“Terrible Pool and smelly rooms” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hallmark Hotel Gloucester

and 1 more site!
Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
“Terrible Pool and smelly rooms”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

Its Not exactly unclean but would only stay if i had to. Staff is friendly though. The carpets Drive you nuts. Cant belief People really Rated this so positive. My bed was very unconfortable and the Sehers had holes:( the steem room is terrible.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Dachsdude
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Please contact me directly at the hotel as I cannot understand what your comments are relating to? I have recieved no feedback referencing our carpet or smelly rooms, I would like to assist you if possible but need to clearly understand your issue's.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Chepstow, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

This is the 2nd time in as many months, I have stayed at this hotel and can only congratulate the staff on the improvements made in a month. Staff were extremely helpful, nothing was too much trouble, (including changing a tyre for us. (thanks Andy). Rooms were comfortable, and very clean.
We will be going back !

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Vanessa E
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Thank you for posting such a great review, we always hope to exceed our customers expectations and I am pleased to learn on this occasion we were successful. I hope that you will be back to see us again very soon.
Torquay, Devon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed for a long weekend in early October with a toddler & a baby.
We thought the absolute best thing about this hotel was the staff. Everyone, without exception, were friendly, helpful, polite... An absolute pleasure. A real credit to the hotel.
The restaurant was great, nice food & comfortable. Good service, loved it.
We enjoyed some time in the pool which I thought was lovely. Kids loved it.
Overall I think this hotel is really close to being great & we did have a good stay.
The only reason I felt I could not rate it higher than 3 overall was a few things pon the facilities front.

Firstly no lift. With lots of luggage for young children plus a pram to have to keep carrying up & down flights of stairs it was a noticeable absence.
Secondly was our room. We booked a suite to have the extra room for children.
The size of the 'lounge' area of the suite was fantastic. Really big & spacious with two sofa beds that make 2 (small) double beds. Brilliant for children.
However, the rooms we had were just a little tired. I don't think they can have been part of the refurb? Furniture a little bit dated and a bit bland.
And it was just the finishing touches... There was a dead bug on the window sill that looked like it had been there a while & if you lifted up the pillows the sheets didn't reach to the top of the bed & there was an inch or two of mattress on show. A damp patch around one of the legs of a radiator... None of it very drastic but just little things you notice.
Also, we do usually get a fridge in a suite which, with babies & toddlers, is so valuable and this is not offered here. But that said the staff were more than happy to store things for us in the main kitchen fridges. It would just have been nice to have this included in the rooms, there's certainly enough room in the lounge part of the suite.
That's all really, as I say overall we had a good stay & enjoyed our weekend. And I would return if for nothing else the space the suites offered - travelling with children - really was great. I just felt I couldn't rate it any higher when there were a few facilities missing to make it really really great.

• Stayed October 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012 via mobile

I arranged to take my friend for her 40th birthday, after reading some of these reviews I was a little nervous, and as we approached the hotel I was terriffied because the area was not very nice my friend was convinced sat nav had got it wrong...at this point I began feeling ill! This is not the hotels fault and once we saw the hotel we felt much better.
It was a fantastic stay, we had wonderful meals,superb treatments in the spa, comfy room. Brill shower! all staff were great.
I do however agree the pool area could do with looking cleaner but hey I've just booked for 8 people to stay in December and can't wait!

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Thank you for leaving us this great review. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit and we hope to welcome you back very soon.
West Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed for two nights on a business trip. Location not ideal if you need to be close to town centre. Taxis are £10 one way. At first sight, room was large and comfortable. However soon found that it wasn't that great. Very hot although we turned heating down to minimum and windows only opened slightly. Faulty Toilet flush. Pool area fine but, yes, more like a leisure centre than spa.

Nice bar area. Ate at the bar twice, and food was good. The best thing about the hotel by far is its staff. Everyone very pleasant and welcoming, nothing too much trouble.

A good deep clean and attention to detail in rooms/pool area would make a world of difference. But this hotel is +fine for a quick stop over.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank gwdihw
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
I am sorry that you did not have a completely satisfactory stay with us. Thank you for leaving us your feedback, it is always helpful to receive fair and constructive feedback.

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed for my birthday, ordering a bottle of Champagne for the room and it was suggested we have a 'suite' as our 11 year old son was also with us. The area isn't very nice but that isn't the hotels fault.

The hotel has freezing corridors and we had to plug a radiator into our room as it was so cold. The curtain track was plastic and collapsed when we drew the curtains and the sheets of our 2 beds pushed together were ripped in over 6 places. The bed was also itchy.The 'suite' consisted of a normal room with an adjoining large room with hardly any furniture and obviously just a spare room that hadn't been refurbished. My son found it scary.

Dinner was over priced and anything without chips was very small. Breakfast was very nice and the reception staff very good. The pool area needs a good clean.

We did complain and the Manager did adjust the bill but we felt at any price this was too much to pay for a hotel we just couldn't wait to leave. There were so many negatives that it was pointless trying to explain these to the Manager, we just wanted to get home.

Room Tip: Avoid unless you get a very very cheap deal and you literally just need a bed for the night and brea...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 29 September 2012
I apologise that you did not enjoy your stay with us at the Hallmark Gloucester. I did think that we had addressed your concerns, please contact me directly again as we do not like our guests to have a negative lasting impression of us.

I am sorry that you found our corridors cold, it is new feedback for us and we will investigate.

We would have recommended a Suite as these are usually very popular with families, with a separate area for relaxing etc. Obviously we do have alternative rooms available and I do hope that we offered you a choice when you informed us of your disappointment.

Our Suites received a partial refurbishment in 2011, freshly decorated and with new TV, bathroom etc.

Our restaurant is designed to offer great produce and the best value in a very challenging 4 star market, this is a key focus for us at the hotel and we constantly monitor local prices to ensure we are more that competitive.
Worcester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

Had a groupon offer of spa access + afternoon tea and had a great time.

Pro's:
- Staff were all lovely and helpful.
- large-ish free form pool with not 1 but 3 jacuzzi's with varying levels of power
- large jacuzzi really powerful and like having a massage
- Steam room and Sauna are fine
- scones were home made and totally delicious
- other sweets included in the afternoon tea which were also scrummy

Cons:
- changing area was basic (plastic chairs / baby change area was just a stained piece of Formica screwed to the wall in a cubicle with no straps to prevent baby from falling off).
- some of the afternoon tea sandwiches were dry and they didnt seem to be freshly made

We had a lovely afternoon. The pool and spa was relatively quiet, and the afternoon tea very welcome. Good price with the offer so overall we were very happy. Many thanks Hallmark Hotel

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lisap4123
Thank you for the helpful and constructive review. I hope that you will think of us again when you are next in the area
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,052 reviews
The Edward Hotel
The Edward Hotel
#8 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!