“Fantastic Stay :)”

and 1 more site!
Ash Grove Guest House
Ranked #24 of 83 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 May 2012

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at Ash Grove. Tabs and Pritpal are great hosts. A very warm welcome with tea in the lounge. Our room was very well decorated had everything we could possibly need for our two night stay. Breakfast was excellent. Reasonably priced considering we were staying in the town centre. All in all a fantastic stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1, 1st floor to the back of the house. Very cosy and peaceful. The sun shone throu...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dr H
Tabs K, Owner at Ash Grove Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review. Very much appreciated. We always try our best to accommodate all our guests and it's always rewarding when guests take the time out to leave such glowing reviews. Thanks again and hopefully we'll see you again! Best wishes Tabs and Pritpal x

Reviewed 6 May 2012

The owners are very friendly and efficient at running their guest house. The communal areas are fresh and well maintained. The breakfast was excellent.

I was in a single room which looked lovely on first glance but tired on a closer look. The bathroom was pokey and needs a proper door rather than a sliding door and the only window that opens in the room is a tiny one in the bathroom meaning there was no way to get fresh air.

The bed was creaky and it's been a while since I only had 5 TV channels (and I travel a lot).

The parking is a bit of a nightmare with people having to block people in if there are more than 2 cars but the owner was extremely helpful about asking someone to move their car for me despite it being her busy breakfast run so I can only thank them for that. Mind you parking in Harrogate is a nightmare so it's nice to have somewhere to park even if it's a squash.

I think if the owners rennovated the single room I would stay again as they were helpful and lovely people. The rest of the b+b looks great so I think it is a slight problem with the room I had, particularly the squeeky bed.

An excellent location - only 2 minutes to town.

tip for this room: close the bathroom door to get a better night sleep as you can't hear the gurgling radiators when the heating goes on in the morning if you have the bathroom door closed.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Tabs K, Owner at Ash Grove Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2012

I can only thank who ever took the time out to write this review. Without a name I really can't put a face or name to this review. Even some of the comments don't tally with the single en-suite like the TV has 5 channels. This room has a mounted LCD TV with built in DVD player and Freeview HD ready-def has more than 5 channels. Also, there is a window in the bedroom above the radiator next to the bed that opens should a guest want to. I agree this room is not in line with the rest of the house however it is now next on the list for things to do due to the mixed reviews. With regards to the car park, there are only two spaces. If the guest comes to the door we will try and get them to park on the road with the free parking permits however if they park in the car park first and then come to the door there is every chance they may get blocked in by another driver. Then for us it is a struggle at breakfast should the guest blocked in want to leave early.
On the plus side we're glad you enjoyed your breakfast and if ever you're back in Harrogate it would be lovely to put a face to the review. Tabs

Reviewed 7 April 2012

we were met with a very warm welcome,lovely clean room,very central,one of the best cooked breakfasts we have ever had,def go back enough said.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Tabs K, Owner at Ash Grove Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Thanks Dominic for the lovely review. Very much appreciated. Tabs

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Hi Tabs..Many thanks for your hospitality and welcome when myself and sister in law came to stay on the 3rd April. You were so kind and helpful in many ways (sorry about the cups of tea we left )lol.. Breakfast was delicious. Your rooms were very clean and comfortable-I shall recommend you to anyone visiting Harrogate. Even though you locked us out and tried to keep our cases because you were having coffee somewhere (Joke) lol...I'll not forget that lol.. Again thanks a lot-hope to see you again.
Alwyn Revell and Karen Lawless

Room Tip: Our twin room was on top floor-very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Tabs K, Owner at Ash Grove Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2012

Hi Alwyn Revell and Karen Lawless

What a lovely surprise this was to read.
It felt as if I wasn't getting anything right, first the tea then your cases!I don't know how I forgot about your cases, I literally ran back so you didn't miss your train. Lol.
Thank you very much for making it sound all so funny. Next time tea in the lounge and we'll work on the cases!
Happy Easter.
Love Tabs ;) x

Reviewed 1 April 2012

We love Harrogate and we love to stay in the Ash Grove Guest House we are always made welcome by Tabs and her Family its like staying with family comfy and clean rooms great food what more can we say

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kimune
Tabs K, Owner at Ash Grove Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Hi there Kim n Kevin

Thank you for taking the time out to write the review, really appreciate it. We're pleased you enjoyed your stay with us again. We love having you. Thank you for my Easter Egg, already dived in to it. Also, found the car keys in my pencil case. Have a great Easter, take care and see you again soon. Love Tabs n Pritpal x

Reviewed 15 March 2012

I received great welcome and felt very welcomed by Tabs- Thank You. Sometimes travelling alone can be boring but it's great to have a warm friendly face greet you
I had a fantastic hot shower and a great sleep in a pleasant decorated room and a lovely breakfast. It was a great start for my long day ahead. I've had a comfortable stay at Ash Grove and would definitely recommend for anyone staying or travelling through Harrogate.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Tabs K, Manager at Ash Grove Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Hi Nisha

Sorry for the late response however thank you for the comforting review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay here at Ash Grove. We hope to see you again. Take care Tabs x

Reviewed 11 March 2012

A word of warning for solo travellers – the single room is poor value. It is tiny and the furniture tired which is not a problem if it was reasonably priced. The main problem is the noise, from the heating boiler below the room and from the radiator in the bathroom. The bathroom radiator could not be switched off as the valve is missing and it was on full blast making a noise much of the time - when it starts off in the early hours of a Sunday morning, with the racket from the boiler downstairs, this is no fun! I felt I had the worse room in the house but was paying the most because I was a solo traveller, something I which can happen in hotels but I was not expecting this after I had read the good reviews of other travellers to this guest house. I can’t understand why it has a 4* rating from English Tourist Board – the single room certainly does not come up to this standard and the rest of the décor is not really in keeping with a ETB 4* establishment. When I mentioned problem with noise, the next morning, the landlady was quite defensive- a pity because an apology can go a long way. One consolation was the breakfast was good

Room Tip: Avoid the single room
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Hi Heather

Thank you for taking the time out to write this review. Our aim here at Ash Grove is for all our guests to feel comfortable and special while staying with us. We pride ourselves on our service however we appreciate our guests taking the time to tell us about any problems as it means we can get them resolved as quickly as possible. Nevertheless, from the information and pictures on our website you can see we are in the process of refurbishing the guest house.

The heating does go on between 6am-7am as we like the property to be warm for when our guests get up. As the heating comes on you may hear the sound of the water running through the radiators but this does not usually disturb guests unless you are a light sleeper.

The price paid was £50.00 for a single en-suite on a Saturday night with free parking and breakfast through Booking.com. Rooms booked through a third party web site carry a commission fee of 15% therefore we build this charge into the room rate. If you ring us directly it is possible to negotiate on price dependant on your requirements.

As regards your comment concerning our Visit Britain rating, we are visited every year by a trained inspector who checks everything from our breakfast eggs to the quality of our mattress protectors. This is a professional service we pay to have applied to us in order that our guests know from the rating what to expect from us and our property.

Finally, I’m sorry you felt I became defensive but you caught me in the middle of serving breakfast with my attention being divided between several guests. Had you mentioned this matter when you initially came down for breakfast at which time you had my undivided attention rather than waiting until there was a room full of guests waiting to be served then I may have approached the situation differently. But I’m glad you enjoyed the breakfast!
Tabs