“Needs attention....”
Review of White Hart Hotel

White Hart Hotel
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Asked for another room as first room, at the back of the hotel looked on to extractors which were making a loud noise. Very hot evening and the small twin room would have been hotter if we had to keep the window closed. Room at the side was not much better and we had to wedge table lamp to window to keep open in the heat! Very small TV but it matched the room, bathroom basic. Breakfast was an experience, nicely presented and lovely high ceiling but the covers on the chairs wee all dirty!!! Quite off-putting. Staff seemed to have a battle with the volume of the radio, one chap turned in down, then younger ones turned up the volume. I do not expect silence but equally, not a disco either. Think of the clients, not the staff. All friendly enough but needed more training. Food however was OK. Car Park was a bit tight and down a flight of stairs so not great if you have luggage. Free Wi-Fi never worked in the room so had to go down to the bar to use send an important email, not ideal. Location good but would not recommend eating there.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

This is a nice and functional hotel that is in a good location to the nearby attractions (the pump room museum, Mercer gallery). It has a fitness room, a salon, a bar (fat badger). Although you have the main road by the front of the hotel, you could hardly hear the traffic. The staff are nice.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed at the White Hart this weekend while attending a wedding in Harrogate. When booking sometime earlier, i enquired about an early check in but was informed that this was simply not an option. When arriving in Harrogate with time to kill before the wedding i decided to try my chances at checking in early, and was told that my room wasn't ready and check in is at 2pm. Not to worry, it was worth a try. I was told i could leave my bags at the hotel while i went to the wedding but the person on reception could not have seemed any less interested if they had tried. I returned from the wedding at 2:45pm to check in before heading of to the reception, only to be told very matter of factly that my room was still not ready and would not be for another 20mins. Very displeased with the service and the severe lack of enthusiasm from reception, i went on my way to the wedding reception and returned later that day to be checked in very politely by a different person.

Externally the hotel is very beautiful and when entering the lobby/reception area it is apparent that the place is well kept, modern and charming. My room was on the top floor and was a single room which was in dire need of some modernising. Some of the wall paper had bubbled and looked discoloured, the wardrobe was actually shorter than i am and was badly chipped. Close inspection of the bed uncovered a quilt that was torn at the bottom so the insides were showing.
The bathroom was dated but had all facilities and was clean with fresh towels. There were complimetary bath products. Other facilities were a hairdryer, TV in the main room although i never switched it on so i cant say what channels are available.

The breakfast was nice with a choice of full english or Salmon, there is also a selection of serials. My only gripe was that i was sat at my table for 10 minutes before i was asked if i would like some coffee, and the 15 minutes before i received said coffee. Breakfast staff were very pleasant, just need to speed up at touch.

To quote the hotels website, "The White Hart Hotel is one of the finest hotels in Harrogate.... blah blah blah... luxurious accommodation". Any hotel that has wood chip wallpaper on the ceilings in the room needs to look the words "fine" and "luxurious" up in the dictionary. Don't be fooled by the fantastic exterior, this place is well over priced and don't really go all out to make guests feel welcome.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This hotel is very centrally located in Harrogate and we had a very nice stay here. The hotel and our room was a bit dated and could do with some renovation work but it didn't harm our stay at all. Breakfast was tasty and filled us up although we had to wait sometimes for ages for the cooked food to come....others got theirs before us even!

All and all though, this hotel is central, reasonably priced and we enjoyed our stay here. The bar was busy most nights with functions going on (like weddings) so we had to go outside to the bars down the road to get a drink. Overall it's a nice 3-star hotel kind of place but good breakfasts and friendly staff, it's a good base for any Harrogate tourist.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2014

i booked the white hart as they had a family room that would sleep four adults, and as it was myself and my three sisters we were more than happy to share. the price i paid for b and b was cheaper than the premier inn and much nicer. we visited for my sisters 60th birthday.

all the staff were very helpful and efficient, the lady on reception was more than happy to have the flowers i had brought taken to our room so it would be a surprise for my sister.

we liked the atmosphere in the hotel, especially the candles on the stairs, and the fat badger pub!

the family room turned out to be two interconnecting rooms with a double bed and 2 singles. as this was an executive room we also got molton brown toiletries. we had no problem with the room, it was nicely furnished and very comfortable. we were near the lift but couldn't hear it at all.

we chose to upgrade to dinner which was fantastic and very well priced for what you got, again excellent service. after a few cocktails we retired to our room for a good chat and a catch up, we decided we wanted more drinks and they happily brought them up and we were charged the same price as in the pub.

breakfast next morning was very good, fresh hot and tasty and the usual things on the buffet if you didn't want the cooked option, again very nice, helpful staff.

when we were leaving the receptionist validated out car park tickets and explained we could stay all day if we wanted, a definite bonus in Harrogate.

all in all a very enjoyable stay and we will happily return.

Room Tip: the family room will sleep 4 adults
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank orbitalgirl
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed 1 night at this hotel on a room only basis. Fairly good value for Harrogate and brilliant location close to shops, restaurants, Betty's tea room, Harrogate baths and Valley Gardens. Parking was good once we got it sussed....residents at the hotel only have to pay £6 per night and no extra during the day even if you have checked out. This worked out cheaper than the town car parks. Reception has to endorse your parking ticket before you can leave. The room was smallish with 2 beds pushed together. The beds were not very comfortable. It was at the top of the hotel at the front but most of the view was obscured by a wall going round the roof. It was quiet, tastefully decorated and quite charming. Apart from the restaurant and bar at the front of the hotel there was little else to the hotel but rooms and long corridors. There were some chairs in the entrance hall, a toilet near reception and a gym but no lounge to sit in. Overall I enjoyed my stay here as Harrogate has so much to offer.

Room Tip: Our room at the top was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gilly5
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have thought long and hard before I added this review.
The White Hart has the potential to be a lovely hotel. The location is superb and ideal for walking into the centre of Harrogate.
The Fat Badger bar is popular and gets busy. The dining room looks good.
However..................... the bedrooms are so in need of much updating and bringing up to the expected standard of a four star hotel. From our experience and from reading other reviews, the furniture is shabby and chipped. The ensuite bathroom was very basic with no extractor fan which didn't work and to our disgust, on the first day I had to ask the reception staff to arrange for a wadge of hair to be removed from the bath waste which they did within the twelve hours I gave them. Quite off-putting to say the least!!! The wardrobe had two hangers in it and when I asked for more, I got two more!! I then asked again and six arrived.
Four of us stayed for five nights and made the most of the area. Harrogate is a super place and we will be back but will not stay in this hotel again. Very disappointing. I so hope they do something about the rooms as I cannot see a future for the accommodation side of this hotel if it continues as it is a present. Think twice before you book as I feel you could be as disappointed as we were.
The reception staff did a good job of coping with all the complaints (and not just ours!)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends