“Disappointing and overpriced cafe”
Review of Baltzersens Ltd

Baltzersens Ltd
Ranked #33 of 442 Restaurants in Harrogate
Cuisines: Norwegian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Disappointing and overpriced cafe”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I have recommended Baltzersens to many people and have praised their cakes and open sandwiches which were amazing. Sadly the owner has decided to change this and now an open sandwich consists of a tiny slice of rye bead with a couple of prawns and finger nail sized circles of avocado. There is no garnish,just a dollop of potato salad. I questioned this and was told it was new policy.
I have eaten there at night and found the same....tiny portions which are over priced. I do not need to be told that this all makes it more authentically Norwegian. I am quite sure that Norwegians also like value for money. It may taste nice, but frankly there is so little of it to taste.
The cafe was virtually empty at lunchtime, and I think that this change of menu is an own goal. I like to support independent business, but will be looking for somewhere else offering better value in future.

Visited July 2014
PaulR681, Owner at Baltzersens Ltd, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Hi Rose,

You've now reviewed Norse, our evening service, and the new menu at Baltzersen's and enjoyed neither.

Naturally I disagree with your descriptions of our food in both cases and think they are quite unfair to our chefs - but it's a matter of opinion.

I'm sorry that our menu no longer suits your requirements as a customer but I have to make the decisions that I feel are right for the business and I accept the consequences.

I hope you find somewhere more to your liking.

Paul

North Yorkshire
“Not a good change”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Used to love coming here for their small sized gluten free open sandwiches - even persuaded my husband to join me on a number of occasions; ate here today, first time with the new menu. very disappointed. Am aware that the old menu was excellent value for money and the new may be more authentic Norwegian but I much prefer the old menu!

Please consider putting some of the old favourites back on, even if they have to increase in price.

With all the new restaurants opening in Harrogate recently Baltzersens will no longer be on my favourite list.

The many empty seats at 1.30pm, where once one always queued at this time is an indication that I am not alone in my thoughts!
Such a pity....

PaulR681, Owner at Baltzersens Ltd, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Hi Gingerpink,

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback about our menu change.

Sorry to hear the new menu is not to your taste and we understand that for some people this will mean that they can no longer visit us.

You have obviously read the previous response so I won't go over that which has already been said. We honestly believe that these changes are moving Baltzersen's forward, so feel we must continue to develop and improve the new menu.

As you say there is no shortage of new options opening up in town so we hope you find one to suit your needs.

Paul
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Unwelcome Change”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have always enjoyed eating at Baltzersens and particularly enjoyed the open sandwiches which are shown on the TripAdvisor photo. Unfortunately, they have recently changed their menu and are no longer serving sandwiches as shown. Really disappointed: the replacement lunch is not particularly appetising in my opinion. Also, it is not such good value when compared with the open sandwiches they used to serve.
On a positive note the cakes are still delicious. Many lunch time diners seemed to be having just coffee and cakes. Feels more like a good coffee shop now.

2 Thank libertatem
PaulR681, Owner at Baltzersens Ltd, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Hi Libertatem,

Thanks for leaving us some feedback on the recent changes we have made to the menu, we are encouraging customers to leave us feedback via comments cards in-house too.

Very sad to hear you found the new menu unappetising, we've put a lot of effort into devising what we think is a more interesting and authentic menu. As we move towards colder weather there will also be some additional hot options that we are really excited about.

We concede that other customers have given us the same opinion with respect to value for money when compared to the old menu. The truth of the situation is that portion sizes on our former menu had gotten out of control and although it was great value for the customer it was no longer a viable option from a business perspective. We honestly believe that when judged in isolation the new sandwiches represent good value for the quality of ingredients and taste.

We are still tweaking the new menu and perhaps we can persuade you to come and give the sandwiches another try, but if not hopefully we can still welcome you for a coffee and cake.

Do feel free to follow up with me in the cafe if you do come in and give us a bit more detail about how we could improve the offer to tempt you back (I'm the one with the biggest beard!).

Paul.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“A bit different”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This little gem serves something a little different from your average cafe. The cakes and pastries all look so delicious, you really want to try them all even if you can't pronounce their name! Sandwiches are well presented, good quality and exceptionally tasty. As they are open sandwiches and eaten with cutlery, it feels more like eating a meal than a sandwich. The homemade potato salad is delicious. The coffee is flavoursome, the staff friendly and the prices very reasonable. I've enjoyed every visit and look forward to trying their new evening menu.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Came for a cup of tea, now coming back for lunch.”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I've never written a review before but this shop deserves a great one.
I stumbled across it around 9am while looking for somewhere to have a cup of tea. They have a selection of 8 teas which they make from leaves and are delicious.
The staff are friendly and aim to please without their conversation sounding forced as I find with other shops.
The music is perfect chill out music; relaxing songs yet modern and the menu looks so good I'm gutted I've already eaten breakfast and I'm coming here for lunch.

1 Thank Yoinkers