“rude and unhelpful”

Ash Grove Guest House
Ranked #37 of 98 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I booked this b&b on my friend's behalf who came all the way from China to attend a trade show. I dealt with the hostess on the phone once, she sounded extremely rude on the phone:

I had a phone call from her claiming that my credit card didn't go though when I booked online and asked me to pay her over the phone, I was in a noisy public place looking after two children then, so I asked if I could ring her back an hour later to do the transaction, she was uncompromising and insisted me to pay there and then and said" if you don't pay me now, I will have to ask your friend to leave the room". I was quite shocked by her manners.

My friend also had unpleasant experience with her and was not happy with the service:
She asked if she could leave her suitcase there for a few hours after she checked out and was told she has to come back to collect it within an hour.

On the booking terms and condition, it wasn't clear if the breakfast was included, so I assumed it was included, but my friend told me that she had to pay extra for breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Sherylgu
Tabs J, Owner at Ash Grove Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2014

Hi thank you for leaving this review
Prior to you intervening your friend was quite comfortable. She was lovely, I was lovely to her & helpful despite the communication barrier. I explained breakfast & in fact it wasn't even an issue because she said was joining you & the kids for it. With regards to her suitcase, she was leaving it here until the show finished.
It all changed once I spoke to you on the phone regarding the card. My recollection to the telephone conversation was that I'm not going to be about in an hour so if you don't mind I can hold for you to find a quieter spot to give me the details. Yes you were busy with the kids but the guest had booked in, she was in her room & I was on my way out soon. Through the booking site you had booked the payment should have been taken straight away but we prefer to wait to charge the card on the day of arrival. When we use third party booking sites our details are more clear on that than our own booking sites because we have to adhere by them and because we can't always control bookings via third party. To be honest when your card declined I should have got in touch with LR to report it. Then they would have called you for the information. Whereas with our own bookings, we email confirmation of exactly what's booked so either way some one would have called & requested the details
I understand that it may not have been convenient for you when I called. You where working, the kids were there but I can assure you I was far from unhelpful & rude. Kind Regards Tabs

There are newer reviews for Ash Grove Guest House

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Myself and my hubby have just returned from a few days break in Harrogate, we booked the Ash Grove with not a lot of notice, all I can say is Tabs who is the owner must be Wonder Woman as I am a coeliac, for the first time ever while staying in top hotels and bed and breakfast Tabs is the only one who as ever gone above and beyond what was required, she went out and bought a whole range of foods for me and even put chocolate in my room a very special touch, we were welcomed at the front door with three smiling faces, the rooms are very nice and clean, with TV with sky TV including movies (we have never had movies) hairdryer and iron ironing board also in the room.
Breakfast well what can I say about that apart from 10/10 the first morning when Tabs hubby cooked and 10/10 when tabs cooked, their daughter also got involved with serving and was very polite and friendly.
I feel like I have known these people forever.
Well done keep up the excellent work, we will be back
Please do not spoil that lovely old house with plastic windows it would be such a shame.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a fantastic couple of days exploring North Yorkshire. Our stay at the Ash Grove was very pleasant. The comfort of the rooms could be enhanced with the installation of double glazing, especially at the front of the property, as the traffic noise is considerable.
Decor is slightly dated, but rooms are clean and comfy . Breakfast was tasty, fresh and hot and our host was very helpful , especially with parking arrangements . Being able to walk into the beautiful town is a big advantage of this comfortable b&b.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This was our first trip away together in Harrogate and we could not have asked for more. From start to finish Tabs welcomed us with open arms and nothing was too much trouble. Tabs and the family genuinely care about their guests and the experience they have, and gave helpful recommendations for places to go and things to do. The room we stayed in was spacious and very clean and the breakfast was lovely. We had been concerned about the parking situation in Harrogate but were assisted with this by parking at the property and the option of an on street parking disc if we required it. Ash Grove is well located and walking into town only took around 10 minutes. Be sure to try the Turkish Baths for a rejuvenating experience. Avoid the queues for Betty's by going a little later in the evening as we did. Banyan Bar for cocktails and if you like live music a visit to the Blues Cafe Bar is a must. Thanks again. We would definitely recommend Ash Grove to anyone staying in Harrogate.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Tabs and family were excellent hosts.Very helpful with everything.The room and house were spotless and the breakfast just right and freshly done.They made my stay very enjoyable and I would gladly stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed for a two night break with 4 friends to celebrate a 60th birthday,we couldnt have wished for a more comfortable,clean lovely B & B, close to town centre, with the hosts being very helpful and nice. The breakfasts were fantastic with plenty of food and more if required, Tabs the owner served us and could not do more to please. The room was spacious and very very clean.We had a very enjoyable stay and would highly recommend the Ash Grove in future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2013

What a fantastic place. From the start to the end of our short stay, we couldnt have wished for more. Friendly, helpful owners, a comfortable well appointed bedroom and a first class breakfast.
Thanks, you made our visit to Harrogate a great weekend

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple