“Awesome Roast!!”

Ranked #293 of 455 Restaurants in Harrogate
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 May 2014

It is a carvery, but it has the niftiest carvery unit I have seen - keeps all the moisture in so the quality of the food is spot on :-)
Great location, very family friendly and super service.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Tried here after our usual haunt we go to when visiting Harrogate was disappointing. There was a great choice of meat and vegetables, we will be returning

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I am quite a carvery connoisseur and always go out for Sunday lunch whenever possible. having had the empress recommended to us we thought we would give it a try and were extremely impressed. So much so that I would give it a 9.5 out of 10, which is the most I've ever given anywhere!!and It only lost a half mark due to the gravy being a bit too thick! And that is nitpicking.there was a choice of 5 different meats, the lamb was delicious and succulent, and the pork perfect too. The array of veg was amazing and all what I would call proper fresh veg, not frozen or overcooked rubbish, and the best of all, fantastic roast potatoes. Delicious. Anyone who slates this place is really either completely impossible to please, and must not even be a fan of Sunday lunch as far as I can tell. And this is the first time I've ever left a review on here.. I felt so impressed to have finally found the almost perfect Sunday lunch out of hundreds of places tried over the years. I am even impressed they serve it til 7pm as I have having to dash somewhere before they either stop serving at 2 or run out of meat. Well done empress. We'll be regulars from now on.

1  Thank stargirla
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Thought we would give our usual eatery a miss this week for our Sunday lunch and try the much raved about Empress on the Stray... Sadly I wish we hadn't bothered, although there was a friendly warm atmosphere on arrival we were sat on a dirty tiny table ! next to a couple with a DOG on there lap !! It was time for the food .... Now i know its a carvery and you can see it, so you don't have to chose it if you dont want to !! The meat choice was Extensive an if you wished you could have a piece of all !! but unfortunately i was served the largest piece of glupy yuckiest bit of summit called Turkey turned out to be the Skin .. The Yorkshire puddings were well BLACK when i questioned the gent serving he just laughed n said " yes just a tad" the veg was under cooked less than aldenty all in different chipped dishes, parsnips well they were either deep fried or like the Yorkshires OVER BAKED so they snapped NOT NICE .. Sorry Guys a few changes are required, and the chef /cook needs further lessons on How NOT to BURN n SERVE.... First Time n Last, I would love to hope this was a one off but i should have taken heed of the neg comments read on this site :-)

2  Thank yvonne g
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I have been visiting The Empress On The Stray on a regular basis with my husband over the last 12 months and have yet to be disappointed.
We have always received a very warm welcome from both staff and other regulars alike no matter when we have attended.

It's a great place to pop in for a drink after a hectic day to relax for an hour or so before going home and sorting out the evening meal.
Nice choice of wines and spirits and hubby says the beers are always excellent.

We have tried the legendary Sunday Carvery on a couple of occasions and it really is superb. I have read some of the other revues on this site and i can't believe anyone would not enjoy it as there is just so much choice.
The one thing i don't understand from one of the revues is that, if you can see the Carvery before you buy it, why would you buy it if things looked burnt?
(Maybe that's just me)
If you'd like to see the Carvery without even visiting the pub, there is a superb video on You Tube that did have over 30,000 views and made the local press for going viral before it was altered recently for some reason.
Just type in Sunday lunch Harrogate and i'm sure you will find it, that way you can judge for your self.