“Not for singles ....”

Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
London, United Kingdom
“Not for singles ....”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

It was in a convenient location to the exhibition venue

However, the single room was small , dank and dark . Done up prettily but a ruffled lampshade is no compensation for a hard mattress. The WiFi was terrible . Free WiFI means no wifi! Maybe solo travellers dont get the best of both worlds !

The breakfast laid out was miniscule with bare minimum of choices . My order of scrambled eggs was probably just one egg .
Overall, was ok for a night on a business trip . Wouldnt stay with family.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
cumbria
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We recently stayed here for one night and would not go back. I have never in my life asked to be moved to another room but it took 3 rooms to find one remotely acceptable.
The first had a lovely view to the front of the hotel but the bathroom fan made such a terrible racket! The room actually vibrated! The receptionist said it was because it is an old system, but if the wall panel had been fastened down correctly the noise would have definitely been reduced. There was no way anyone could have slept through this noise.
Room no 2 was very very small and dark. Faced a brick wall with a disabled bathroom. No storage apart from a tiny wardrobe & a few tiny drawers. I tried to ring reception and the phone didn't work.
Room no 3 was marginally bigger with better daylight so in desperation we accepted it. We could only find one socket which was already being used for the kettle & a lamp. The hairdryer lead was not long enough to use the mirror at the same time. The bedside tables were actually occasional tables with no drawers. The only 3 drawers were very tiny plus one at the bottom of the wardrobe...not nearly adequate storage if you were staying more than a couple of days. The full length mirror was on the back of the main door, however as it is a dark area with no artificial light here it was of little use. All small complaints I know but when all put together it was hard work.

The room has a big old fashioned radiator that could not be adjusted so it became unbearably hot during the night.

On the plus side, the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The shower was powerful and easily adjusted. Breakfast was very good quality albeit not much choice. Hotel public areas are lovely and the staff were all very polite & professional.
The parking charge has very recently gone up from £2 to £5 per day which has confused some guests - especially when the sign in the car park hasn't been changed yet.

Overall, some money needs to be spent on upgrading the rooms. I have stayed in many hotels but this is one of the worst for room quality.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

newcastle
Reviewed 30 March 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel for 1 night in march, on arrival hotel was in a lovely location and as we went inside it was equally as good, receptionist was very pleasant. We checked in and went up to our room as we opened the door we were a little disappointed as the room was not very well set out, we then had a look around as I opened the bathroom door the 1st thing I seen was a very dirty curtain and a smashed toiletry holder, as I went in and looked further there were also drill holes in the wall and in the shower, I went and reported this to the receptionist who told me I had to wait for the manager to start at 3, in the end I received a full refund for the room and went and stayed at the studley and I was thrilled with the hotel. The white hart hotel would be perfect if only they took pride on there rooms and cleanlyness.

• Stayed March 2013
scotland
Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights. Dinner and breakfast was ok, but not outstanding. There are many other better places to eat in Harrogate. Rooms were quite shabby and very gloomy, in need of a make over. Service was ok but some of the staff are not over pleasant. Breakfast waiter hardly spoke other than to take room number!

• Stayed March 2013
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We stayed here for one night and was really pleased about the whole experience,from booking in to leaving.It was a freezing snowy weekend,but the hotel was lovely and warm.Our room was adequate sized (after all it's only to sleep in ) ,and the bed was really comfy and clean.We had a few drinks in the Fat Badger,but didnt eat there.We did eat at Deanos which was superb but I would recommend booking.
We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the White Hart for a night in March for my girlfriends birthday. It's a lovely hotel with great rooms, friendly staff and an excellent pub which serves really good food.

Thor only gripe is the room temperature which was unbearable, and the only adjustment available was the window. Not ideal when it's below 0 and snowing outside.

Other than that it was great.

Stayed March 2013
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2013

My husband and I had planned a stay in Yorkshire and had booked our hotels for our stay (including a night at this hotel's sister hotel The Balmoral - please read review for there and stay there not here!!!!) however because the weather was turning we decided to book a late room on the day to travel down to be in the area before the freezing temperatures hit.

On arrival all appeared fairly promising although having a £5 parking charge slapped on you the minute you arrive is not appreciated, especially when I rang and asked about car parking where there was no mention of there being a charge.

The receptionist was young as are most of the staff at this hotel including Toni the duty manager who was on the night we got there, more about her later!!!! Felt a bit like our instructions were scripted as the receptionist rattled through the script and then we scuttled off to the lift following her instructions.

On opening our room door which was at the back of the hotel, my husband and I looked at each other in dismay. It was small, no let me correct that, it was very small!!! There were 3 lamps in the room all very old fashioned (one was a standard lamp). The tv was mounted on the all over the dressing table which had no mirror, the mirror was on a side wall next to the bed?

The heating was a old fashioned radiator which apparently had to be turned up or down from reception, more about that later!!!

There was on the ceiling a smoke alarm and some other small device, could have been a camera for all I know but was disconcerting nonetheless.

Only one bedside table so no where to put my cup or medications, the chair was oversized for the dressing table.

The bathroom - well actually shower room, was a shoehorned in shower room, I have used larger shower rooms in a caravan. If you stood in the shower your back was touching the door and it was the cheapest plastic looking thing you have ever seen.

The kettle was too small, the cord too short and had to be plugged into an extension lead almost full already with 3 plugs in. I am quite sure this is a health and safety issue and would definately not pass Pat test rules.

The window opened (hurray) - but then all you hear is this loud droning of some sort of vent/compressor type noise and a horrendous smell from the bins below.

So closed the window and rang receptio at 5.30 pm asking for heating to be turned off. Had a walk our and something to eat in The Fat Badger attached to the hotel then returned to room. Radiator still on. Rang reception again and was told would look into it. A further two phonecalls later and finally after many excuses a knock at our door where "Toni" came in and sidled her way over to the radiator obviously not believing us that the radiator was still on. My husband and her proceeded to discuss the situation where a twin room was offered. My husband pointed out we had booked a double room and did not want a twin room. He also pointed out that I suffer from MS and in fact the heat made me extremely fatigued and it was not good enough, he asked for the Manager to which she said he had gone home and that she was the duty manager. He asked for a refund and she said she could not authorise that and that her job was to try and deal with our complaints which she was not doing.

Finally I pointed out that I would be reporting on trip advisor and that I hoped our experience at their sister hotel the following night would be better.

Toni left the room, after a short while the room phone rung where Toni said Charlene Operations Manager of The Balmoral could offer us the Windsor Suite down there for the night. Despite being in bed and in my nightwear, we got dressed and moved hotels.

I might add you need to read our review of The Balmoral to get a true reflection of how our stay ended up.

On a positive note, we ate in The Fat Badger, my husband had the Fish and Chips, I had the burger and chips both between £10-£12 but both very well cooked and we thoroughly enjoyed them. We did ask what fish it was as it was not cod, my husband did not think it was haddock, but all we asked for was because the fish tasted so beautiful and cooked so lovely - full compliments to the chef we wanted to know so that if we ever saw it on another menu we would know to order again.

The hotel is well situated and looks lovely on entrance etc, but it really let itself down. Note to General Manager, having been a manager myself any deputy of mine standing in would have to have the authorisation and competance to be able to do the job almost as well as myself.

Room Tip: Go to The Balmoral