“Single rooms - very good value - except during the Cheltenham Festival, obviously”

The New County Hotel
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Booked this hotel as its on way to the Millennium Stadium (where incidentally we beat the Scottish soundly!) For the money (£30 per night through Late Rooms) I expected basic but I was pleasantly surprised by the beautifully and tastefully decorated single rooms. Beds were comfortable, bathroom very nicely fitted (although water was tepid on both mornings). Breakfast was excellent (even though finding butter and sugar was an unnecessary challenge). Didn't hear any noise from the night club?? Theres a Tesco Express opposite (which is handy for bottled water as the tap tastes horrible). Only one other thing - Room 18 has an old bathroom fan which is noisy and full of dust. Room 17 obviously also has such a problem as it kept me awake for 20 minutes when the occupants decided to have shower at 00:30. A polite request to the night porter the following evening resulted in a change to Room 19 - thanks! All in all a good location. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Don't take Room 18 until they've changed the fan and the one in Room 17!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MisterBrian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Visited this hotel for the Cheltenham festival . Charged £250 per night for twin rooms . WC disgusting on check in and had to change room . Single beds tiny , totally disinterested waiting staff at breakfast and poor quality food , can't even poach or fry eggs
Would have been disappointed if I had paid £125 per night , rip off , keep well clear

Stayed March 2014
6 Thank Tim H

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We recently visited this hotel as part of a trip to see my daughter. The staff were friendly but did not inform us of the location of a club or all night pub close to our room. As a result we spent a sleepless night with music continuing until 7am Sunday morning. We will avoid it on our next visit.

Room Tip: Go for the top floors as thats were the staff rooms are.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank plumbq
Essex
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed on the 8th March, location great for the town centre and shops/docks. Room was basic but clean, we couldn't open the window due to noise from extractors so the room was very hot.
Service very good. A very good breakfast included in the price of £48 per room (for two people) which for a town centre is great value, no parking at hotel but only £3 for 24 hours at a nearby NCP car park, just 2 minutes walk from the hotel so not a problem at all.
Our shower didn't have a curtain, within a few minutes of asking a new one was put up without any fuss. Shower fitting fell apart but I managed to reassemble it, plenty of hot water. No hair dryers so take your own.
Overall very good and we would stay again but would ask to avoid room no. 9.

Room Tip: Avoid room 9 and possibly in the summer the rooms at the front of the hotel as there is a court yard...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Champagne1958
Gloucester
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We attended a 70th Birthday Party and stayed overnight as part of the function booking package. The function room is superb, the food was excellent and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was large and clean, albeit could have been a bit warmer, so the heating system needs some attention. The full english breakfast was first class as was the service. We would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank grayw
General M, General Manager at The New County Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for the feedback. I am delighted you not only enjoyed your stay, but also had a great time at the birthday party. The ballroom really is a perfect space for any occasion and the team work hard to ensure it all runs smoothly! It was a great evening which we enjoyed hosting. We hope we welcome you back again soon.
Leek, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My wife and I made a reservation for Sunday evening, and we paid for a Super King Room in advance. On arrival at Reception I was assisted by a very helpful young man who showed me exactly where to park and provided me with a reduced rate parking ticket to display in the NCP car park in order to avoid any additional charges. On returning to the Hotel, we were met by three staff members in Reception who ignored both my wife and I and continued with their own private discussion. One staff member did eventually greet us, although we were told we hadn't actually booked as they don't confirm any so called provisional bookings. We were then astounded as the other members of staff discussed whether or not they could be bothered to provide any sort of breakfast for us the following morning. We were then informed that they "would probably just chuck out some fruit and stuff" instead. The room we were given was a standard double, and was extremely cold. There was very little in the way of tea or coffee provided, and there was no information or literature in the room whatsoever. The following morning when we went down to the restaurant for breakfast, we were rather shocked to find little more than a few individual boxes of cereal, sachets of instant coffee and only herbal tea. There was a glass bowl containing around a dozen yoghurts, all of which were two or three days past their use by date, and none of which were even remotely chilled. There was a jar of milk, uncovered, and again not chilled in the slightest, and a bowl of some very sad looking fruit. We didn't stop for breakfast needless to say. We have tried several times to find the name of a Manager in order to raise these issues, but have had no success so far. The New County Hotel is in itself a lovely Hotel, however the same cannot be said of most of the staff. Extremely disappointing.

Room Tip: Book a different Hotel!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank mark h
I am shocked to hear of your stay. I would like to look into this further and would appreciate it if you could forward details to natalie@newcountyhotelgloucester.co.uk. That level of service is unacceptable and not something I would expect nor accept of the team here.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the New County at the last minute so that I could have a drink at my work Christmas party. I hadn't heard great things and the negative reviews on here made me a little nervous, but I was pleasantly surprised. After a tricky booking in (the computer was not working and the receptionist asked me to come back later!) I went to my room. It was small but spotlessly clean and I later had a great nights sleep. Having booked through booking.com I got a great deal which ended up being cheaper than the price I would have paid to get the train back to Bristol! As long as you don't expect the Ritz this hotel is fine.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Allie82
I am pleased you had a good stay with us. Again, we really do offer exceptional value. It really does make sense to be able to enjoy a night in the city centre- or indeed with us in the ballroom at one of the many functions we cater for, and be able to just go upstairs to sleep! Thank you for the positive feedback.