“Room 103 - should be called Room 101”
Review of White Hart Hotel

White Hart Hotel
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Room 103 - should be called Room 101”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

My husband and I had planned a stay in Yorkshire and had booked our hotels for our stay (including a night at this hotel's sister hotel The Balmoral - please read review for there and stay there not here!!!!) however because the weather was turning we decided to book a late room on the day to travel down to be in the area before the freezing temperatures hit.

On arrival all appeared fairly promising although having a £5 parking charge slapped on you the minute you arrive is not appreciated, especially when I rang and asked about car parking where there was no mention of there being a charge.

The receptionist was young as are most of the staff at this hotel including Toni the duty manager who was on the night we got there, more about her later!!!! Felt a bit like our instructions were scripted as the receptionist rattled through the script and then we scuttled off to the lift following her instructions.

On opening our room door which was at the back of the hotel, my husband and I looked at each other in dismay. It was small, no let me correct that, it was very small!!! There were 3 lamps in the room all very old fashioned (one was a standard lamp). The tv was mounted on the all over the dressing table which had no mirror, the mirror was on a side wall next to the bed?

The heating was a old fashioned radiator which apparently had to be turned up or down from reception, more about that later!!!

There was on the ceiling a smoke alarm and some other small device, could have been a camera for all I know but was disconcerting nonetheless.

Only one bedside table so no where to put my cup or medications, the chair was oversized for the dressing table.

The bathroom - well actually shower room, was a shoehorned in shower room, I have used larger shower rooms in a caravan. If you stood in the shower your back was touching the door and it was the cheapest plastic looking thing you have ever seen.

The kettle was too small, the cord too short and had to be plugged into an extension lead almost full already with 3 plugs in. I am quite sure this is a health and safety issue and would definately not pass Pat test rules.

The window opened (hurray) - but then all you hear is this loud droning of some sort of vent/compressor type noise and a horrendous smell from the bins below.

So closed the window and rang receptio at 5.30 pm asking for heating to be turned off. Had a walk our and something to eat in The Fat Badger attached to the hotel then returned to room. Radiator still on. Rang reception again and was told would look into it. A further two phonecalls later and finally after many excuses a knock at our door where "Toni" came in and sidled her way over to the radiator obviously not believing us that the radiator was still on. My husband and her proceeded to discuss the situation where a twin room was offered. My husband pointed out we had booked a double room and did not want a twin room. He also pointed out that I suffer from MS and in fact the heat made me extremely fatigued and it was not good enough, he asked for the Manager to which she said he had gone home and that she was the duty manager. He asked for a refund and she said she could not authorise that and that her job was to try and deal with our complaints which she was not doing.

Finally I pointed out that I would be reporting on trip advisor and that I hoped our experience at their sister hotel the following night would be better.

Toni left the room, after a short while the room phone rung where Toni said Charlene Operations Manager of The Balmoral could offer us the Windsor Suite down there for the night. Despite being in bed and in my nightwear, we got dressed and moved hotels.

I might add you need to read our review of The Balmoral to get a true reflection of how our stay ended up.

On a positive note, we ate in The Fat Badger, my husband had the Fish and Chips, I had the burger and chips both between £10-£12 but both very well cooked and we thoroughly enjoyed them. We did ask what fish it was as it was not cod, my husband did not think it was haddock, but all we asked for was because the fish tasted so beautiful and cooked so lovely - full compliments to the chef we wanted to know so that if we ever saw it on another menu we would know to order again.

The hotel is well situated and looks lovely on entrance etc, but it really let itself down. Note to General Manager, having been a manager myself any deputy of mine standing in would have to have the authorisation and competance to be able to do the job almost as well as myself.

Room Tip: Go to The Balmoral
1 Thank Susan W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Stayed here for one night on Tuesday 19th March. It was a really good location... close to the town and easy to walk to the cinema, bars, restaurants and Betty's tearoom. The room I was in was clean and warm but it was at the back of the hotel next to the air vents which was very noisy. The central heating in the room was also very noisy and kept me awake. The bathroom was cold with no access to heating. the hotel itself though was very smart and the staff were polite and efficient if not over friendly.

Room Tip: Get one at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2013

This lovely Victorian hotel right in the centre of Harrogate is an ideal place for a stay either on business or leisure. It has been completely refurbished and the rooms are small but tastefully decorated and the beds are large and comfortable; the Bathroom was a little on the small side. The room heating is centrally controlled so make sure you get reception to set it to your preference.

Reception was friendly, efficient and could not have been more welcoming or friendly. It is less than half the cost of the Hotel du Vin and in my opinion is much better value. It is five minutes walk from Betty's tearooms which are deservedly renowned and should be visited.

The restaurant unfortunately dropped one point in our rating. The menu is interesting and varied but the quality control in the kitchen is missing. I ordered mussels as a starter which came in a delicious sauce but there were too many that had not opened left in the dish. My fillet steak was ordered medium rare and came half well done and half medium. There was no argument when I sent it back and the next one was not only well cooked but a fine piece of meat; the peppercorn sauce with it was well seasoned and tasty. The ribeye, ordered rare, was served rare and a nice piece of meat but the hollandaise sauce with it on the other hand was so salty it was inedible. One of the party had turbot and it was well cooked and excellent. Whoever was on the pass that evening was not doing their job properly. If you like your chips on the crisp side you need to ask for it.

Breakfast was excellent! Too many expensive hotels have buffet breakfasts where the food is either cold or badly cooked. I never understand this as they have to have chef's in anyway and so much gets wasted. Breakfast here is cooked to order and cooked they way you order it - in my case well done bacon and runny yolk poached eggs. There is a cold buffet if you prefer it.

The wine list is reasonably priced for a hotel and the house champagne is not only reasonable but extremely pleasant. One last small gripe - I really hate it when, in a restaurant of this quality, you get asked who is having what! It is not difficult to make a note of this when the order is taken and to train the waiting staff to serve the correct dish to the correct diner. This lack of professionalism in service would not be tolerated in France.

Rant over - do not be put off by this - I will definitely both stay there and eat there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Stayed here to go to a corporate do in another hotel. I thought it was quite individual in design inside and was just up my street, a bit of a boutique feel about it. My room was quite large and had an interconnecting room next door. bathroom was good if a little on the small side but everything was very clean, although there was not a very good view from my room. There were a few of us staying and we did keep the bar staff up quite late but they seemed happy to oblige. Breakfast was very good and had a really good choice of breakfast items. Located in quite a central position, not far to walk to the shops. The only downsides for me were there was a wedding on and I was unable to get in the car park which is high up at the back up a small slip road, you need a £2 token to get out, not ideal if you can't get a space. So I had to leave the car at the barrier and dash back to reception where they gave me a parking permit and a complimentary token, I ended up parking quite a way away which is not that convenient when you have long frocks to take in and the weather is poor. I therefore had to arise to move my car at 8am so as not to get a parking ticket, it did make me a bit grumpy. I also had to get reception to turn off the heating as it was unbearably hot in my room, you can't control it yourself, it came on again in the morning and again I had to ask for it to be turned off so this did affect my quality of sleep somewhat.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
England
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed here for a night a couple of weeks back. A good value hotel if you are looking for a good quality hotel in central Harrogate. Room was tidy and breakfast was very good. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Used room service late at night after a night out and service was very quick. All in all it was a great place for our stay in Harrogate. Would definitely go back in the future.

north wales
Reviewed 12 March 2013

The hotel is in a great location it has easy walking distance to the shops and local amenaites, very friendly staff, the restaurant is rather pricey but excellent service and food, lively bar, very nicely refurbished.

1 Thank rockchickNorthWales
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2013

My wife and I stayed two nights (March 2013) at this hotel on a business trip. The hotel is in a great location and has parking (parking in Harrogate is expensive and not easy to find in the town centre). As everything we needed to do was walking distance a £5 charge for a 3 day stay was excellent. All the staff were great. We felt they all actually enjoyed working there. They were friendly and chatty and the receptionist (Georgia) recommended a very good Indian restaurant. The public areas were clean and tidy and overall very well maintained. Our room was number 317 at the front of hotel which had great views and was surprisingly quiet. The room was a fairly good sized room that was clean. The only fault was the bed. It was metal framed, noisey and not the most comfortable (but we have had much worse). We ate in the Brassierie on the first evening and it was very good. The portions could have been bigger but all the food was well cooked and presented very professionally. Afterwards we went into the Fat Badger bar, it was very busy and as there was no seating took some drinks to our room. Another reviewer mentioned the need of a residents lounge and this would be a really good idea as we would have stayed up longer and had more drinks if we could sit in a nice lounge. Cooked breakfast the next morning was good. On the second morning it had snowed overnight and when we went in for breakfast the only tables unused were away from the window. We asked if there was a window table and the waiter offered to clear and reset a table for us before we asked. Overall it was a very good stay and we would recommend the hotel, restaurant and bar. We are probably back in Harrogate again in September and will undoubtedly stay at the White Hart again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business