“great food great value”

Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: An independent family run restaurant and wine bar serving traditional British food in the heart of Harrogate. William & Victoria has developed a reputation for great food served in a relaxed and unfussy style. Hearty Yorkshire portions of locally sourced meat and fish served in a cosy wine bar/bistro that oozes character and personality with a buzz created by it's popularity with locals that you will find any day of the week. The wine bar is open all afternoon serving a variety of drinks along with bar tapas. Owner and front of house, David Straker, is at the 'helm' most evenings and on hand to recommend wines from an extensive and well balanced wine list. More spacious dining areas with seating for 50 people, along with another well stocked bar, is situated upstairs along with a private dining room ideal for business entertaining and private parties. William & Victoria host a variety of regular wine tasting dinners. William & Victoria has recently gone through an extensive sympathetic refurbishment.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“great food great value”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Like all Yorkshiremen I expect value for my money and that is just what I got last night at the William and Victoria when I booked an early-bird table for four to celebrate a friend's birthday. We all had a three course dinner for only £14-99. There were six choices for each course and we were delighted with everything we chose. The portions were larger than one often gets when doing an early-bird deal and the birthday boy couldn't finish his roasted pineapple and cocoanut ice cream. The service was very good, the young staff very polite and efficient, the first two courses being served promptly and then we were allowed plenty of time to relax and digest before ordering our desserts. We will definitely be going back especially if we are seeing a show at one of the theatres.

1 Thank barneyandi
David_Straker, Owner at William & Victoria, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for your great review of our Early Bird (Pre-theatre) menu. I'm pleased you enjoyed and appreciated the excellent value this menu offers and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

N.B. The Early Bird menu is available in the restaurant Monday to Saturday from 6pm and earlier by arrangement for larger groups making it ideal for a pre-performance dinner at the Theatre or Royal Hall.

Leeds England
“Good food & Good service”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We went to William and Victoria's early on a Thursday night (7:30). Even at that time it was fairly busy. We were given the choice of drinks at the bar or at our table. We chose the latter and were immediately shown to our table, our drinks order taken and menus produced. Whilst this may seem quick we really weren't rushed. We were given ample time to study the comprehensive menu and then our orders were taken. Three of us had pate to start with and another had melon. We all agreed that they were very good although I would prefer my pate without the top layer of fat which I have noticed is becoming prevalent in many restaurants - still the pate tasted very good and was a generous size. For mains two of us had venison, one had duck and one had chicken. None could be faulted. Whilst they came with plated vegetables the portions were more than adequate.

For anyone who wants a change from the usual Italian restaurant I would have no hesitation in recommending William and Victoria

• Visited August 2014
David_Straker, Owner at William & Victoria, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for your review of the restaurant and feedback about the dishes you had. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the food and service and we hope you will return soon.

The Venison is sourced locally from the Harewood Estate and I am pleased that we have customers who appreciate a restaurant that offers mostly traditional British dishes using Yorkshire sourced ingredients.
UK
“Better than last time.”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Last time we ate upstairs in the main restaurant and it was dreadful. However, we decided to try the wine bar menu before giving up on this place. I'm glad we did. We had a better meal this time. The steak was succulent and nicely prepared, the tikka marsala ok but over spiced and the vegetarian stuffed peppers were tasty. There were still a few problems though. The vegetables weren't correctly cooked. We like Mange tout to be cooked al dente but these were virtually raw and inedible. Also the " creamed suede and carrot" was not creamed at all but was merely mashed and watery.
The sorbet dessert was poor. Clearly bought in supermarket quality sorbet, when it should have been home made for the price.
However, the staff were friendly and service was reasonably quick.
So, good main courses but poor veggies and dessert. Worth a try, as long as your expectations aren't too high.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Lucia2Uk
Thank you for the feedback. It appears that on the whole you enjoyed your meal (I think) but I will pass your comments onto the kitchen, however I would say it is always best to mention any dissatisfaction with food at the time so that it can be rectified. I'm pleased you enjoyed your steak and the vegetarian stuffed peppers. I find that curries are down to personal taste so sorry you found ours a bit too spicy.

Whilst we don't make our own sorbets and ice cream we use carefully selected companies and our aim is to use Yorkshire businesses as much as possible. Our sorbets are from York based Yorvale, who use natural ingredients and real fruit (never had complaints before) and Yorkshire based, Brymor's real dairy ice cream.

If you visit us again, perhaps you would prefer to try one of our home made desserts instead which are all made here at William & Victoria:
Chocolate pot with raspberry fool (gf)
Honey roasted pineapple, coconut ice cream and toffee honeycomb (gf)
William & Victoria apple and pear crumble with vanilla custard
A taste of raspberries: jelly, sorbet with raspberry coulis (gf)
Sticky toffee pudding and Brymor's vanilla ice cream
Lemon curd cheesecake
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Quite possibly the best in Harrogate... perhaps even in North Yorkshire!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Will & Vick's is a great restaurant. It is split in two parts, downstairs is a superbly intimate Bistro, very cool and individual with a great menu; meanwhile upstairs is a more traditional restaurant,that is ideal for both couples or larger groups of friends. The staff are great and the food is superb. Further more this restaurant upstairs is on tastecard which makes it great value. Even without tastecard it's affordable, and if you want to impress, a girl for example, get booked in to the bistro downstairs if you can (though remember I remain single, it's not a pass port to happiness, just a really good meal!)
Upstairs I would unflinchingly reccoment the belly pork!
My only criticism would be the tempura batter on the starters can be a little heavy, otherwise this is perfect, every main I've had, and I've been lots, has always been stunning!

3 Thank DjTrevUK
Thank you for the glowing review. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Amazing food , fabulous service!!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I arranged a meal for my friends hen party and the correspondence prior to attending was excellent. super communication and courtesy call prior to the evening.
Our waiter Tyler was fabulous and we were well looked after. The food was amazing and staff were super helpful and attended to our every need. Everyone enjoyed the food, wine and ambience of the restaurant and we had a fabulous time!!

2 Thank charvj
Thank you for the review. As you are probably now aware, we don't normally accept hen night bookings after previous bad experiences, however this one slipped the net! Thank you for being well behaved and I'm pleased you enjoyed your evening with us.