“Two nights in Gloucester - well worth a visit!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The New County Hotel

The New County Hotel
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Reading, United Kingdom
“Two nights in Gloucester - well worth a visit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed here on a Thursday and Friday night - one night on business plus with an extra night to look around Gloucester itself. We had a room at the back of the hotel which was good because we understand on a Friday night it can be quite noisy out front.
The best thing about the hotel is the central position - you can walk to all the sights and historic buildings including the docks, the cathedral and shops. The car park is directly behind the hotel - the NCP at Blackfriars in Ladybellgate Street. The hotel will give you a voucher and you then pay £3 per 24 hours and if you're staying for two nights you can put £6 straight in at forget about it but remember to display the voucher next to your car park ticket!
Rooms were clean, plenty of hot water, tea & coffee making facilities TV etc - no problems. Breakfast was O.K., not sumptuous you understand but not many people seemed to be having breakfast - not sure why.
Staff were friendly and we would definitely stay there again and probably will. Convenient position, car parking and good value. This venue is a good choice for a good value break and we were very happy with our stay.
One suggestion for the management team - explain the parking arrangements on your website.

Room Tip: Clarify the parking with the hotel before you arrive - you need to park in a certain area.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bob and Pat G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

On booking I asked for a "Quiet" room, so I was surprised that I was allocated a first floor room above the bar, and at the front of the hotel overlooking the 'high street'. Wi-Fi internet access wasn't possible in my room, so I asked to be given another room. The new room was nicely decorated (as was the first), but the shower cubicle was tiny and there wasn't a shelf on which to put anything. I asked for an iron and ironing board when I arrived. After they didn't arrive, I had to return to reception to chase them.

Breakfast was adequate, and overall the stay was good value. It costs an additional £3 to park overnight in the pay and display car-park at the rear of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 12345Traveller
Dorking, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We checked into the New County Hotel, Gloucester, on a return trip to Surrey after a lovely holiday week away in Wales.
It was a warm Saturday summer evening and this is a busy City Centre hotel with lots of casual bar business.
The room was great. Clean and tidy with modern decor. We were pleased with our booking at this point.
As the evening progressed, the noise from a function room directly beneath our room became unbearable, and an unacceptable level of volume from the function made it impossible for my partner and I to fall asleep before the early hours of Sunday morning.
On checking out that morning I thought it perfectly in order to raise the issue with the receptionist and , in turn, with the duty manager.
The General manager of Western Hotels Ltd, Mr Matthew Lannon was called and eventually I had my opportunity to explain the detail of my complaint to a person in authority.
This was my big mistake. Mr Lannon greeted me with the aggressive body language of a pub bouncer and proceeded to become more and more obnoxious with every minute. Concluding with a threat to physically eject me from his hotel.
I feel that I must add, at this point, that I am 64 & my partner is 70 years old. Hardly what you might call 'trouble making guests'.
Resigned to the fact that I was not going to get any reasonable response from this 'manager' I would target my complaint to the CEO of Western Hotels, and this is what I will be doing after this review.
In conclusion I would like to say that the other staff were fine and the room facilities also most acceptable for a three star establishment.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, dont accept room 25 !!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Temmow
NewCounty123, General Manager at The New County Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest

I think it would be beneficial for other reviewers if I was to remind you of what actually did happen.

You spoke to our duty manager on shift but you continually demanded to speak to the General Manager. You where given my contact details but still insisted that this was not acceptable and you wanted to speak to me now. At this point after an early hours in the morning finish I was called. I responded to the hotel as soon as possible and as I only live around the corner this only took a few minutes.

Your complaint was started with 'I want a full refund'. I made you aware that throughout the whole night nobody had complained about the noise of the function. We had also not received any comment from yourself. I did also mention that should you have phoned we would have naturally done everything we could to help.

Following this I was surprised when you claimed you was kept awake until 1am because of the function. I made you aware the function finished at exactly midnight and by ten past midnight the only two people left within the downstairs of the building was myself and the night porter. There was in no way any further disturbance after this.

You them claimed you only had 1 hours sleep despite stating that you fell asleep at 1am and had only just woken up. By now this was 9.30am.

You have also failed to mention the resulting threat to ask you to leave the hotel was when you became verbally abusive, and at one point used inappropriate language in a hotel reception area where there were also young children present. You did later apologise for your use of foul language.

Finally I can only assume you reference to a pub bouncer is an underhanded comment about my weight and I think such a personal attack reiterates my comments about your appalling use of language in a public area resulting in a rare occasion that a guest left unhappy.

Matthew Lannon

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Regina, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

On the whole this hotel has been enjoyable with very pleasant and helpful staff. It's centrally located and easy to get to major sites.The amount of stairs to get to rooms and twisty hallways was a little disconcerting.When I moved to another room on the second night, it was much easier. Beds could use better mattresses though and walls are thin so noises from others is a bit of a problem. For the price and the location, it was an okay stay. Rooms all seem to be small, but clean.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the first floor, otherwise there are miles of steps, which are fine if you're you...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Judith S
Windermere, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed here with a group of friends. I was a little apprehensive after reading the reviewer describing their stay as "scary". Our experience was very different. We found the staff welcoming both on reception and at the bar. The rooms were clean and comfortable. My room was at the rear of the hotel and was very quiet. The hotel looked like it had been recently refurbished. For price and location I thought this to be good value and would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank WindermereBoys
Wigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed on a Saturday night to break up our journey home and look around the City over the weekend. The Hotel and Room were clean and well presented. We had a quiet Room at the back, Rooms at the front overlooking a main shopping street may be noisier. Breakfast was a pleasant experience. The discounted car parking arrangements were misleading and despite assurances by the Receptionist to look into this we paid 12.20 with no discount. An email remains unanswered after 14 days disappointingly.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RonWigan
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed overnight on an impromptu visit to the area and were lucky in just popping in and finding a room available. A lovely old building which I am sure would benefit from further upgrade work (but hopefully not to the extent that it would lose it's unique character). The room was fine and the bed comfortable with a perfectly adequate en-suite bathroom. I am not sure if there was air-conditioning, but if not, I could imagine the place getting very warm in the summer, so beware of that if coolness is a priority for you. The service was absolutely fine - all staff we encountered were lovely. Breakfast at £6 each was freshly cooked to order as well as including cereals, juice etc ... and again, served by a friendly (and busy) waitress. If you're looking for value in a town-centre location, in something a little traditional and with good staff and services, this is a good 'un. A good night's sleep and full tummies after breakfast for £67 for 2 - yes, I would definitely return. Sometimes, from some of the reviews I read here, I honestly wonder what people expect for the money they spend ........

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple