“Average food for slightly above average prices ”
Review of Pine Marten

Pine Marten
Ranked #59 of 384 Restaurants in Harrogate
Price range: US$14 - US$21
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: An idyllic retreat set in beautiful country house-style surroundings,The Pine Marten serves a menu of gourmet European recipes. Trained in high-class cookery schools in Spain and Italy, the chefs bring a wealth of experience, and demonstrate knowledge of a breadth of classic and complex cooking techniques. Partnering with Rothschild wine merchants, guests can choose a bottle from the well-stocked cellar.
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

A large group of us went here for dinner on a Friday night (we had a reservation). If you order before 6pm you can choose from the 'set menu' list for something like £14 for two courses. Some of us arrived a little later so we ordered straight off the menu.
The service was alright-the young guy serving us was polite & mostly attentive.
I think for me it was all the little things that were left off that made for a less than amazing experience. I was surprised when I ordered 250ml of wine to discover that it wasn't poured into a small carafe & served as I needed it, rather all 250mls were poured into one giant glass. Perhaps this is the 'norm' in the UK? I am certainly glad I ordered a red & not a white as it would have been well & truly warm by the time I had finished drinking it.
I ordered the grilled salmon which appeared to have been 'grilled' in a bath of oil, this made the whole meal oily & not particularly nice, such a shame for such a lovely piece of fish. The burger was also acceptable, just a beef burger, nothing to write home about.
What irritated me the most the whole night was that the waiter was not prepared to make a slight alteration to the set menu. One of the kids didn't like any of the desserts on the list (which included creme brûlée, Eton mess & frozen yoghurt, to name a few) & instead asked if it was possible to have two scoops of ice cream.The response to this, what I found to be a fairly reasonable & inexpensive request, was a resounding, no!
In order for the child to have ice cream he had to pay an additional £2.50 on top of the price of the set menu. I know it's not a lot but for 50p of ice cream I thought it outrageous; especially seeing as the other desserts on the set menu were roughly £5 each. It's this kind of inflexibility that you leave thinking to yourself, really?! Really?!
All in all, we wouldn't recommend this place nor go back, I am sure there are much nicer establishments in the area serving comparable if not better food.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

The first time we ate at the Pine Marten was over 10 years ago and we found it “cheap and cheerful”. We have recently been back for a lunch to celebrate two family birthdays and found the place somewhat changed. It is still cheerful but is no longer in the Vintage Inns Group and it is no longer particularly cheap but the food is good value and imaginative. Our starters; spiced lamb koftas, asparagus with poached egg and Hollandaise and salt and pepper squid with garlic aioli were hardly run of the mill for a pub. Our main courses were slow cooked belly of pork with marmalade jus and a king prawn, crab and chorizo linguini. We didn’t bother with desserts. With our meal we drank a very acceptable Italian chardonnay. Having booked, we were in the restaurant, which was full – it was Saturday – but the Pine Marten is quite large and there are plenty of other rooms in which to eat or simply have a drink. Starters are generally between £5 and £7 and mains between £8 and £20 (the latter the price for the 28 day aged steak). Service was good and all the staff we met were very pleasant. Definitely a place to return to.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

This used to be one of our favourite places in Harrogate. It was child friendly and the food was great - a wonderful way to spend a Sunday. We went last weekend and the service was dreadful, the food was really disappointing and although over the year's I have sent lots of people here, I would be embarrassed if I was to take a friend here. Cold and tasteless Kids pizza, my fish and chips was verging on inedible - soggy, 4 chips and pea's were a solid mass. And it took 90 minutes to arrive. The other 3 people with us had similar experiences with their mains. The ketchup came in a thimble portion and we had to ask for everything at least twice. And the prices are just creeping upwards and the service has been steadily going downwards - it wasn't just this visit that's led to this scathing review. So sad - as this has been one of our favourite hang-outs but I really will struggle to go back again. Don't bother!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Overall experience does not live up to the high expectations generated by the high prices.
We arrived and were told someone would be with us shortly. Someone was and we asked for a table for 2. "Yes that's fine" was the reply. We went to follow this lady who then turned to and told us "no you'll find a table round there" she was going to her station. Why would you greet someone then not show them to their table?
The waiter who took our order was pleasant and helpful. The waiter who brought the food was disinterested and flippant.
As for the food. This was very poor. A meat pie with 3 pieces of meet that were very fatty. So ultimately £ 14 for a bit of dry pastry 3 bits of meat and some mash. My husband's lamb was fatty too. The waitress that we advised was friendly and cared that we weren't happy. She got the manager who wanted to right the situation. In the end i was given a dessert on the house (which if paid for would be £5.50 and the custard was from a packet). The gesture was appreciate but really came away feeling I had paid very much over the odds for a below average meal. This place is putting too much effort into pretentious descriptions and presentation and not enough into the actual quality of the product.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I have now been to this restaurant for lunch (with a group of 3 friends) on four occasions and we really should have learnt our lesson by now. On every occasion one of the four meals has been poor and we promised not to return, only to do so as it is convenient for our group! Silly us!
The first problem was actually choosing what to have, not because of the amazing choice but because every single dish seemed to have been messed about in some way with unnecessary, pretentious accompaniments and we all really struggled to decide what to have. The menu was far from appealing.
Two of our group had what was basically chicken and chips - Ok but very overpriced at nearly £13. The third person was reasonably satisfied with her choice but mine was really very unpleasant - a mushroom, onion marmarlade and feta tart with pea shoots - pea shoots? Whatever is wrong with a decent salad. Infact, I requested an alternative salad accompaniment and was told it wasn't possible (whatever happened to pleasing the customer?) The pea shoots (literally raw peas, unpleasant pods and a bit of greenery plonked on the top of the tart) turned out to taste as nasty as expected. The pastry on the side of the tart was far too thick, hard and unpleasant - also it had not been cooked 'blind' so consequently the bottom of the tart was horribly soggy. Big chunks of unseasoned mushrooms in the tart did nothing to improve it. Infact, if I had made this myself I would have been extremely embarrassed to serve it to my guests!
And do small diet coca colas really cost £2.40 each and a very small lager nearly £3? These are London prices.
Overall the food and drinks were extremely overpriced. The service was Ok.
We really will not be returning again having finally learnt our lesson - not when there are so many new restaurants opening in Harrogate for us to try.