“Very Enjoyable !!!”

Ash Grove Guest House
Ranked #38 of 98 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I decided at the last minute to book a weekend away in Harrogate as I've always wanted to visit.
I found this Guest House last room remaining so I booked it straight away.Very happy with the communication that I recevied and very happy that I was able to check in too the Guest Hosue before 16:00 which was very help as I was arriving in Harrogate at around 13:30pm.
Within walking distance from the bus station,very close to all the lovely eateries and histrorical places of interest.
I found Ash Grove Guest House to be very well presented and clean.The owners of the guest are a very nice family,Tabs being very knowledgeable and recommending places to visit.
Look forward to visiting again !!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I especially booked Ash Grove because it was advertised as 4*. What a disappointment! In all fairness the staff/family were very helpful and very nice. However after my first night, went back to my room later in the day, to find the towels draped over the towel rail, just as I had left them. In all my years travelling around the world staying in 5* - 1* hotels & B&Bs, I have never not found the towels folded even if they are not changed. When I pulled back the duvet, the bottom sheet was not even straightened - this was also the case in my friends room. The breakfast was O.K. but the first morning I had hard bacon. It improved when I mentioned it. There was one packet each of butter, marge, strawberry jam, blackcurrant jam and marmalade each morning per person. No variation, no extras. When I asked for a second cafetiere of coffee, it was nearly the colour of the local water - which tasted much better.Certainly wouldn't stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank FrankieG999
Tabs J, Owner at Ash Grove Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2014

Hi Frankie
This review comes as no surprise as seen as you aired your views in front of the children.Who quite happily adhered to your travel requirements. Calling their dad at work to find out train offers & then running up to the train station....I hate tit for tat however we work on the principle that unless the towels are thrown in to the shower to be changed we drape them on the towel rail to air. Regardless of your many travels we do not fold damp towels. Regarding the bottom sheet on the bed, Frankie you & your friends stayed three nights.Why was this not mentioned the 1st day you came down for breakfast?We pride ourselves on breakfast.When we take breakfast orders it is also a chance for guests to be able to say how they would like the breakfast cooked.For each guest we will put out 1 butter, 1 marg, 1 marmalade 1strawberry & 1 blackcurrant jam tho sometimes we have apricot & raspberry jams. Should you want more or something different all you have to do is ask. We use these jams because we find they are most popular! You know Frankie, I honored this booking at a later date because you fell ill when you were suppose to come.I did this out of the kindness of my heart because I know these things happen.I didn't need to & some accommodation providers wouldn't have. They would have charged you for the cancellation but I didn't. I moved the booking & in return you left me this glowing review. Many Thanks Tabs

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

You couldn't ask for more helpful and friendly owners and the breakfast is delicious, especially the spicy omelette.

The location is very convenient to the bus station and the shops, restaurants and attractions of Harrogate. I came for two nights to watch le Tour de France and certainly wasn't disappointed by the Yorkshire and Ash Grove welcome.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I was attending a large conference at the conference centre and our party had taken over Harrogate! I was in Room 2 which was lovely and overlooking the street. Nothing was too much bother for the hosts and the room was spotless as was the en suite. The prime question at the conference was 'where are you staying?', colleagues who had booked more expensive hotels ended up disappointed with the quality and value so I felt pretty smug. A quick and easy walk to the town centre and I could come and go as I pleased. Breakfast was superb. To those who have left negative reviews - get over yourselves, this is a 4 star B&B but could easily achieve 5 stars. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Room 2 is at the front with a big bay window, would want this one again.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alex F
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I've been to Harrogate many times for conferences, and stayed in a different place every time, and I must say Ash Grove ranks among the best. Very friendly, helpful and accommodating...would definitely stay here again. Thanks!! Phil & Lyn

Hospitality - 10/10
Cleanliness - 10/10
Food - 10/10
Location - 10/10
Facilities/ Room - 10/10

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Phil R
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Had one night here and honestly I am glad. There was no hot water in the tiny shower at the night time and the morning disappointed as how can this be right ! The room was small and furniture a little dated. Spent some time of the night awake listening to others on the landing up and down in the night going to the toilet and doors slamming. Breakfast on the other hand is fab and faultless and the hostess was lovely and helpful. The room did I felt need updating and refreshing. The ensuite is also very tiny.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank 298LANCSLASS

I've already replied to this review you posted on another booking site however felt after a lot of deliberation that it is only fair that I respond to this review as well. What guests have to bear in mind when booking is that we are a guest house. Our rooms are probably the same size or even smaller than what you may have at home. The bathrooms are of standard size. As much as we would like to we don't have large bathrooms. Our aim is to try & make all guests stay as comfortable & pleasant as possible. Once you walk through our doors we have gone through the house thoroughly. Things in rooms are checked & checked again. Where ever possible we don't want negative feedback so you are right that it is not right that there was no hot water whilst you were trying to have a shower in the evening. But surely before you tried again in the morning you could have told us? Funny thing is, we only knew about the 'hot water in the tiny shower' after reading the reviews you posted. You were booked for one night in the middle of a busy conference & yet no-one else who stayed in that very room before or after you ever mentioned the water problem to us or in there review on the other booking site. And that is a big thing not having hot water! I agree the bathroom does need doing up & it is due in December 2014 but everything in it is as good & in working condition as all the other bathrooms in the house. The bedroom was decorated in the last year so that's not an issue more of a personal preference that you found it dated though looking at the wallpaper you can tell it's not really!We take on board the noise you may have heard from other guests. Apart from asking guests to consider other people in the house whilst coming in or going out there's not much else we can do! Unless it's extremely disruptive then we would intervene. These famous words lovely & helpful hostess. I beg to differ otherwise you would have come to me on the evening your shower was not right & I could have solved it straight away . That's why I'm here or at the end of a phone.As for the breakfast it should be fab & faultless because it should compliment a good nights stay which you unfortunately did not have. Thank you for taking the time out to post this review. Kind Regards Tabs

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had such a great weekend the Ash Grove. Everything was perfect and the owners are so friendly. It is a nice informal setting, you can ask for all kinds of different breakfast (I recommend the spice omelette) and the rooms look lovely (especially the bathrooms look freshly renovated and great). I would recommend to ask for one of the back rooms as the street is quite busy.

Thank you so much for making our anniversary so special. We will be back!

Room Tip: Back room - busy street.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple