“I Still want to go again despite...”

Hotel du Vin and Bistro
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“I Still want to go again despite...”
Reviewed 9 October 2010

I stayed here last minute on a Friday night. When checking in I was told the room was noisy and it was! I couldn't say I hadn't been warned but at 0300-0400 in the morning why does the night staff person have to repeatedly move the chair/furniture at the desk/office knowing a guest is in the room underneath? I booked for dinner and the bistro appeared full. My order went astray and after 50 plus minutes an alert member of staff noticed. They apologised, offered a starter which I declined and then removed the service charge from my bill. Luckily I had a good book. Both couples either side did start to talk to me noting my apparent abandonment. I don't mind eating/staying alone, but the more timid visitor could have been put off.
Breakfast was excellent, both service and food, and I put the previous nights service down to a glitch. The staff were friendly and the young lady on the reception was excellent, multi-tasking whilst her two male colleagues directed customers/queries/phone enquiries to her. I sat in the courtyard after breakfast which was peaceful and I decided I definitely wanted to return, but would book a quiet room, bring my partner and hope for better service at dinner.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2010

When I made the room reservation over the internet on the hotel's own website I could not find anywhere that stated what the check-in time was. So I phoned the hotel and the receptionist stated that we check-in time is 3pm on the day of arrival but if the room was ready then we could go in early. My husband and I toyed with the idea of going early because it was the first weekend away by ourselves since the birth of our son but we decided against it and arrived at 3pm on the Saturday. The receptionist was a young girl who didn't seem to know what was going on and told us that the room would not be ready until 4pm. We did not complain as we didn't want to spoil our weekend but that was the first thing. Another thing I noticed is that the receptionist didn't ask us if we wanted any papers in the morning nor did she mention breakfast and I had to ask where to go in the morning and I wanted to check that it was, indeed, included in the price to avoid embarrassment.

When we eventually got into our room I would say it was pleasant enough (I think it was a medium priced room on the second floor it was called Meerlust), a bit tired in places and my husband noticed that they had put a block under the bed to hold it up/stabilise it. I would say that the Du Vin do well in the bathroom; they give you robes; you can take their bath products home with you (we didn't this time); and the monsoon shower is nice. There was a fan in the room, it's purpose becoming evident when we came back in later and the room was absolutely roasting hot!

We had quite a few drinks at the bar later on in the evening and I must say the staff were knowledgable about the drinks available. If you enjoy cocktails or a wide variety of alcohol in a trendy, atmospheric bar then I would definitely drink here. There is also a pool table downstairs with views into the vast cellar which I thought was pretty cool. I liked the idea that there was different areas to sit and enjoy a drink.

We didn't eat in the Bistro because we read some reviews on here and I'm glad we didn't because breakfast in the morning was disappointing in the fact that the 'Manager' was dour faced and had a bad attitude. The waitress was also dour faced and did not look as though she wanted to be there (I must say there was a young chap who was very pleasant).

I would probably come back here because it was central and I liked the building and the bar. As I said the room was average but I would probably ask to see the other rooms if possible so you know what to expect if you wanted an upgrade or if the other rooms are any better.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
york
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Stayed for partners birthday room tiny and not luxury at all! Room was called champy. Unbelievably hot. Wish id stayed in a b&b ruined our wknd on what was meant to be special.

• Stayed August 2010
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Stayed here on the deal where you spend in the bistro and stay for reduced rate! Room was excellent, no view but didn't book for that. Bed comfortable and bath and shower great. Food in bistro was lovely not big portions but what we had was great. All staff were attentive and friendly. Had to pay to park but they let us stat until we had finished in the spa. Oh did I mention the spa had a lovely facial , hubby back massage! Overall was a excellent stay and would def go again!

• Stayed September 2010
Leeds, England
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Vary rarely have I felt the need to put the keyboard to use to criticise an establishment, I prefer usually to concentrate on positives. However if you are reading this you have probably gathered I am about to bark on an alternative style of review. Let’s start with the positives. The rooms and ambience at HDV in Harrogate are as good as the rest of the chain. Although issues like now being asked to pay for parking is a little irritating when you are already paying premium room prices. Front desk on arrival was good and informative and the rooms themselves are certainly high standard, very comfortable and even bordering on luxurious. Now let’s get down to the point of where things went wrong. The restaurant was very disappointing and the subsequent treatment of my complaint at best corporate jargon and at worst very patronising. We sat down to eat on a Sunday evening and fortunately the company was good and entertaining as a wait of around an hour between courses seemed a little excessive. When the food arrived it became apparent that there had been some issues with the meals being prepared at the same time. One of the meals was a steak which was served cold and when this was pointed out to the staff it came back five minutes later sliced and warmed up. Not quite what was expected on a fine cut of meat! One of the other meals had been kept warm so long it was inedible and was sent back. I suppose on the bright side 50% of the food was acceptable. That is until becoming ill later that evening with food poisoning symptoms. Not a great start to a relaxing stay over in Harrogate. What followed then was a series of e-mails requesting further specific information from me to enable a full investigative charade to be entered into. Ten days later I received a lovely account of how the facts had been studied and no problem had been found with the kitchen or food preparation. Slightly ironic how they over looked serving one of the meals cold and the other inedible after a one hour wait! Maybe the facts of the evening should have stood on their own rather than letting the corporate consultants loose on the situation. Our friends on the evening have been offered 50% off a return meal visit. A hell of a concession given that 50% of the food was terrible. Customer service is paramount in any business and I am sure the HDV group will survive well in the future without my custom.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dta0307
london
Reviewed 29 August 2010

The Hotel is fabulous. Set within a stones throw from big gardens, the city centre and most importantly Betty's tea shop.
We were greeted very well by the reception staff and porter.
The room was huge with a main bedroom and on a mezannine floor the living area where our two under 5s slept. The bathroom was lovely with roll top bath and walk in rain shower.
We decided to eat in the bistro as there was a £10 for 2 courses offer and with under 5s we did not want to trapse around the town and we had done pizza express earlier in the week. The service was very bad for a 5 star hotel.
They pushed two tables together to fit us in but failed to remove the dounble salt and pepper pots and doubles of olive oils and remove the wine glasses that our under 5s would not be using. They took ages to serve us and sort out the food especially for two very imaptient under 5s. Having said all that the food in my opinion was lovely. We ordered steak frites for the adults and one portion of fish and chips for the kiddies and it was all reasonably sized and I thought the steak was gorgeous considering it was rump it was better than finer more expensive cuts of meats I have had elsewhere. The puddings were not so good - the peach melba was average and the apple tartin with blue cheese ice cream was OK but the ice cream was DISGUSTING!
We went to the fair after dinner and the kids loved it and it was within scootering distance for them and we got back to have a lovely bath and a wonderful nights sleep in a sumptous bed despite the noise from the pub downstairs.
Breakfast in the morning was excellent. All the stuff you would want from a continental breakfast with just one minor gripe that the fruit selection whilst lovely was a little thin on the ground. The full English was good. the coffee and juices were lovely and eveything that was supposed to be hot was very hot. The best part was that most was self service so you did not have to wait on useless waiting staff.
Great place. A little expensive but considering its in beautiful harrogate its a posh hotel and a great location for shops and leisure pretty good value and the reception staff at check out were very efficient.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Great Location in the heart of town close to the shops. We got parked outside the hotel, but there were not that many spaces. Quite hip and funky hotel design, narrow stairs and corridors. Our room was quite small but had a good bed and bathroom. Unfortunately the room was very hot overnight. Dinner was quite a simple menu but food was good, wine quite expensive though. Service was professional. Breakfast was quite continental in style with a good display and nice plate of cooked food. We would certainly return, but ask for a larger room next time.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple