“A very welcome surprise!”
Review of The Greyhound - CLOSED

The Greyhound
Price range: US$4 - US$13
Description: We have a small separate dining room, but food is allowed in the main bar and library also. Food is served in the Tap room for those wanting to enjoy a game of pool/darts, coming in wearing industrial clothing from work or with their dogs. We also have an outside eating area.
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We needed somewhere for a decent pub meal on a return trip from Bishop Monkton to Harrogate, and decided to give the Greyhound another try. For years it had a mediocre reputation, and then I think it closed and changed hands. It was a great improvement on our previous visits. The varied menu was extremely reasonably priced, and, in fact considerably cheaper than any local pub in which we have dined recently. I chose liver and onions with assorted vegetables (carrots, broccoli and potato croquette , as it happened) which turned out to be absolutely first class. Very hot, and the liver was tender and perfectly prepared, with no stringy sinews to spoil my eating pleasure. it. My wife chose Chile con Carne, which turned out to be equally well prepared, tasty, and reasonably hot.
The service was quick, and pleasant and we had a visit from the chef to enquire how it had been. I told him it was the best pub grub we had in ages.
Further more, I was delighted that there was no background music, or television to distract or annoy us. the atmosphere in the bar was social and pleasant, and when I told the landlady how pleased I was that there was no background music she told me it was company policy to encourage conversation and sociability. What a welcome change! The p;rice for these two meals and a small lager shandy plus a tonic water came to just over £13.00, which I thought was reasonable in the present day's market.We'll be back, and I highly recommend this traditional English pub.

Mathew Bloomer B, Assistant Manager at The Greyhound, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Thank you for your review, We are glad that you enjoyed you're visit and we hope to see you again in the future.