“Wonderful Car... Awful Experience.”
Review of Great Escape Cars - CLOSED

Great Escape Cars
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I hired a car from Great Escape for a weekend as a wedding gift for my husband. The initial service i received was wonderful. They arranged for the car to be delivered to me the day before the wedding for a delivery fee, which was brilliant. The car arrived alot later than arranged on the Friday which was rather irritating but not the end of the world and also had no number plate on the rear. Which inconvenienced us slightly in having to find a laminator at 8pm on a friday isnt the easiest thing. but again... not the end of the world.
The car was wonderful on the saturday, my husband loved it and it was incredibly well looked after. He was so thrilled it was everything i had hoped for.
On the second day of the car hire the car broke down.
I then contacted the owner of the company, Graham, about a refund for the money that i had paid to hire the car.
Once they had decided that the car had been damaged by a previous hirer and that we were not at fault they informed me that they would be in touch to discuss compensation arrangements.
I waited 4 weeks for someone to get back in touch with me. numerous emails and telephone calls to be told that noone in the company could help us other than Graham and he was "out of the office, on holiday, not available" you name it we heard it.
After the 4 weeks I got an email from Graham offering two day hire and hotel provision or a refund for one days hire. As the moment had most definetly passed by this point i wanted the refund to be able to by a present for my husband that he could keep. I asked at that initial moment how much the refund would be and in 8 different emails over 3 weeks and was never told at any point what to expect. I was not told at any one point how much money was owing to me.
So when i finally received the refund into my account some 7 weeks after the initial complaint their administrator had put the incorrect amount of money back into my account.
The first i heard of this was a recorded delivery letter sent to the address of my aunt threatening legal action, claiming they had emailled and telephoned me and my husband on several occasions to ask for the money back. I find it incredibly hard to believe that BOTH of us have no history of these calls but there we are.
I believe the money i received back as "compensation" was a laughable amount compared to the amount of money i spent with this company. They then, after a day of exchanging emails, provided me with an alleged breakdown of the car hire, which surprisingly is different to what their website states. I am currently in liasion with CAB and trading standards about this company as what should have been a lovely weekend ended up becoming an incredily stressful situation. I cannot fault the car in any way shape or form. it was a wonderful car and my husband thought it was incredible to drive. I have however never in my life experienced such shocking customer service in my entire life. I suggest to anyone considering booking with this company to ask for a full quotation in writing just to be on the safe side as i would hate for anyone to have to go through what i have the last few weeks. I am sure they will write a response to this review trying to justify it to anyone who should read this, but i can assure you this is a full and accurate record of the events.

7  Thank HONEYPOTS10
gje99, Owner at Great Escape Cars, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

I was very concerned to read your review. As you know we have corresponded many times. I recognise the strength of feeling in your review but unfortunately not the sequence of events, despite your assertion. For the benefit of readers, this is what happened:

1. The previous hirer returned the car late and broke the number plate. We rang you immediately and advised you. We explained that we would arrange a replacement to be emailed to you. As the alternative was cancelling the hire - this happened too late to organise a new plate - we did agree that this was an acceptable solution. You appeared very happy to accept this solution. If otherwise we would have had to cancel the hire due to events over which neither party had any control
2. The car was not delivered 'very late.' It was delivered half an hour late due to attempting to sort out a replacement plate for you. On arrival I was not aware that this had caused any issues
3. When the car suffered the fault we assisted immediately by phone and arranged collection
4. You then went on honeymoon and emailed me asking for an update. I explained that we had checked the car but I did not update you as I didn't want to bother you on honeymoon
5. When you returned from honeymoon we exchanged emails and I offered the option of the weekend you mention or one day refund. You chose her refund. My email to you clearly states these two options and our website lists the price of the one day
6. The reason for the delay in offering this was because you were on honeymoon
7. As for the 'excuses' you refer to, I explained to you that I was dealing with a serious family illness and offered my apologies for the delay in responding to your various emails and ultimate therefore your refund due to this, You offered your condolences. I was not aware from your comments that you considered this to be excuses etc as you describe
8. I asked you to call with card details. When you did we refunded you. As you describe we inadvertently refunded you the full amount. As we had agreed one day, confirmed by email, this was clearly outside out agreement. We did not agree compensation as you accepted that the car had been used as you required and you turned down the offer of a weekend in the car.
9. On realising the error we called you and your husband. We also emailed you. I'm unable to explain why you didn't get any of these messages. I have checked our phone records and email and confirm that they show the calls were made
10. When you received our letter you called the office and said that you would only refund part of the sum because you felt you were due compensation. As we had made an agreement by email I could not agree to that.
11. We provided the hire cost breakdown for transparency. The figures are exactly as we discussed when you booked the car and include the discount we discussed. So of course they do not follow the price list on the website.
12. I am happy to discuss any points with CAB or Trading Standards.
I deeply regret that we have upset you so deeply but I am surprised by the change a in tone between our emails and the above review. I can only conclude that you are unhappy that we did not compensate you more fully. While I am very sorry that the car suffered failure and clearly I regret the inconvenience caused, this was not due to lack of maintenance and we clearly express this risk in our hire documentation. We hire hundreds of cars to hundreds of happy people every year and I think it fair to say that the events you describe are to quite ones at recognise. I will not be held to ransom for compensation by the threat of a bad Trip Advisor review.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We hired a red MGB for four days over our wedding weekend and it really added a special touch to the event. The car made such a change from the usual big wedding cars and featured in lots of our guests' photos. It was a bigger hit than we imagined it would be and made us really glad we'd hired it. The rental price for 4 days was cheaper than hiring a wedding car for a couple of hours so an overall winner!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have just returned from a wonderful day out on the Cotswolds Car Rally with Great Escape Classic Car Hire and have to say it was a real treat to be able to drive some of my favourite iconic classic cars, including the Jensen Interceptor the Jaguar Mk2 and the E-Type.

It was a superb way to spend the day and the pit stop lunch was very enjoyable. Even the weather played its part and was ideal for motoring in the countryside.

The whole event was very well organised and it was evident that a lot of thought and preparation had gone into making the day run so smoothly. Well done and thanks to everyone at Great Escape Classic Cars.

A highly recommended experience for any car enthusiast.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I booked the Jensen Intercepter from the Yorkshire site Great Escapes have and took advangtage of an excellent special offer that left the price too good to refuse! Tiny problem with booking as Great Escapes had an issue with their phone lines the day I called, but thisdidn't prevent the booking going ahead. I met Jamie at the location where the cars were stored on a very cold Monday evening in early February and was given a thorough explanation of the controls (I probably seemed a bit blaise to him, but I'm a real classic car nut and have driven loads! Despite this he made sure I was comfortable with the car before letting me loose). The car performed faultlessly for my trip to the lakes and back and really was superb - in fairness the car wasn't a 'mint' example but drove superbly, only issues I noted were some wear and tear on the body, but only what you'd expect for a car that was in use. I left my own car at the site while I had their car and it was stored safely. Returning the car was very straightforward. I booked another car on their great offer price for the summer and can't wait to return.

1  Thank Iain S