“Quick drink”

Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Wigan, England, United Kingdom
“Quick drink”
Reviewed 21 November 2012 via mobile

Went to the fat badger pub part of the hotel for a reasonably priced wine and guinness. interior devor was retro and very good. Cool lights over the bar. staff pleasant and helpful. good atmosphere. a real mixture of furniture but worked really well. some very odd art work on the walls

• Stayed November 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Just had 2 wonderful nights in this beautiful hotel. Fantastic location for shops, right in the middle of town. The hotel is a tad querky too!! Very busy in the evenings so if you want to eat in....book!! Breakfast is supurb and i recommend the scrambled eggs they are the best ive ever had. The staff are amazingly friendly and helpful for such a big and busy hotel. Afternoon tea at the hotel is a must too but its very popular so once again book! Lastly if you get the chance go and visit Betty's Tea Room.

• Stayed November 2012
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

A shabby chic style hotel
staff very friendly
rooms a little dark and lack of electric sockets for kettle breakfast very nice
great position within walking distance of shopping areas in Harrogate
Parking on site £2 for 24 hrs
A little expensive at £75 but it is Harrogate

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Staines
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Booked this Hotel very late for an exhibition at the HIC so didn't expect to get anywhere near the venue. However this hotel is just 2 minutes away and there was a single room availability so booked it at a very reasonable £80 per night B and B. Another big plus is the parking at the rear which cost just £2 however long you stay.
Reception staff were very friendly and had a bit of a joke which is always nice.
It definitely was a single room with a single bed and small bathroom but it was only one night.
I had to make some modifications like putting the TV on top of the waste bin so I could see over the frame at the end of the bed! The room was also incredibly hot and had to have the window open which made it very noisy as it was on the front of the building.
Breakfast was nice, (not a buffet but freshly cooked) and all the staff were friendly and helpful.
The Hotel is an elegant neo-classic style building which was built to house the Victorian gentry that used to take the waters of the nearby spa. It has the Fat Badger pub on the side which I wasn't sure worked with the rest of the building and afternoon tea can be taken in the tea room, no doubt they accommodate the customers that get fed up with queuing at the famous nearby Betty's Tea Rooms. Would definitely stay again but would ask for a rear facing double. Overall a good experience.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We arrived at the hotel for around 9am on Monday morning and parked in the rear car park. We left the car there then went off shopping. After a wonderful browse around Harrogate we went back to the hotel to check in. Once in our room, we were pleased with what we had. They gave us room 214 which was ample enough for the 2 of us. The bathroom was a little small but again, fine for a one night stay!! We unpacked then went down to the Fat Badger pub within the hotel. We found it to be a bit smelly and not very comfortable so we had 1 drink and went back into town. On our way home we called into the Crown hotel bar (opposite) and found that to be lovely. We decided to have dinner there instead of the White Hart. ( the food was lovely) When we went up to our room at around 9pm we settled down to watch some tele. At 9:50 the people, who were staying in the room above us, ARRIVED!!!!! They then proceded to bang around in their room for the next however many hours, the floorboards were creaking, we could hear every word they were saying, it actually sounded like they were coming through the ceiling!!! We were furious and by 12pm we rang down to reception who said they would sort it. Everything went queitish for around 5 minutes, then they were off again only this time, 10 times louder than before!!!!! We then rang reception again and demanded we were moved (at 1:45 in the morning!! We were given room 207 which was a twin room and very quiet. All in all, we will visit The White Hart again as they were amenable, However, we will only book if they guarantee us a room away from any potential noisy, selfish idiots!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy1909
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 October 2012

My first visit to Harrogate and definitely not my last. A 24-hour visit for business purposes caused conflict between my brain and heart, resulting in my feet not wanting to move in the direction of the meetings I had to attend, but rather to explore this beautiful town and devour as much of it's local fare as possible. My stay at White Hart started off very well and after being offered a beautiful lower-floor room decorated in a rustic French style I almost collapsed into the fluffy white bed thinking this is where I could comfortably stay for a few days. Unfortunately within minutes a strong mechanic humming from behind the walls in the room started to worry me, and realising that at 5pm in the evening if I was that concerned then I would most likely not sleep at all that evening I changed rooms. The very helpful front desk staff were generous in offering me options and I was quickly moved to a room on a higher floor. The views over the park from the window overlooking the turret-style roof were stunning however the bedroom was a million years away from the French chic I had enjoyed downstairs - almost as if I had walked into a different hotel. It was simply a dark room with negative character but for a short stay the room was 'fine' - definitely no joy that I had felt in the original room. If I was here for a getaway I would have room-swapped until I found just the right room but for this stay all I needed was a bed to sleep on. Admittedly White Hart gave me much more.
White Hart's restaurant and pub are beautiful. Their food is fresh and delicious. The building has a castle-like feel while being warm, inviting and actually fun. There is a decidedly modern feel and look to the entire property which begs a second-look and kudos to White Hart for making it work. The White Hart is a social hub of Harrogate and one which I would definitely visit again. It's an easy 10 minute walk from the station (downhill) and close enough to Betty's and much more that I'd question why you'd need to stay elsewhere?

Room Tip: This is definitely one hotel where it doesn't hurt to ask "What other rooms are available...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank LuxeTravelerHK
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2012

First impressions of the hotel were excellent. It is well-presented and the receptionist was welcoming. However, on arrival in our twin room, which was well-furnished. The tea-making facilities were not up to standard. One of the cups was dirty and so was the tray on which the items were placed. I contacted the reception and they informed the assistant manager would come to see us. He promptly did and brought with him a replacement cup. When I took a shower, the water was cold. I reported this to the reception and they said they would look into it. We received no feedback about this and I assumed it had been fixed - until I showered in the morning and it was stil cold.

On a more positive note, at breakfast, the staff were vey accommodating and provided me with gluten-free toast.

Overall, first impressions are excellent but I have stayed in better hotels which have had a lower star rating than this one. I would have expected better quality for the amount we paid.

Room Tip: Request a room at the front of the hotel or you will end up with a view of the car park or the side...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends