellent. Breakfast was good quality, the service was very efficient.
Great location, great staff, will stay here again without a doubt