“Disappointing”

Price range: US$14 - US$41
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A stylish, contemporary wine bar restaurant in central Harrogate (just opposite Waitrose car park exit). Modern British A La Carte evening menu with wine by the glass pairings, extensive wine list, English Sparkling Wine, selection of bottled Yorkshire Ales and Cider, even a local Pilsner! Kids menu (child friendly facilities including high-chairs and baby-changing) and activity bags. Above all, relaxed, comfortable, on your terms.
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We phoned for a reservation on Saturday morning for a table that evening for 2 people for about 8pm. Were asked to come at 7.45 as they had a large booking in at 8pm. Fair enough. Got there on time to find a completely empty restaurant. Food ordered and starters came within five minutes. Okay ish. My salmon tartare was totally cooked and all I could taste was capers. Not at all unpleasant but... Husband's starter was good. Mains....I had lamb which was good but potato that came with it poor. My husband had wood pigeon which was ok. Breast good but rest over cooked. Puddings....I had seen on the internet that all were priced the same and as a cheese lover was so pleased that this was not a higher price. Cheese was ok but nothing amazing. Husband's was fine. I was surprised to discover on the bill that the cheese was £3 more than stated and when queried was informed this was a misprint on the internet. Bit disappointed. Staff were very nice but when asked to remind us what the wine was we had paired with a course gave us the answer of....'the one that it said was paired with on the menu'. Not their fault but it all came across of as a bit amateurish. I suppose I was a bit wrong footed from the start faced with an empty restaurant having been asked to come earlier but I do feel that to bill
yourself as a restaurant specialising pairing wine with food it should be better than someone telling us 'I'm sorry, I don't know much about wine'. Feel a bit bad about this as the staff were really lovely but to complain on the night would have felt like kicking a puppy. They were so sweet but seemed a bit out of their depth.

2  Thank SueJDxx

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Great modern English! One of the best meals I have had in ages , very welcoming loved it!! I had steak and chips with a peppercorn sauce , cooked to perfection!!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Came here with my girlfriend the other night and had a really excellent experience. The staff were friendly and courteous and seemed genuinely bothered about how your evening with them went. I found the atmosphere and decor really to my liking; modern and chic with a mellow ambiance. The food was very well prepared and I really liked the idea of suggesting a perfect glass of wine to compliment each dish, for starters, mains and desserts!

Overall, would definitely recommend as one of the best new restaurants in Harrogate. Full marks for the food and service and not expensive either for what you get. I think the only downside for the restaurant is it is a little tucked away and so may suffer from being outside the main restaurant area of Harrogate. Although if they keep performing like they did for me the other night I'm sure word of mouth will soon get everyone talking about it. In fact, I liked it so much I'm taking a friend there for the experience!

1  Thank Mike S
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Found restaurant by chance with my wife after noticing its prominent canopy. Went in if coffee. Being a bit of a coffee "geek" I can be very critical. Would give this 10 out of 10. Great taste, obviously used good and fresh beans and temp perfect. Returned for lunch we were that impressed. I had game pie which was delicious. This being fish Friday, my wife had fish and chips. Again very good. This place was a good find and we will return for an evening meal (and wine!) and maybe a lazy Sunday breakfast which starts from the 13th April.

1  Thank T J
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I am a steak and red wine man. The steak was cooked rare with no blood and cooked to perfection and the home made chips were delicious too. Good béarnaise sauce. Great idea to give tips on wine matched with food dishes. Enjoyed the merlot reserve and proper red wine glasses, excellent. Deserts were scrummy too. Service was friendly and efficient. Will go again.