“Great hotel.... despite the staff!”

Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I stayed here with my wife for a relaxing one-night break away from the kids, booked as an offer through the Waitrose magazine. The outside appearance of the hotel is nothing special, but no matter because the inside is recently refurbished in tasteful, plush decor and is fresh and welcoming. The check-in experience was very positive - the receptionist knew the offer we had booked and gave us all the information we needed to use the hotel and leisure club. The deal was dinner, B&B and we had to book a place in the restaurant at check-in - best book a table in good time as we had the choice of 18:45 or 21:00! We went for the latter.

Our double room was clean, tidy, well-presented and nicely furnished and despite being a 'standard' hotel room in terms of size and layout, was a nice environment to relax in.

The health club was, again, clean and presentable, with a large changing, locker and showering room, a decent leisure pool (not one for serious exercise) with jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and poolside loungers.

Our deal included tapas in the bar - we were told this was served from 17:30 - 19:30 so we headed for the bar as early as possible. Here it appeared there were lots of staff moving about a lot but managing to achieve very little. It took 5 minutes before anyone was available to take an order for a drink and the tapas. The tapas was not actually ready to serve until 18:00, but it was very nice when it did finally arrive.

We later headed for the restaurant and, once again, had to wait for someone to spot us and take us to a table. Service of food and drinks was fine and the food itself was very good.

At breakfast the next day we arrived around 09:30 and were shown to a table. A fire alarm then started, which the staff and diners all appeared to ignore. Eventually 2 or 3 staff moved through the restaurant asking that we evacuate, which we did. However it seems we were in the minority as, after a 5 minute wait, we returned to our table to see most diners had simply stayed where they were; not a great situation and one where the staff should have taken more control. We finally made it to the hot breakfast buffet to be greeted by numerous empty or mostly empty dishes, no plates, no cutlery etc. The staff simply could not keep up with demand and, worst of all, the kitchen had run out of sausages! The buffet area was simply too small to cater for a busy breakfast service. It also took some perseverance by my wife to actually order hot drinks, and then we had to ask again - this appeared to be a theme for the restaurant as we saw several other tables having to ask and ask again for drinks and other requests. My wife summed it up very well - the staff all looked like rabbits in the headlights; using another animal analogy, I likened the staff to headless chickens.

Despite the above though, I did enjoy my stay. If I had been there under different circumstances (for example on business) I might have found it tiresome and frustrating but as I was there to relax and unwind, it was all merely amusing observation.

I really wanted to like this hotel and, on the face of it, there's a lot to like. The bar and restaurant areas could really do with an overhaul in terms of efficiency and customer service though (to be clear, at no time was any member of staff anything other than courteous).

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Richard P, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Thank you for your comments and observations, and I am glad that on the whole you had an enjoyable break with us this past weekend. I am sorry that the customer service wasn't what it should have been on Sunday morning, and given there was a false alarm which did indeed serve to hinder what is normally a busy service, we have reviewed how such a situation should be better managed in the future regarding how we continue with the breakfast service once it has been interupted.
We will take all your comments on board as there are some learning curves for our team, however the posative aspects also will indeed be passed on also.

Richard Platts

Write a ReviewReviews (1,687)

Reviewed 15 September 2011

I would just like to say a BIG thank you to all the staff at Hallmark Gloucester for making our weekend special. Excellent service Rooms outstanding and the staff at breakfast especially Jake and the young girls would loverly. The food in the at night was again outstanding. We loved our stay and our friends who came with loved the stay at hallmark as well. THANK YOU

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Richard P, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2011

I am glad your anniversary weekend was made to be a special one and that you and your friends had a great time. Thank you.

Reviewed 13 September 2011

Recently stayed for a short break with my wife at the Hallmark hotel. We hadnt specifically planned to stay for the Tall ships event but it was a great coincidence and thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. If you havent been to this free festival make a point to do it. Great for kids and adults alike. Back to the hotel, great setting out on the edge of Gloucester but close enough to allow us to catch a bus in and leave the car safely at the hotel. The building is quite near a golf course which you can stroll down to also, there is also a dry Ski slope opposite too if you are feeling adventurous. The hotel is very good quality from the reception to the restaurant and bar. The leisure facilities are good too with Gym area, nice indoor pools and spa also. Steam room was out of order when we were there but the Sauna was a great alternative. Staff were efficient and friendly. Rooms very clean and good size, ours overlooked the rear of the hotel which was more car park spaces and the Tennis Courts and it was great fun to see a flock of sheep suddenly appear and wander across! Gloucester itself was a nice city to visit and I had the total joy of watching my club, Man Utd, take Arsenal apart 8-2 while having a beer or three in the Varsity pub in the City - will always be a memory of Gloucester to me! The docks are worth a visit on the Tall Ships event lots to do and see and great value, although the food stalls were a bit expensive.... All in all recommend this hotel for short stays and visits to the Cotswolds and surrounding areas. Suggest a SatNav to find it though, yes I did get lost a couple of times, but my wife said it was just me getting too old, thanks love....

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the rear of the hotel are quiet (neaighbours nothwithstanding of course)
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Richard P, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

Thank you for your comments, indeed that you had a great time in the surrounding area as well as the hotel. The Tall Ships has been a great sucess this year and something we at the hotel are keen to support for future years.

I will pass on your kind remarks to my team.

Hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 10 September 2011

A pleasant room with a very comfortable bed. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast offered a satisfactory choice, with average quality,main drawback being some foods not keeping hot enough on the self-service area.The evening meal was enjoyable,good choice of food,nicely cooked and tasty. Service was very good one evening but a little slow on the other when the restaurant was busy. The serving staff were hard-working but possibly a little inexperienced.

1  Thank Salop2011

Thank you for your comments, and it is important for us to understand where we have been inconsistant, this feedback is helpful for us to ensure we maintain our standards and have the right balance of experience within our teams on duty.

Reviewed 5 September 2011

We went to this hotel as we had obtained a 'spa and afternoon tea' voucher - the expectation on the hotel was a lot higher than the reality.

On first impressions, the hotel looked nice, and we were looking forward to our stay. We started off with our 'spa' experience, which was a total let down. The spa element is that there is a pool, a steam room (broken when we were there) and a sauna. There was no peaceful, relaxing element to it because the pool was full of families, and pool floaters for kids (noodles, floating blocks etc) If I was staying here without the expectations of using spa facilities then I would have been happy enough, but the hotel is really not selling itself in the right way.

We took afternoon tea in the bar area, which was nice and modern. The service was good, but the food was not. The bread for the sandwiches was dry - we think they may prepare the afternoon tea trays in the morning and leave them out until it's afternoon tea time! Scones were dry also, the cream wasn't clotted, the jam was cheap, the cake was ok.

Overall, a little disappointing! I would stay here if the cost was £60. per night, but not anything more - it should really brand itself in the right way so that people go along with the right expectations!

Room Tip: Don't pay more than £60 - or stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Richard P, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2011

Thank you for your comments, and I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. I have noted your concerns however and will be addressing them to ensure that the lapses in our service are ironed out and not repeated for future guests. We have a high standard in our hotel which is reflected by our many posative responses, but when issues do occur valuable feedback such as your is important for us to put things right.

Thank you.

Reviewed 5 September 2011

My wife is always on the lookout for a bargain (which is why she married me) and so far this year she has arranged 4 short breaks before spotting an advert for this Hallmark Hotel. It offered what she assured me was a very good deal involving 2 nights B & B plus a cream tea (which was superb) a Tapas 'meal' and a dinner which would have cost about £30.
We occupied rooms 213 and 215 on 2-3/09/2011
The hotel boasted that having taken over from Ramada a year go they had spent £3,000,000 on refurbishments. From bitter experience I know that such claims can be subject to interpretation of what is meant by 'refurbishments'.
Check-in time is 2pm but we arrived at 1030am. My wife had a chat with the very co-operative and friendly receptionist and by 1045 (yes, still am) we had a room.
My cynical thoughts about the meaning of refurbishments were proved to be groundless. The room was very nicely decorated, very clean and furnished with modern furniture including a King size bed and a large wall mounted Flat Screen TV. I was surprised to read one reviewer complaining about noise from other rooms as all the walls seem to be built of very solid brick.
Originally this was a Country Club and Spa and the facilities are all there. These include a lovely pool with a Sauna, a Solarium and a Jacuzzi. There are Tennis and Squash Courts, a Running Track, and a Driving Range. The Gymnasium is crammed with equipment which to the uninitiated (which included me) might have been designed for the Spanish Inquisition. And if that isn't enough to exhaust the fanatical keep fit enthusiast there is a Ski and Snowboard Centre across the road
We had one or two minor niggles but they were soon sorted out by the friendly staff particularly in the dining room.
One facility we had not come across before was appreciated by me as a law abiding citizen. It can sometimes happen that hotel property climbs, unasked, into a guest’s suitcase leaving the guest feeling slightly embarrassed. No such embarrassment at this hotel as the cost of many wandering souvenirs is added to the bill e.g. spoon £3, Cup and Saucer £23. Bedspread £225
I feel that reviews such as this should offer constructive criticism to the management so that they can improve and if I do think of anything I will pass it on..
Finally a word for prospective guests holding a bus-pass.
Request a ground floor room as there is no lift and the stairs do get steeper as the day goes on. ( No! I don't know why, but they do !)
Also I hate driving in a strange town looking for an expensive car park where everyone but me knows where they are going so we leave the car and use the bus . But beware, the Receptionist may tell you that a regular bus service operates 'at the end of the lane'. This is correct but it may not be mentioned that the lane is almost a mile of steep ups and downs.
We would recommend this hotel to our friends and we will certainly be returning when they 'make us an offer we can't refuse'

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind and detailed report on your stay. I am sure many guests will find it most useful, as will we to ensure that our team continue to work hard to give all our guests a really posative experience.

Your time taken putting these comments together is very much appreciated.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

We have just come back from a two night break at the Hallmark Hotel in Gloucester. What a nice clean, tidy and modern hotel. The room was a good size and really clean tidy and modern. The swimming pool was lovely and warm. You do share it with the locals but they were all friendly. Sauna was nice and hot. The breakfast was great and is self service. There is not a great selection of food for Dinner but it was good food. The afternoon cream tea was yummy and a good portion.

1  Thank Pand68
Richard P, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2011

Thank you for choosing our hotel, and we are glad you had a great break.

I shall pass your comments on to the team, and we hope to see you again soon.

Richard Platts

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
#3 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!