“Spa Day Only”

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Spa Day Only”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My friend and I, both over 50, take advantage of many offers for days at various spas. Having now visited in excess of 30 venues we feel we are fairly well placed to review.
The Hallmark Hotel is a low average but in all fairness was very good value at the £17 for 2, including afternoon tea!
The venue itself is a 70's bland, practical building, which is badly signposted en route, and difficult to find.
On entry, the band of receptionists were, obviously, fed up with redirecting people to the "spa" area. They were "over" polite and the smile spoke volumes!
The assistant manager of the spa was extremely enthusiastic and tried very hard to impress the clients and, probably even harder, to impress his staff. With a very loud voice he wanted everyone to know he was the manager. He will mature given time.
We had to ask for a towel and he kindly waived the £1 fee. The pool was a good temperature and the jacuzzi, pleasantly warm. The layout was interesting but dated and only 1 set of steps into a 1.39 metre pool. I could not rest with my feet on the bottom anywhere in the pool.
Although it is mid-summer the changing area outside of the pool, was chilly. The sauna and steam room were adequate.
There is nowhere to spin a wet swimsuit and you need to take a robe. Another lady asked for a robe but it smelled of cooking. The whole area was fairly clean but dated.
The afternoon tea, taken in the restaurant area of the hotel, was well prepared and delicious.
To be a bit picky, the sandwiches had spent a long time in the fridge, but the service was charming.
This was excellent value for the money we paid but I would have been disappointed if I had paid full price.

Room Tip: Have a good look around before you go in.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your detailed feedback. We appreciate any comments left for us that are constructive and help us to improve.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
nottingham
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Because I bought a Bosch washing machine my wife and I qualified for a Virgin experience to the value of £100 so we chose 2 nights in the Cotswolds based at this hotel which is on the east side of Gloucester about 2 miles from the city centre. It is situated right opposite the local dry ski slope and we found it quite easily.Our gift included a room and breakfast for two nights for two people.We arrived on 30th July 2012 and parked in the free car park although the spaces are quite narrow for large cars.We had no trouble checking in and found our room which was down two sets of stairs as there are no lifts in the Hallmark at Gloucester. I believe this is due to the hotel being built on the side of a hill some years ago.Having said that the reception area was very modern with lovely new carpets everywhere and amusing prints on the walls.If one had mobility problems you may have a problem with stairs although I imagine the staff who were always polite and courteous to my wife and would help you.We were in room 29 on the lowest floor which meant that due to the design of the hotel there was no view of any description whatsoever from the window which would only open a couple of inches anyway.This would not bother some clients but personally I do like a view.The room itself was fairly large with a largish bathroom for a hotel and the shower was in the bath and always worked perfectly for us the pressure and water temperature being just dandy.There did not appear to be an extractor fan in the bathroom.Shampoo,shower gel, conditioner annd body lotion of good quality were provided and for us the towels provided were fine. Tea making facilities were grand although I personally use all four little sachets in one cup of coffee therefore I believe ALL hotels and bed and breakfasts should stop skimping on the milk sachets!! The bulbs were all energy bulbs but it was fine for all we required as there were spotlight reading lights on both sides of the bed although one didn't work. ( we never reported this ).Storage was OK for the amount of time we stayed and the bed was very large and comfortable with ample pillows.Wifi and internet is provided but appeared very slow whilst we were there. I needed the password and user name from reception so I thought I would ring "O" but the phone did not work. I went to reception and spoke to an attractive girl named Holly who told me the appropiate words required. I also reported the faulty phone even though I didn't need it and she said she would tell the duty staff. ( 24 hours later the phone still did not work ).Breakfast is of buffet style and is available from 0730 to 0930 and consists of a selection of juices (about 6 flavours) cereals of which there is Special K, Allbran, Cocopops and two weetabix in a packet (think this selection could be improved in a 4 star hotel ). There is bread ready to toast and jam, honey or marmalade available ( lovely jubbly ). Now we come to the problem .................because the breakfast starts at 0730 and we went for ours at 0830 nearly all the items are not really hot enough for an enjoyable breakfast and on my second morning I did not bother with the fry up part of breakfast.The bacon the first morning was cold and the eggs, sausages and hash browns were just warm but not warm enough. Perhaps the catering manager could look into a more efficient way of keeping food at a constant temperature for two hours because the current system, in my opinion, lets this hotel down badly. In a bed and breakfast you must have a comfortable bed in a reasonable room which the Hallmark does but you have to offer a hot english breakfast and for me this just wasn't the case. To sum up this establishment this hotel has decent rooms which are comfortable for a couple of nights but the breakfast experience needs some attention. At present I would not return here because of nearly cold buffet breakfast which is why I have given an average rating.Also I have always food at breakfast in Travelodge much warmer than the Hallmark.Such a shame.

Room Tip: Try to get highest floor but not near Gym which is outside near main door because if you go to a low...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such detailed feedback, it is great to learn that overall you enjoyed your stay and we thank you for the suggestions of where we can improve.

Hallmark Gloucester has two floors of bedrooms that are accessible with no lift.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

A 4 star very well appointed hotel which looks the real business, clean and comfortable, free wifi, a touch of luxuary for a reasonable price, a full health spa and swimming pool on site, free parking and all mod cons. meals pricey and not very flavoursome, I had a Linguine which tasted of nothing really and a steak, passable, the prices for the food were 4 star but the quality was 2 maybe 3 star at a push, shame since this is the only item that lets this hotel down.
the only other thing that suprised me was having had a 3 million pound refit, no air conditioning,the room was very hot and stiffling sticky. overall not to bad though.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your constructive review, it is great that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that you will be back to see us again in the near future.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

My Daughter and Ibooked this day through Groupon as it looked such a nice place on the internet, and indeed first impressions exceeded this. We arrived and were told to go to the Spa which upon arrival they foudn that we hadnt been booked in for our treatments which I only booked on Thursday last week. But the Assistant Manager of the Spa who was very helpful scoured through the book and eventualy found our booking had been written in for Thursday 30th August instead of Monday 30th July but did manage to squeeze us in for our treatments which we were very grateful for. The pool side showers were not working which we understand could not be helped, but the swimming pool was only luke warm and the jucuzzi no warmer. We then went up stairs to the Restaurant for Lunch and after standing at the entrance to the Restaurant for nearly 10 minutes while a member of staff was hoovering the floor ignored us, a member of staff walking by asked us if she could help. When we explained we wanted lunch she said only bar food was available, we were then directed to the freezing cold bar area! We then found a table and after waiting 5 minutes, although we were the only people in the bar, an older female member of staff arrived who took our order and eventually managed (after 5 minutes!) to key into the till what food we had ordered, which unfortunatly didnt all arrive! (What food did arrive was very lovely!) Only to be informed by the member of staff that this wasn't her normal job! We also noticed that the tables were dirty, as was the floor. For a 4* hotel, my Daughter and I were very dissapointed, although the staff down at the leisure facilities were very friendly and helpful, and the therapist was brilliant!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
I am sorry that your visit fell short of your expectations, it is disapointing to learn that a few small mistakes led to you being so disapointed. Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, I do hope that you will contact me directly so that I caninvestigate further.

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

West Lothian
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Stopped on our way home from Cornwall. Hotel was easy to find and check in was quick and simple. Our room was a decent size with lovely soft comfy bed. Spent afternoon in Gloucester sightseeing then came back to relax in the spa. Pool area was spacious and not overly busy.
Our evening meal was included in our booking and we found the food tasty and plentiful. The wine was a bit overpriced but that's to be expected in most hotels.
Breakfast was ok but disappointed you were only brought a cup of coffee as apposed to a pot of the stuff. I had to ask a waitress for another cup, which took about 10 minutes by which I was almost finished my breakfast. That is the one thing I would change, other than that everything else was very good.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your constructive and helpful comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope you will be back to visit us again soon.
exeter
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed here as part of a Wowcher deal which included dinner, bed and breakfast, and two tickets to Berkeley Castle. First impressions were good, arriving at about 4pm on a Saturday afternoon. It turned out there was a wedding going on in the hotel that day, but the check in process was speedy and we barely heard anything from the wedding party other than seeing them in the grounds. Check in was quick and efficient, and we were allocated a room overlooking the gardens - very pleasant. The room was clean, well-decorated and modern, and a lovely size. The bathroom was spotless - there were no complaints that we had about the room.

We took advantage of the 'spa' facilities, however I would say these could definitely do with updating - although there were spa-style loungers it definitely had the feel of a pretty standard swimming pool/leisure centre and I wouldn't have chosen it for a spa break - it looked a little tired and even though there weren't many people using it it still felt a bit crowded. The sauna was lovely but the jacuzzis were no warmer than the main pool. Very pleasant for a quick swim and a sauna, but I probably wouldn't have paid to use it.

Dinner was extremely good value, I expected perhaps a set menu or lots of restrictions as dinner was included in the package price, but we were allowed to have three courses from anything on the menu. Prices seemed to be reasonable although the dessert selection wasn't hugely inspiring. Mussels were extremely good, and my husband had the lamb which practically fell off the bone, it was so tender.

Breakfast was fine, hot and continental although the eggs weren't replaced that quickly so there was some waiting around. This was at a particularly busy time though so I can't say that's a particular complaint.

Overall this hotel was extremely efficient and good quality, particularly for the price paid, and I liked how modern the decor was. I would stay here again if I was in the area.

2 Thank HellsBells2010
Thank you for your balanced feedback, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know how you feel we could improve. I hope you will be back to visit us again in the near future.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2012

me and my wife recently stopped at this hotel the staff were very polite and accomodating to all our needs.The food was excellent both breakfast and evening meal but i dont quite understand the idea of having your meal served on a twisted picec of wood that was a bit to far for me(very difficult to cut steak on a board that wont stop moving). The room was very clean and tidy but i was dissopinted that the double bed was two singles put together and they were very uncomfortable in fact we both came away with back ache.The spa was area was pretty average very small steam room and sauna room no more than 6 or 7 at a time the pool was nice and clean i would probably go as far as saying the hotel is a 4star and the spar a 3star. The hotel is an ideal location for you to stay at if you want to go of to other places such as cheltnham.I would advise people not to have breakfast in bed at an extra cost of £14.50 its really not worth it ours came to us cold. To sum it up nice hotel,plesant staff,great food just an average spar

1 Thank stevetj1976
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thank you for the helpful and constructive comments, I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and I appreciate you taking the time to tell us where we can improve.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#1 of 1 in Down Hatherley
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!