“Our wedding”

Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Herts
“Our wedding”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We had our wedding reception here last month, just got back from honeymoon. Thanks to all the staff at the hotel we had a very good time and have had great feedback from out guests. Thankyou for a good time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank chriscody
NewCounty123, General Manager at The New County Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Congratulations on your special day! We are so pleased we were able to be a part of it. All the staff work incredibly hard to ensure all our parties and events go smoothly so they will be delighted to hear how pleased you were.
We are definitely looking forward to ensuring all the Christmas celebrations we will be hosting go just as smoothly as yours!!
All the very best wishes to you both for a wonderful, happy future together!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Amersham
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I use the New County about 4 times a yr, and was reluctant to book my latest visit after a poor experience earlier this year.
However I ended up re-booking, and have to say that i noticed a significant improvement.
The Breakfast was much less fussy and quicker - and my room experience was vastly better.
I got the impression that there may have been a change in management, and if so Hurrah!
Look forward to further improvements when i come back in December.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank stevebhall
General M, General Manager at The New County Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you for the encouraging feedback. The hotel is constantly looking to improve and offer even more value to our guests. We now offer complimentary cereal, fruit and yogurts with self serve tea, coffee, and juices as well as offering a great priced freshly cooked breakfast menu. We definitely look forward to your return in December when our Christmas events and menus will be in full swing!
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Not good from the very start. Poor welcome. Through their own negligence, reception had failed to register my booking made through Booking.com. A lot of time was wasted in putting this to rights. No apologies. Bedroom and bathroom were clean but basic in décor and furnishings. Items were missing: no teaspoon and no soap. Mattress was of the cheap quality. The room itself had an uninviting view of over the back of the hotel. The temperature was too warm, despite windows being opened and the central heating turned off. Continental breakfast was very poor in range and quality.No bread was provided - you paid extra for this. Milk in the jug was sour and undrinkable. I had to go in search of someone in the kitchen to seek its replacement. Service was haphazard. the staff appeared not to have received adequate training. Not a place I could possibly recommend

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Stephen B
General M, Area Manager at The New County Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
I am sorry for the poor standard of your stay as you described. Again, I would like more details from you so I can track exactly who the staff in question were so I can refresh their training and ensure they understand fully what is expected of our customer care. This standard would be totally unacceptable to me. If you would email natalie@newcountyhotelgloucester.co.uk I would greatly appreciate it.

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

I arrived at this hotel this evening, after eight hours of travel, accompanied by three colleagues.
The lady at reception was less than welcoming and it took around 25 minutes to check in, despite the fact that we had advance bookings. One of my colleagues suggested that we had gone through a time warp and landed back in the 1960s!
The room is clean but old fashioned.
We went out for a meal and when we came back we found that the front door was locked from 11pm. One of our party had a code for the door but I warn the unsuspecting , bring a torch or you have no chance of gaining entrance. It can only get better......

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Peter D
I am sorry you received a poor welcome by one of our staff at The New County. I would like to take this further so if you would email more details to me at natalie@newcountyhotelgloucester.co.uk so I can find out details and ensure the staff member is better informed and given a refresher on customer care as well as any issues they may have encountered during the checking in procedure- such as ensuring guests are fully aware of the door code. As a result of your comment we also have returned to a night porter for busier nights when a later return to the hotel is more likely. I am at least glad you found the rooms to be of a good, clean standard although we may disagree about decor! Thank you for taking the time to respond- we have at very least learned a lesson from this.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Well what to say, on spending a week here again for our historic research of Gloucester, we found that the hotel has had a change of Management again.
The hotel is pleasant, some cracks that need filling just like anywhere, but the slating this hotel has been getting on here is just wrong.
This is my second time staying here and must say I have always found the staff to be polite the hotel does not have a lift yes but it does state this so why are you moaning about stairs? The rooms are clean enough for what you want as if you want romance find a 5 star hotel and get what you will pay for. I think the hotel is good enough for the price and more than suitable.
The place is clean enough and cannot stand people who run places down when I bet they are not use to no better, it's just slander. So good job people do not take too much notice of Tripadisor's reviews.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank sweety135
Gloucester is an amazing place to visit! I'm glad you were able to stay with us. Thank you for your response I am so pleased we were able to provide you with a clean, comfortable base to explore all Gloucester has to offer- especially as the location is so central being in the town centre.
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

On the 7th September 2013 Gloucester had it's traditional parade day celebrating the siege of Gloucester over 300 years ago. Every year the veterans of The Gloucestershire Regiment have a reunion on this day and take part in the celebrations and march through the city with other organisations. Each year the vets stayed at the New Inn Hotel (for the want of a better word) and was treated with respect by past managers/landlady/landlord and was treated to free food as the days takings from the vets were in excess of £4,000 and due to this, every year to show their appreciation to our past and present armed forces and in particular to the old county Regiment, The Glorious Glosters. Laying aside the food, this year the veterans were treated with disrespect and were disregarded by the present landlady as irrelevant. The New County staff on this day made our members who stayed there feel very welcomed and they could not do enough for them, the hotel is outstanding and the food was 2nd to none and this will reflect in next years attendance in so much as I believe they will be full to the brim! As for the New Inn we would suggest that people would look the fracard of the landlady, of which she is very good at!

Room Tip: All, bare in mind that this Hotel is on the main street through the town so a little noise (at times...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank paul w
General M, Area Manager at The New County Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review- it is lovely to read an example from all the times the system goes right rather than just when it goes wrong! I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us at The New County. We very much look forward to welcoming you next year and any other time you stay with us in Gloucester.
Reviewed 18 September 2013

In a word: poor. A tiny single room facing onto the street with traditional single glazed windows that equates to noise, noise, noise. Not to mention paper thin walls between the rooms that allow you to hear every conversation quite clearly. Topped off by a receptionist with a rotten attitude obviously wanting to be somewhere else. Please shut down and do any future unsuspecting Customers a favour.

• Stayed October 2012