“Thumbs up!”

The New County Hotel
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We recently did a short road trip and stayed at the New County and the only thing 2 bad things I could say about the place is, it would have been nice If breakfast had of been included in the price and the room was boiling hot. Saying that it was one of the hottest days of the years and a fan was provided.
On the up side, the location was fantastic. Very close to shops, pubs, the fantastic historic Gloucester Docks, restaurants and food outlets where you can easily pick breakfast up for a few pounds. We stayed in room 27 and the view of the church over the way was lovely :))

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Arran T

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Efficient and clean hotel. Building has character but has been tastefully decorated. Pay extra for breakfast normally (6 pounds) but they honoured a mistake with expedia without being asked. Good cooked breakfast, juice, limitless tea etc. Quiet at night if in back rooms. Not sure if in front.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank penguin000
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My friends & I chose to eat at the New County as we live local & like to support our local businesses.
On entering the hotel we were pleasantly surprised at the lovely modern interior, it was a warm Saturday evening, there was no air conditioning, no fans & no windows to open, it became very uncomfortable.
The two female staff on duty were very welcoming & very attentive.
Two members of our party chose the sirloin steak, despite being £16.99 each, however its was poor, lots of gristle, very chewy & quite small in size.
We are not complainers, but decided to air our concerns to the waitress as she had been very keen to see we were all happy with everything.
The waitress said she would speak to someone, that was the last we heard. not wanting to make a fuss, we paid the bill & left.
Sadly we wont be eating there again, which is a shame as it was a lovely evening except for the food.
The staff are excellent & very friendly & a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jojocarly
Reviewed 24 July 2014

In Gloucester overnight to visit friends. Central position, we unloaded the car outside, booked in and found our room easily. We then parked the car immediately behind the hotel with a reduced price parking voucher. £3.00 for 24 hours. Our ensuite budget room was small, clean with a comfortable bed. Bathroom was fine with wonderful power shower, toiletries and soft towels. Kettle with teas and coffees on hand. We had a good quiet nights sleep and a good breakfast. The cathedral, shops, harbour and quay all within easy reach. Compared to other local hotels the price was incredibly reasonable.We'll definitely stay here next time.

Room Tip: On a Saturday night mid July it was quiet in the area, though the hotel does have functions.
1  Thank AnenCV
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Room was clean and had most of the expected facilities but unbearably hot. No air-conditioning though the hotel did supply a fan (and a 2nd one when I asked) but didn't really help.
No hotel information in the room so was unaware of meal times, wifi etc.
Staff were pleasant enough but I left my phone charger in the room by accident and I'm still waiting for it to be returned.

Room Tip: rooms at the back of the hotel will be quieter than at the front as those look directly onto a coupl...
1  Thank pammy869
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We only stayed over here for 2 nights but must say it was good value.

Although we checked in at the early hours of the morning the night porter was helpful and answered any questions we had and swiftly checked us in, we were still able get a quick drink as we were informed the bar was 24hrs to residents.

When we got to our room we were happy with it, good facilities and slept ok.

we were greeted by the waitress in the morning without delay , a good selection for breakfast that was all included in our room rate.

Only downside - there was quite alot of noise from neighboring seagulls!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ms w
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Having booked online via Late Rooms I read some reviews here and called the hotel to try and ensure we would not have a similarly negative experience to some other guests. I asked for a room in the quietest part of the hotel possible and was assured that wish would be granted. When we got to the hotel there was only one receptionist and a guest ahead of me who couldn't recall what name he had used to book his room?! After what seemed like an age, the lone receptionist got him sorted and booked me in courteously and efficiently if a little coldly. Having negotiated a warren of corridors, stairs and fire doors (luckily with one small suitcase) I found myself in a decent size room that looked clean and comfortable. The furnishings weren't great but the bed looked comfortable and for £55 I figured it was par for the course - until I looked out the window to be treated to a depressing view of the hotel's service entrance. There also appeared to be a colony of seagulls perching on all the nearby rooftops. Since we were close to the wharf and the river that seemed to make some kind of sense but little did I know, until much later, that they are a
permanent fixture.

Having returned late from a concert in Cheltenham we got to bed at 1pm only to realise these gulls don't sleep! Their constant cries kept us awake all night and they were so loud I saw little point in raising the night porter and trying to secure another room since I doubted it would make any difference, no matter where you were in the building. I gave up on sleep at 6:00pm and went out for a stroll. On returning at 7:50am I asked a young male staff member, where breakfast was served. He said he didn't think they did breakfast but I could ask the bar manager who was in the adjoining bar. She told me breakfast started at 8:00am at a cost of £6 per head at my room rate. My wife and I went down to breakfast at 9:30 but there was no menu. A charming waitress brought us menus upon request and I asked if it was £6 per head irrespective of whether one had a cooked breakfast or just the continental breakfast. She said: "what's a continental breakfast"?! So we had a cooked breakfast which was adequate aside from the somewhat suspect sausages which I would recommend avoiding. Afterwards, check out was reasonably quick and easy aside from the fact that the reception booth was empty and there was no bell to alert staff there was a customer present. But the receptionist soon appeared and all was well. I told the receptionist about the seagulls and she expressed surprise since she didn't usually get complaints about them from guests situated in our part of the hotel?! In other words they are a known and ever present menace which the hotel naturally keeps very quiet about.

I don't blame the hotel staff since seagull removal is clearly beyond their remit but they could at least be open about it and notify prospective guests that it might be a problem if one doesn't sleep like a rock under any circumstances.

I didn't get the feeling that the staff there are a happy and motivated team and would hope they would take more care in cleaning their bathroom tiles, whose grout was blackened with dirt close to the tub which put us off having a shower or a bath.

For £55 for one night, absent the seagulls, it was an OK stay but next time I would book elsewhere and avoid the seagull colony.

Room Tip: Ask to try a room before committing to determine whether or not you can hear seagulls!
2  Thank Nicholas F