“Best Sunday Carvery Ever”

The Empress On The Stray
Ranked #274 of 436 Restaurants in Harrogate
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Best Sunday Carvery Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Imagine a carvery with the most tender cooked, juicy meat you've ever tasted, vegetables that are cooked fresh, as much meat as you like, the thickest and tastiest gravy ever...then imagine the Empress! This carvery is amazing! At first we thought it was quite pricey for a carvery, but after the first bite we realised it was worth every penny!

This is honestly the best carvery I have ever eaten (and i've eaten a lot of carverys!). I shouldn't really recommend this as the pub is only small and the more trade they get then the less tables there will be inside and I might not get a seat, however I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking for a top notch carvery in a lovely little pub with great views!

• Visited July 2013

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Awesome Roast!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

It is a carvery, but it has the niftiest carvery unit I have seen - keeps all the moisture in so the quality of the food is spot on :-)
Great location, very family friendly and super service.

Visited April 2014
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Great Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Tried here after our usual haunt we go to when visiting Harrogate was disappointing. There was a great choice of meat and vegetables, we will be returning

• Visited May 2014
“Excellent carvery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

I am quite a carvery connoisseur and always go out for Sunday lunch whenever possible. having had the empress recommended to us we thought we would give it a try and were extremely impressed. So much so that I would give it a 9.5 out of 10, which is the most I've ever given anywhere!!and It only lost a half mark due to the gravy being a bit too thick! And that is nitpicking.there was a choice of 5 different meats, the lamb was delicious and succulent, and the pork perfect too. The array of veg was amazing and all what I would call proper fresh veg, not frozen or overcooked rubbish, and the best of all, fantastic roast potatoes. Delicious. Anyone who slates this place is really either completely impossible to please, and must not even be a fan of Sunday lunch as far as I can tell. And this is the first time I've ever left a review on here.. I felt so impressed to have finally found the almost perfect Sunday lunch out of hundreds of places tried over the years. I am even impressed they serve it til 7pm as I have having to dash somewhere before they either stop serving at 2 or run out of meat. Well done empress. We'll be regulars from now on.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank stargirla
“Dissapointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Thought we would give our usual eatery a miss this week for our Sunday lunch and try the much raved about Empress on the Stray... Sadly I wish we hadn't bothered, although there was a friendly warm atmosphere on arrival we were sat on a dirty tiny table ! next to a couple with a DOG on there lap !! It was time for the food .... Now i know its a carvery and you can see it, so you don't have to chose it if you dont want to !! The meat choice was Extensive an if you wished you could have a piece of all !! but unfortunately i was served the largest piece of glupy yuckiest bit of summit called Turkey turned out to be the Skin .. The Yorkshire puddings were well BLACK when i questioned the gent serving he just laughed n said " yes just a tad" the veg was under cooked less than aldenty all in different chipped dishes, parsnips well they were either deep fried or like the Yorkshires OVER BAKED so they snapped NOT NICE .. Sorry Guys a few changes are required, and the chef /cook needs further lessons on How NOT to BURN n SERVE.... First Time n Last, I would love to hope this was a one off but i should have taken heed of the neg comments read on this site :-)

• Visited November 2013