“Average stay”

Ash Grove Guest House
Ranked #24 of 83 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Had one night here and honestly I am glad. There was no hot water in the tiny shower at the night time and the morning disappointed as how can this be right ! The room was small and furniture a little dated. Spent some time of the night awake listening to others on the landing up and down in the night going to the toilet and doors slamming. Breakfast on the other hand is fab and faultless and the hostess was lovely and helpful. The room did I felt need updating and refreshing. The ensuite is also very tiny.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank 298LANCSLASS
Tabs J, Owner at Ash Grove Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2014

I've already replied to this review you posted on another booking site however felt after a lot of deliberation that it is only fair that I respond to this review as well. What guests have to bear in mind when booking is that we are a guest house. Our rooms are probably the same size or even smaller than what you may have at home. The bathrooms are of standard size. As much as we would like to we don't have large bathrooms. Our aim is to try & make all guests stay as comfortable & pleasant as possible. Once you walk through our doors we have gone through the house thoroughly. Things in rooms are checked & checked again. Where ever possible we don't want negative feedback so you are right that it is not right that there was no hot water whilst you were trying to have a shower in the evening. But surely before you tried again in the morning you could have told us? Funny thing is, we only knew about the 'hot water in the tiny shower' after reading the reviews you posted. You were booked for one night in the middle of a busy conference & yet no-one else who stayed in that very room before or after you ever mentioned the water problem to us or in there review on the other booking site. And that is a big thing not having hot water! I agree the bathroom does need doing up & it is due in December 2014 but everything in it is as good & in working condition as all the other bathrooms in the house. The bedroom was decorated in the last year so that's not an issue more of a personal preference that you found it dated though looking at the wallpaper you can tell it's not really!We take on board the noise you may have heard from other guests. Apart from asking guests to consider other people in the house whilst coming in or going out there's not much else we can do! Unless it's extremely disruptive then we would intervene. These famous words lovely & helpful hostess. I beg to differ otherwise you would have come to me on the evening your shower was not right & I could have solved it straight away . That's why I'm here or at the end of a phone.As for the breakfast it should be fab & faultless because it should compliment a good nights stay which you unfortunately did not have. Thank you for taking the time out to post this review. Kind Regards Tabs

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had such a great weekend the Ash Grove. Everything was perfect and the owners are so friendly. It is a nice informal setting, you can ask for all kinds of different breakfast (I recommend the spice omelette) and the rooms look lovely (especially the bathrooms look freshly renovated and great). I would recommend to ask for one of the back rooms as the street is quite busy.

Thank you so much for making our anniversary so special. We will be back!

Room Tip: Back room - busy street.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Patrick K
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I was attending a conference at the Harrogate International Centre and booked this guest house because of its proximity to the venue. It was on the list of recommended places to stay (provided by the conference organisers) so choosing it was just pot luck and I took the chance.
It is exactly opposite the HIC which meant I could nip back to my room at any point.
It was spotlessly clean, extremely welcoming, and I was able to park my car for three days in the area behind the house. There is permit parking only in this area of Harrogate so that was particularly welcome. The Wifi was good, especially as I couldn't get Wifi to work in HIC....
I slept like a log the whole time I was staying there. The room was very comfortable and the bathroom, although a bit small, was more than adequate and was spotless.
The breakfast was delicious - a full English cooked to perfection by someone who knows what she's doing! I had the impression from two American guests staying at the same time as me that Ash Grove had been particularly accommodating for them for various reasons.
I would definitely stay again whether I was at a conference or staying in Harrogate for any other reason. It's just a couple of streets away from the town centre and I can't think of any drawbacks at all.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Jinky101
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Went to Harrogate for a few days, stayed at the Ash Grove guest house, lovely welcome, rooms are lovely and clean attention to detail is spot on, Tabs, Pritpal are a very warm couple with a very warm family, breakfast in the morning is delicious, full English cereals fruit coffee tea juice, what more could you ask for, this guest house I would recommend time and again.
Thanks for a lovely couple of days stay.

Room Tip: Rooms 2,5 are good if you like a look down the street, 2 is on the second floor with a big bay windo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ickleu
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed alone in one of the rooms. It was small but it definitely met me needs. The staff was very welcoming and nice people. Indid not bring a converter with me. I asked them to give me one. They without any question found one for me. It was very kind of them and they gave me a box of sweets before i left. Again very thoughtful.They always want be sure that everything is Okay. The house is a traditional one and cosy. I liked the breakfast. You can choose from the menu. It is close to the city center and restaurants.I definitely recommend it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank city222
Reviewed 20 February 2014

had not booked just knocked on the door very warm and friendly welcome, they had the rooms we required, stunning clean fresh rooms, breakfast was excellent could not have wished for more would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank joyce a
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This was the second time we have stayed at Ash Grove in the last 3 months. We were really blown away by the service Tabs & her husband Pritpal gave us the first time, so couldn't think of anywhere else we would rather be to celebrate New Years Eve. Really comfortable, spotless rooms & an awesome full English breakfast in the morning!! They made us really welcome & were more than happy to point us in the right direction or just sit & have a good chat.

Would recommend Ash Grove to anyone looking for a good value, comfortable & relaxing trip to Harrogate.

We will definitely be paying them again in the near future.

Room Tip: We have had 2 different rooms now & can't fault the quality & comfort. would happily st...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple