“sleepless in Gloucester” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
London, United Kingdom
“sleepless in Gloucester”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

We recently visited this hotel as part of a trip to see my daughter. The staff were friendly but did not inform us of the location of a club or all night pub close to our room. As a result we spent a sleepless night with music continuing until 7am Sunday morning. We will avoid it on our next visit.

Room Tip: Go for the top floors as thats were the staff rooms are.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank plumbq

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed on the 8th March, location great for the town centre and shops/docks. Room was basic but clean, we couldn't open the window due to noise from extractors so the room was very hot.
Service very good. A very good breakfast included in the price of £48 per room (for two people) which for a town centre is great value, no parking at hotel but only £3 for 24 hours at a nearby NCP car park, just 2 minutes walk from the hotel so not a problem at all.
Our shower didn't have a curtain, within a few minutes of asking a new one was put up without any fuss. Shower fitting fell apart but I managed to reassemble it, plenty of hot water. No hair dryers so take your own.
Overall very good and we would stay again but would ask to avoid room no. 9.

Room Tip: Avoid room 9 and possibly in the summer the rooms at the front of the hotel as there is a court yard...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Champagne1958
Gloucester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We attended a 70th Birthday Party and stayed overnight as part of the function booking package. The function room is superb, the food was excellent and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was large and clean, albeit could have been a bit warmer, so the heating system needs some attention. The full english breakfast was first class as was the service. We would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank grayw
General M, General Manager at The New County Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for the feedback. I am delighted you not only enjoyed your stay, but also had a great time at the birthday party. The ballroom really is a perfect space for any occasion and the team work hard to ensure it all runs smoothly! It was a great evening which we enjoyed hosting. We hope we welcome you back again soon.
Leek, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

My wife and I made a reservation for Sunday evening, and we paid for a Super King Room in advance. On arrival at Reception I was assisted by a very helpful young man who showed me exactly where to park and provided me with a reduced rate parking ticket to display in the NCP car park in order to avoid any additional charges. On returning to the Hotel, we were met by three staff members in Reception who ignored both my wife and I and continued with their own private discussion. One staff member did eventually greet us, although we were told we hadn't actually booked as they don't confirm any so called provisional bookings. We were then astounded as the other members of staff discussed whether or not they could be bothered to provide any sort of breakfast for us the following morning. We were then informed that they "would probably just chuck out some fruit and stuff" instead. The room we were given was a standard double, and was extremely cold. There was very little in the way of tea or coffee provided, and there was no information or literature in the room whatsoever. The following morning when we went down to the restaurant for breakfast, we were rather shocked to find little more than a few individual boxes of cereal, sachets of instant coffee and only herbal tea. There was a glass bowl containing around a dozen yoghurts, all of which were two or three days past their use by date, and none of which were even remotely chilled. There was a jar of milk, uncovered, and again not chilled in the slightest, and a bowl of some very sad looking fruit. We didn't stop for breakfast needless to say. We have tried several times to find the name of a Manager in order to raise these issues, but have had no success so far. The New County Hotel is in itself a lovely Hotel, however the same cannot be said of most of the staff. Extremely disappointing.

Room Tip: Book a different Hotel!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank mark h
I am shocked to hear of your stay. I would like to look into this further and would appreciate it if you could forward details to natalie@newcountyhotelgloucester.co.uk. That level of service is unacceptable and not something I would expect nor accept of the team here.

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the New County at the last minute so that I could have a drink at my work Christmas party. I hadn't heard great things and the negative reviews on here made me a little nervous, but I was pleasantly surprised. After a tricky booking in (the computer was not working and the receptionist asked me to come back later!) I went to my room. It was small but spotlessly clean and I later had a great nights sleep. Having booked through booking.com I got a great deal which ended up being cheaper than the price I would have paid to get the train back to Bristol! As long as you don't expect the Ritz this hotel is fine.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Allie82
I am pleased you had a good stay with us. Again, we really do offer exceptional value. It really does make sense to be able to enjoy a night in the city centre- or indeed with us in the ballroom at one of the many functions we cater for, and be able to just go upstairs to sleep! Thank you for the positive feedback.
Bournemouth, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

I was down one weekend for my birthday to see some friends I haven't seen for a while due to living away. I admit I was a bit bit reluctant to book due to some of the bad reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. I was greated at reception and made to feel so welcome. I was given all of the information I would need and they couldn't do enough for me. I went to my room and what can I say. Definitely good value for money. It was spotless and the attention to detail was magnificent. The decorations just set it off. Comfy bed and nice warm feeling made me feel right at home. I had food and a drink before I went out and the food was to die for. The freshest of ingredients by far and just like reception, all of the staff were happy to help and so welcoming. All of these negative reviews are by far a joke. Yes you hear bird's but your by the docks. What do you expect? Try living in Bournemouth. Then you'll have something to complain about. And as for the noise outside the front. Your in the city centre what do you expect? By far the best hotel in Gloucester and will recommend to other people and definitely stay again. Immaculate rooms and the most friendly and welcoming staff you could ever ask for.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank CheekyMonkey1708
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The team work very hard to provide a good standard of service to all of our guests. It is a great hotel in a fantastic location- perfectly postitioned to see all Gloucester has to offer.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Not only did we get a warm welcome from reception staff we were dealing with directly on arrival, but this continued in all areas as if we had been passed from one to the other personally. Even the bar which was busy (but comfortably so) continued this and made us feel as if we were valued customers, and this carried on through to breakfast the next morning.

Had a bit of a problem with the satnav on the way into Gloucester, but the friendly receptionist 'talked us in' until we were parked up.

Well worth a stay if visiting Gloucester or close to your planned route, and very good value.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bijoutartette
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be helpful. We constantly strive to offer good service and great value to our guests. I will be sure to pass on your comments and ensure the team are well informed so we can continue to offer that level of service. We hope we can welcome you back soon!