Having booked online via Late Rooms I read some reviews here and called the hotel to try and ensure we would not have a similarly negative experience to some other guests. I asked for a room in the quietest part of the hotel possible and was assured that wish would be granted. When we got to the hotel there was only one receptionist and a guest ahead of me who couldn't recall what name he had used to book his room?! After what seemed like an age, the lone receptionist got him sorted and booked me in courteously and efficiently if a little coldly. Having negotiated a warren of corridors, stairs and fire doors (luckily with one small suitcase) I found myself in a decent size room that looked clean and comfortable. The furnishings weren't great but the bed looked comfortable and for £55 I figured it was par for the course - until I looked out the window to be treated to a depressing view of the hotel's service entrance. There also appeared to be a colony of seagulls perching on all the nearby rooftops. Since we were close to the wharf and the river that seemed to make some kind of sense but little did I know, until much later, that they are a
Having returned late from a concert in Cheltenham we got to bed at 1pm only to realise these gulls don't sleep! Their constant cries kept us awake all night and they were so loud I saw little point in raising the night porter and trying to secure another room since I doubted it would make any difference, no matter where you were in the building. I gave up on sleep at 6:00pm and went out for a stroll. On returning at 7:50am I asked a young male staff member, where breakfast was served. He said he didn't think they did breakfast but I could ask the bar manager who was in the adjoining bar. She told me breakfast started at 8:00am at a cost of £6 per head at my room rate. My wife and I went down to breakfast at 9:30 but there was no menu. A charming waitress brought us menus upon request and I asked if it was £6 per head irrespective of whether one had a cooked breakfast or just the continental breakfast. She said: "what's a continental breakfast"?! So we had a cooked breakfast which was adequate aside from the somewhat suspect sausages which I would recommend avoiding. Afterwards, check out was reasonably quick and easy aside from the fact that the reception booth was empty and there was no bell to alert staff there was a customer present. But the receptionist soon appeared and all was well. I told the receptionist about the seagulls and she expressed surprise since she didn't usually get complaints about them from guests situated in our part of the hotel?! In other words they are a known and ever present menace which the hotel naturally keeps very quiet about.
I don't blame the hotel staff since seagull removal is clearly beyond their remit but they could at least be open about it and notify prospective guests that it might be a problem if one doesn't sleep like a rock under any circumstances.
I didn't get the feeling that the staff there are a happy and motivated team and would hope they would take more care in cleaning their bathroom tiles, whose grout was blackened with dirt close to the tub which put us off having a shower or a bath.
For £55 for one night, absent the seagulls, it was an OK stay but next time I would book elsewhere and avoid the seagull colony.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The New County hotel is a traditional building, that has been refurbished to a high standard modern interior. It is situated in the heart of Gloucester City, easily reached by the M5 and rail station is only 5 minutes away from the hotel. Relax in our chic restaurant offering modern cuisine, using fresh local produce. Celebrate in style in our magnificent ballroom. Do business in our conference & banqueting suites. Enjoy the quality experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The New County Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gloucester Best Western
- New County Hotel Gloucester
- The New County Hotel Gloucester, Gloucestershire