“Excellent relaxing time.”

Hotel du Vin and Bistro
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 10 November 2010

On route to the Hotel Du Vin we looked at the Tripadvisor website and was horrified by the stuff we read about this hotel, and when arriving we told our concerns to the Manager Saskia who assured us that we would have none of these problems.

All I can say is my Wife and I were very impressed with the level of service with this hotel, the atmosphere, and the loft room in which we stayed. ( especially the twin baths in the bathroom)
The massages from Nadine in the Spa were again some of the best we have ever experienced, so to anyone wanting to have a fantastic relaxing romantic weekend in the beautiful town of Harrogate we would recommend the Hotel Du Vin.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tim210362
Write a ReviewReviews (1,179)

Reviewed 3 November 2010

We LOVE HdV. But sadly this hotel is not up to their regular standards. We stayed in the Wolf Blass room. Alas, HdV have decided to let rooms that sit right below the restaurant and kitchen. It was an incredibly noisy stay. The restaurant has lovely wood flooring.... but there is little insulation between this and your bed. From our room we could hear every foot step and conversation. The noise stopped around 12:30am but started again at around 6 with trolleys and deliveries being dragged across our ceiling. We did not sleep well despite burying our heads under pillows to try to muffle the noise. And unfortunately we were not warned. These rooms should not be let. We raised it with reception and the lovely staff ensured us they would pass it onto management. It sounded like a well rehearsed response as I'm sure every visitor has the same feedback. It's a shame HdV have not fixed this issue as based on past reviews it has been going on for quite a while. The Studley Hotel in Harrogate is a far superior choice. Or HdV in York is brilliant and only 20 miles away. If you insist on staying in HdV Harrogate, make your point by only staying in rooms on the first floor or above. And bring ear plugs.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2010

It was just really dissappointing at a hotel du vin to be treated like people with no brains. They took the p*ss from the start. We did get our room and dinner down to a reasonable price at the end after 40 minutes of complaining at check out but they honestly made you feel like liars and theives by standing up for our rights. All the food was wrong, the bedroom lacked maintence and it was noisey all through the night. It was what I expected at all after the great things i heard about hotel du vins but I wil never be using them again. Definately sticking with Premier Inns, you get exactly what it says on the tin and more!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2010

In serious need of a clean up.

The room was grubby, noisy and in need of some serious TLC. The shower didnt work properly - unless you like a good bracing cold shower. The hotel staff were below the standards set by other branches of Hotel Du Vin e.g., Henley, Winchester.

Breakfast was far too slow in service and well below expectations. We nearly walked out whilst waiting for cooked breakfast. The Bistro had a handful of tables populated. A disaster.

Such a shame that this location is badly letting the brand down. Henley and Winchester would look on with shock and amazement at the quality of decor, service and overall ambience created by staff who shuffle about and are unwilling to help - asking 'if we want to see the manager!?' NO, sort it out yourself - perhaps they work in fear!!!

Very disappointing stay. Would definitely avoid when in the area next time. Hotel Du Vin Henley, Hotel Du Vin Winchester - see you soon :)

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I walked into reception to book a table in the restaurant. What a dump . The furniture looks revolting, i have seen better sofas at the local tip!, Two minutes in the place and i walked out, no way was i taking my guests there.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The Hotel du Vin Harrogate follows the standard HdV formula, being an old building (in this case a stretch of Victorian terrace) stylishly converted into a modern, hip hotel. The combination of the best of the traditional and modern is a winning formula anywhere and no more so than in the well-to-do town of Harrogate. The hotel would be wonderful were it not let down by a few points of detail and poor service.

When we arrived mid afternoon we immediately found ourselves in a queue at the reception desk. Sometimes these things can’t be helped, but the annoying thing was that as soon as we got to the front the receptionist answered a telephone call without even a glance, nod or smile in our direction. The impression was of someone who was not only unprofessional but also extremely rude. Five minutes later and she was still talking on the ‘phone, trying to give directions to someone who’d got lost in Harrogate’s one-way traffic system. Fortunately, the situation was rescued by one of the young foreign staff who spotted the problem and then very politely checked us in and showed us to our room. This young woman was most helpful and had a far better attitude than the more senior local woman we left gassing on the ‘phone.

The room was spacious, kitted out with high quality furniture and stylishly decorated. The bathroom was of the usual HdV standard and supplied with the best toiletries I’ve found at any hotel. One odd thing about the room, though, was the lack of air-con – did they run out of money during the conversion? The room got quite hot at night (at the beginning of October), so I imagine it must have been insufferable at the height of summer. There were two other problems: the CD player did not work and the TV belonged in a museum.

We had a good meal in the hotel restaurant – not the best I’ve eaten at an HdV but okay nonetheless. As usual, there was an extensive wine list but the mark-ups on most bottles were excessively steep. The service was variable. The waitresses were absolutely fine but some of the waiters were gauche and awkward and simply not cut out to do the job (this seems to be a common problem at British hotels). To be fair, their task was not made easy by the fact that there were far too many tables crammed into the room.

The service at breakfast the following morning was absolutely shocking. The restaurant manager couldn’t remember whether we’d ordered tea or coffee and had to ask us twice. The waiter also forgot our order, which wouldn’t have been so bad had he managed to get it right the second time; he didn’t – my wife finished up with bacon with her eggs Benedict rather than the smoked salmon she’d ordered. Two of the waiters contrived to bump into each other and sent a tray flying across the room. Both guys looked at each other very angrily and I half expected a fight to break out! Still, I have to say the food we were served was very good.

Overall it was an enjoyable experience; but the bill for a one-night stay with a three-course dinner for two (including a modest bottle of wine) and a spa treatment for one, came in at just under £400! Really, there were too many wrong notes to justify that price.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2010

I stayed here last minute on a Friday night. When checking in I was told the room was noisy and it was! I couldn't say I hadn't been warned but at 0300-0400 in the morning why does the night staff person have to repeatedly move the chair/furniture at the desk/office knowing a guest is in the room underneath? I booked for dinner and the bistro appeared full. My order went astray and after 50 plus minutes an alert member of staff noticed. They apologised, offered a starter which I declined and then removed the service charge from my bill. Luckily I had a good book. Both couples either side did start to talk to me noting my apparent abandonment. I don't mind eating/staying alone, but the more timid visitor could have been put off.
Breakfast was excellent, both service and food, and I put the previous nights service down to a glitch. The staff were friendly and the young lady on the reception was excellent, multi-tasking whilst her two male colleagues directed customers/queries/phone enquiries to her. I sat in the courtyard after breakfast which was peaceful and I decided I definitely wanted to return, but would book a quiet room, bring my partner and hope for better service at dinner.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo