“Alexa House - a great weekend in Harrogate” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alexa House

Alexa House
Ranked #61 of 104 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Howden, United Kingdom
“Alexa House - a great weekend in Harrogate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Back from a weekend stay at Alexa House. Most say the room was lovely - super comfy bed and fresh crisp bedding a delight to relax in after looking around all the sights.

Breakfast was cooked to order in the morning which makes all the difference - nice and hot and just how we liked everything.

Sandra then gave us tips on what to do and see and even rang and booked us in at her favourite restaurant which was great too!

The car park was a bonus - one of the reasons we booked. Had to go around the block once to find it but it's just behind the main building via back road.

We will definitely be back.

Thanks Sandra!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alexa_HouseHarrogate, Owner at Alexa House, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you Peter it was lovely to meet you both
Looking forward to your next stay

Sandra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Birmingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

On a business trip and looking forward to my stay in Harrogate- been for a conference every year for 20 years- I was really disappointed compared to all my other experiences in this town. I found my room quite scruffy with holes in the wall and black dirty marks all over the walls, all the milk in the complementary tea tray was six months out of date so after a long drive to get to Harrogate and on needing a cup of tea I got a mouthful sour stinking tea! On explaining this to the owner I got more milk but no apology which was not polite in my book.

The hotel is next to the main road which is good for transport but the windows are not well sealed and all the noise from the traffic is really disruptive but worse than this is that at six in the morning a mysterious loud beeping noise woke me from my sleep, I got up to check it wasn't the fire alarm- it was that loud- but no one, nothing, no explanations or any attempt to turn it off! its still going on now an hour later!!!! Stay anywhere else but this place in Harrogate where there is so many good other b & b's, I will never return here!!!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank 71snowgirl71
Alexa_HouseHarrogate, Owner at Alexa House, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
I apologised for the milk, I am sure that not all of it can have been out of date as I had a new housekeeper in February who has possibly been adding new milk on top of old. We have now checked every room and made sure the milk is checked on every departure.
There are 2 holes in the wall where a shelf was, unfortunately a previous guest lent on it and broke the glass so another had to be fixed in place. The room will be redecorated as soon as feasible do cover these marks and the places where guests mark the walls with their suitcases.
This lady was determined not to enjoy her stay but rather request her money back which was probably the original objective.
Chippenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed here for one night for a family occasion in Harrogate. Good location with the ability to walk into town and with it's own car park. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly, given our keys and were offered access to the free WiFi.

Me and my partner stayed in one room in the main house and my parents stayed in an opposite room. Both rooms were an adequate size with an en-suite, they were clean throughout with towels and shower gels provided in the bathroom. Both rooms had a TV, wardrobe, safe and dressing table included. There was also a kettle and variety of hot drinks provided, the only disappointed with this was that the milk given was rather unpleasant. The only other disappointment was the lack of water pressure on both showers and the time it took for the hot water to come through, more like a 'lick and a promise'.

Overall we very much enjoyed our brief stay and were able to continue with it without too much or too little fuss. I would definitely recommend Alexa House to a friend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sailingonaHobycat
Alexa_HouseHarrogate, Owner at Alexa House, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
I am sorry you didn't like the UHT Milk... if you had asked me you would have been welcome to a jug of fresh milk.

The water pressure in the main building has been a bit hit and miss, we are working on a solution with the plumber now.

Kind regards

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed in room 2 in February 2014. For only £82 bed and breakfast we considered it excellent value considering the free car park (I stayed in a hotel in Harrogate last summer which charged £5 per night for parking), the handy location (only a ten minute stroll down the hill into the centre of Harrogate), the tasty and extensive breakfast and clean and comfortable room, complete with White Company toileteries. My only slight criticism would be the shower's poor water pressure.

The owner was very welcoming and helpful and I wouldn't hesistate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 2 very nice. Overlooks the main road but we experienced only minimal road noise when the window...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alexa_HouseHarrogate, Owner at Alexa House, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found that that town is only a short walk
You obviously wear the same running shoes as me :)
Look forward to seeing you again
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

we went to the alexa for the weekend and it was clean and the lady sandra was very nice she was helpful and the breakfast was lovely i will go back again when we go anywhere the most important things to us are the room clean,the bed clean,somewhere to park our car and friendly staff and this had it all and a beautiful breakfast what more would you need thank you sandra you have a lovely home and you made us feel very welcome thank you

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank roz s
Thank you so much for your kind review
Its lovely to meet people who really enjoy coming to Harrogate too
I do hope you come back
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

I was disappointed with my experience after reading all of the other reviews on here. The room was ok if not a bit on the small side but the bathroom was ridiculous. I'm 5ft 2 and couldn't stand up in the bath to have a shower or lie down fully to have a bath.

It also wasn't as close as other reviews suggest and is at least a 15 minute walk into harrogate.

All in all it's a nice b&b but not worth the price.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louise186411
Alexa_HouseHarrogate, Owner at Alexa House, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
I am sorry you found the bathroom small

I hope you enjoyed your stay in Harrogate
Eccleshall, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

We've just returned from a two night stay at Alexa House. We stayed in Room 2 with a comfortable king-size bed but the room itself was small and the en-suite very snug (although the shower itself was a good size). It was all okay but slightly dusty and with a strange dark pink chandelier in a green room and generally in need of some attention.

The main problem was the poor water pressure in the shower and the fact that on the first morning we couldn't get it hotter than luke warm and on the second morning it was cold (despite hot water in the basin tap). A cold shower is not a good start to a freezing November morning. On the second morning, other guests were also talking about the poor water pressure.

When upon checking out I mentioned the shower problem to Sandra, she said she would call the plumber back but she did not seem too concerned about our discomfort nor apologetic. We had paid in full upon arrival and I did not ask for any compensation nor was it offered.

We come to Harrogate each year and have stayed in several establishments and know the prices and standards to expect. This was expensive for the standard of room and shower room although we understand that Alexa House is popular with returning guests so perhaps we were unlucky with our room / stay.

Clearly there are some positives about this B & B but we were disappointed with our experience this year which is a shame.

Room Tip: If Room 2 ask about the shower
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Christine S
décor is a matter of individual taste and I am sure you will be surprised to know that Room 2 is actually very popular.

The water heater has now been attended to and the pressure difficulty adjusted.

I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay

Kind regards