“Don't stay in the ground floor room!”

Ash Grove Guest House
Ranked #38 of 99 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
“Don't stay in the ground floor room!”
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Myself & my father went to the Ash Grove for 3 nights whilst we had a holiday in Harrogate. We had been before and liked it so we choose to go again. Since we went last time my Father was less mobile so he asked for a room on the ground floor. I did know about this but went along with it for my Father. I was shocked with the room. It was right next to the kitchen so I was woken up every morning by the owners and their kids shouting and making noise. The headboard on my bed was broken and it was clear that it had been ignored and propped up so it kept falling down everytime I moved on the bed or sat on it. There were two singles beds with a wardrobe in the middle so we couldnt even see eachother to talk. My Fathers bed had no bed side table and he was shoved next to a wardrobe. My bed was behind the corner so had no view of the television and I was crammed next to the bathroom door. I would recommend that visitors do not book the ground floor room as the upstairs rooms are alot better. The owners were nice but the woman was very full on and offered to cut up my food to make a sandwich for me... I'm 19 years old! I can handle making myself a bacon butty. She also told me I looked 'tired' most mornings and spoke to my Father about me like I wasn't there as if I was a little child. Im sure to most people the ash grove is nice if youre not a teenager and dont have a ground floor room. The food was nice although I dont like a full english so asked for bacon and sausage and got one sausage and one piece of bacon.... abit insulting. The full englishes looked nice though. Was okay... the other hotels and B&Bs looked very nice on the same road as the ash grove !

Room Tip: a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Melita F
Tabs K, Owner at Ash Grove Guest House, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Hello Mr Hopton and Melita

This review has come as quite a shock considering your father and you have stayed with us quite a few times and every time it's lovely to see you both! However, I can't lie if I said I wasn't upset at reading it. And even after speaking on the phone with your father who knows nothing of the review even he was shocked!
We're aware that the room is next to the kitchen and you will have heard noise but our kids are 17 and 12 and live elsewhere. They do not live on the premises so whatever you heard, they were not our kids! The furniture has since been moved and a desk is inbetween the beds rather than the wardrobe and the headboard was loose however that was fixed. I'm sorry if my caring about you and your father felt like I was full on at breakfast. You had had a long journey on the coach from Mabgate and your father said you looked tired and I agreed. I'm not quite sure I would have asked to cut your bacon sarnie up. I've never asked any guest that just whether they would like it in white/brown bread, so I'm not sure where that's come from. Also all guests get two rashers of bacon with there breakfast unless they ask for one nevertheless we only serve one sausage unless you ask for two.
Finally you are right there are very nice accommodation providers on the same road and we all work extremely hard to provide good service to all our guests. As much as it's sad to see you go elsewhere at least Harrogate hasn't lost your business.
Thank you for taking the time out to write the review.
Best Wishes
Tabs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
manchester
Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

The couple who owned it were excellent and very accommodating.We rang ahead of arrival to say we would be early and Tabs left the keys next door with a lovely hand written note explaining a few things which was lovely. The hotel was very clean, comfortable, friendly, and the breakfast was divine, catering well for vegetarians also. Ash grove is 5 minutes walk to all the local shops/many restaurants. We did get a free parking permit which took us through to midday on the day of departure which meant no parking fees in Harrogate as we returned to shops Sunday morning, would highly recommend this lovely b&b.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank gillybobsManchester
Hi

Thank you for writing a glowing review both on trip advisor and bookig.com. Very much appreciated. It's makes it all the more worthwhile when guests write such pleasant reviews. I'm still waiting for Mr C to send 'that stuff' to put in the folders.....well don't be strangers you know where we are when you next fancy a break in Harrogate. Have a great Christmas and 2013. Best wishes Tabs x
Hull
Reviewed 31 October 2012

This was one of the nicest Guest Houses that I’ve stayed in, having experienced many due to work commitments. The owners were extremely friendly and helpful upon arrival. The guest house ismanaged efficiently and no stone is left unturned!

The breakfast portions were generous and the whole dining experience was excellent. I was in a single room which was comfortable, clean and of good size. The bed was comfortable and had a very good nights sleep.

I would recommend this location to anyone who is wishing to stay in the Harrogate area and the location provides quick access to the Harrogate town centre, Harrogate Railway Station etc.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jon D
Hi Jon

Thank you for taking the time out to write such a glowing review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay at Ash Grove.Have a great Christmas and hopefully see you in 2013.
Best wishes
Tabs x
Reviewed 1 September 2012

After arriving late on bank holiday weekend we were greeted by a very welcoming "Tabs". Nothing was too much trouble. Very friendly couple. Beautiful quiet room and probably the best breakfast we have had! We would reccomend this guest house to anyone.. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Annielumey
Tabs K, Owner at Ash Grove Guest House, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Hi there Annie
Thank you ever so much for taking the time out whilst you were here to write this review. It is very much appreciated. We're ever so glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again when next in Harrogate. Best wishes from the both of us, Tabs and Pritpal x
Sheffield
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We stayed at Ash Grove on Sat 12 th May , we were welcomed by Tabs and I can honestly say we have never had such a friendly , warm welcome anywhere! She really is interested in the nature of your stay and offers advice on good places to eat, drink .
The room was great and spotless , with lovely oak furniture , the bathroom was the cleanest I have ever used in a guest house (I am a clean freak and have been known to not use the shower in some guest houses we have visited !, Bramblewick at Robin Hoods Bay springs to mind ) .
The breakfast was great , service was fab and really attentive to each guest , .
This was my first trip to Harrogate , but won't be my last and I would definitely stay here again , ..

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RachMarkSheffield
Tabs K, Owner at Ash Grove Guest House, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Hi Rachel and Mark
Thank you for taking the time out to write a glowing review, it's warmly appreciated especially because you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again when you come to pick your puppy up. Until then take care and thank you again! Tabs x
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2012

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at Ash Grove. Tabs and Pritpal are great hosts. A very warm welcome with tea in the lounge. Our room was very well decorated had everything we could possibly need for our two night stay. Breakfast was excellent. Reasonably priced considering we were staying in the town centre. All in all a fantastic stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1, 1st floor to the back of the house. Very cosy and peaceful. The sun shone throu...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dr H
Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review. Very much appreciated. We always try our best to accommodate all our guests and it's always rewarding when guests take the time out to leave such glowing reviews. Thanks again and hopefully we'll see you again! Best wishes Tabs and Pritpal x
England
Reviewed 6 May 2012

The owners are very friendly and efficient at running their guest house. The communal areas are fresh and well maintained. The breakfast was excellent.

I was in a single room which looked lovely on first glance but tired on a closer look. The bathroom was pokey and needs a proper door rather than a sliding door and the only window that opens in the room is a tiny one in the bathroom meaning there was no way to get fresh air.

The bed was creaky and it's been a while since I only had 5 TV channels (and I travel a lot).

The parking is a bit of a nightmare with people having to block people in if there are more than 2 cars but the owner was extremely helpful about asking someone to move their car for me despite it being her busy breakfast run so I can only thank them for that. Mind you parking in Harrogate is a nightmare so it's nice to have somewhere to park even if it's a squash.

I think if the owners rennovated the single room I would stay again as they were helpful and lovely people. The rest of the b+b looks great so I think it is a slight problem with the room I had, particularly the squeeky bed.

An excellent location - only 2 minutes to town.

tip for this room: close the bathroom door to get a better night sleep as you can't hear the gurgling radiators when the heating goes on in the morning if you have the bathroom door closed.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Tabs K, Owner at Ash Grove Guest House, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
I can only thank who ever took the time out to write this review. Without a name I really can't put a face or name to this review. Even some of the comments don't tally with the single en-suite like the TV has 5 channels. This room has a mounted LCD TV with built in DVD player and Freeview HD ready-def has more than 5 channels. Also, there is a window in the bedroom above the radiator next to the bed that opens should a guest want to. I agree this room is not in line with the rest of the house however it is now next on the list for things to do due to the mixed reviews. With regards to the car park, there are only two spaces. If the guest comes to the door we will try and get them to park on the road with the free parking permits however if they park in the car park first and then come to the door there is every chance they may get blocked in by another driver. Then for us it is a struggle at breakfast should the guest blocked in want to leave early.
On the plus side we're glad you enjoyed your breakfast and if ever you're back in Harrogate it would be lovely to put a face to the review. Tabs