We were attending a family event in Harrogate and The Pine Marten was recommended based on the good food and location. Despite providing all relevent information on booking (there were to be 3 of us - 2 adults and a child - staying in a family room) staff had difficulty determining which room had actually been allocated.
When we finally made it to the room and had a quick look around, we noticed that there was no extra bedding supplied for the sofa bed and no towels for a 3rd person. We then saw that the cups and cutlery appeared not to have been cleaned properly - there was a 'tide mark' round the cups as though they had been rinsed but not actually washed. When we looked more closely at the toilet this too appeared not to have been cleaned properly as there was again a 'tide mark' round the water level and you could see urine stains round the fixings of the toilet seat.
That was the room.
We were told that if we were returning to the hotel after 11pm we had to enter via the fire escape using a Key Fob. We did return quite late (early hours), let ourselves into our room and when we switched on the lights, the electricity 'tripped' and all lights went out. There was an 'emergency light' in the middle of the ceiling which immediately came on and which could not be switched off. We immediately referred to the Hotel Information leaflet which provided an out-of-hours Mobile telephone number - the instruction was to use the hotel room telephone to call this number if required. In reality and after several attempts, we realised that the only way you could in fact use this telephone was if you had purchased a pre-paid telephone card from Reception. Fortunately we had a Mobile phone with us........unfortunately despite 6 attempts to reach the 'person on call' our calls were ignored and we failed to reach anyone.
Our family event was the following morning and due to the emergency light directly above our bed we had very little sleep that night. This in itself was very annoying and spoiled our trip - but more importantly, if any actual emergency had taken place, we would have been unable to alert a member of hotel staff. Access to the downstairs or the main entrance was impossible as the adjoining door was locked.
To 'add insult to injury', when we complained to the only visible member of staff on checking out, there was no apology, no explanation, just a glib comment to say "I know exactly who's responsible for that' - with a wry smile.
We would certainly not recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whether exploring the Yorkshire Dales or visiting Harrogate Conference Centre, where better to stay than at an historic hotel in Harrogate?Tucked just outside town in Beckwith Knowle, this characterful lodge is a listed building that puts you right at the heart of some of England's most beautiful countryside. If you book a room here you can enjoy one of the best food-pubs in the area. Expect fresh, seasonal cooking and wood-fired pizzas complemented by a great wine list.Enjoy the blooms and greenery of RHS Harlow Carr Gardens, tuck into the legendary afternoon teas at Betty's or simply admire the sweeping hills of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. Harrogate is also great for shoppers and art lovers, with a bustling town centre and a range of intriguing exhibitions at the Mercer Art Gallery. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Agoda so you can book your Innkeeper's Lodge Harrogate-West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Pine Marten (Innkeeper`s Lodge) Hotel Harrogate
- Pine Marten Innkeepers Harrogate
- Innkeeper's Lodge Harrogate-West Yorkshire