“Great Getaway!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
“Great Getaway!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Hallmark Hotel for a weekend Spa break early August as part of the Summer Hotel/Spa package for two... checked into hotel at around 4pm first day, easy check in with lovely, friendly staff. Got to room - was clean, gorgeous decor and photos, nice size tv and extremely clean. Got changed and headed down to the pool for a spot of relaxing.. friendly lady at swimming pool enterance who provided us with towels and told us where we were to get changed into swimming clothes. Lovely large pool area with fancy Jacuzzi bath in centre. Grabbed a comfortable deckchair and headed to Jacuzzi. Lovely and deep - very relaxing and big in size so no worries about being squashed next to people you don't know! Then had a swim, clear waters that didn't smell too much of chlorine! All in all, a lovely pool area to relax in. Headed back to hotel room for a shower, and straight down to dinner. As we had package, dinner wad included - to our suprise, we were able to order from the normal menu and not limited in any way. Chose fishcake and prawn cocktail starters, both had shoulder of lamb for mains and sorbet and apple/blackcurrant crumble as dessert. Every course was mouthwatering! Absolutely delicious. The lamb was the nicest I have ever tasted - meat was juicy and just fell off the bone! Relaxed in room for the night - was a little warm but after asking reception for a fan, it was comfortable. Woke in the morning after sleeping on the most comfortable bed with softer than air pillows, we headed down to breakfast. Fantastic range of breakfast items along with a varied range of various teas - all food was clean and looked appealing and tasted even better! We then went down to spa to have our Back Neck and Shoulder massages. Were booked in for 10am and went straight in - our masseurs introduced themselves and were very friendly and warm. Massage was gorgeous - just the right pressue and was so relaxing! My only complaint would be that it didn't last long enough! .. reluctantly checked out at 11am and staff at reception were once again friendly and approachable. Overall, hotel was clean and comfortable and staff friendly, spa was also clean and relaxing, pool was large - overall stay GREAT value for what you get! Would happily recommend hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway even if only for a day visit! Facilities and staff top notch - can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you for the great write up, it is fantastic to learn that you enjoyed your stay, thank you for taking the time to put this review on, we appreciate the great feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel as a retreat for a stop over on the way back home after a pleasant stay in Cornwall with our little dog. Was under the impression that this was a dog friendly hotel due to it coming up via Internet searches. I double checked this by ringing the hotel 7 days before our stay. Check in was fine although the receptionist spoke very fast and 'script' like! We were keen to relax in our room which overlooked bins and seemed to be near the delivery bay- so to avoid the distress our dog was getting from the noise we thought it would be pleasant to relax in the grounds. Oh how wrong we were-!on being told dogs were not allowed anywhere but the room- which I was quite annoyed with as I'd rather have known this on booking- we thought we could find somewhere at the front of the building- no there was one bench which was occupied by smokers and although there was plenty of grass for the dog to explore we could again not relax. Back to the room and disappointed as we would have spent a lot on drinks. We have reserved a table for dinner, but in a mind to cancel and not pay out more money where we as dog owners do not feel very welcome anywhere in this hotel. but very apprehensive to recommend this for dog lovers or anyone to come here for a relaxing time.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lolligeorge
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
We do allow dogs at the hotel, but not in public areas, this is to ensure none of our guests are disturbed, I am sorry that this was not made clear to you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

Friendly professional service from the staff. I attended a function were the food was tasty and well presented. The fresh coffee for breakfast was nice and Buffet was nicely presented for breakfast. The hotel and bedroom were of a modern style and all clean and well kept. Thank you for an enjoyable stay

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you for the fantastic feedback, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you with us again very soon.
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

I attended a 50th Anniversary Party at the Hallmark Hotel this weekend and thought I had to write and say what a pleasant surprise I had. It had been several years since I had been in this hotel, my oh my was I shocked. The decor was modern, up todate and in trend with todays colours. As we were a little early we went into a air conditioned bar to be greeted by a friendly young lady. Drinks she told us were on the bar and to help our selves. The young girl on the bar was friendly and chatted to us asking if we had come from far a field. I said that I had been at the wedding fifty years ago and this was a surprise for the couple. Around 7-30pm we were asked if we would all like to go into the function room where we were going to eat. This room was beautifully decorated ( I believe by the family) but it was also cool because of the air con. The food came, what can I say, only first class. First class service provided also by the young waitress,( who had also served me on the bar ) A wonderful reunion,meal and evening was had by myself and everyone who attended, I heard lots of very positive comments about the food. I shall not hesitate to reccomend this hotel to every one I know. Thank you Host for a wonderful evening, but thank you Hallmark for making their evening one to remember.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you for the fantastic review, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you back at the hotel in the very near future.
Lydney, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

My friends and I enjoyed a fantastic spa day last Wednesday. The staff were brilliant! Firstly there was the lady who stayed on past her shift to take our coffee and pastries outside in the sunshine for us. Secondly, there was the very attentive and helpful Karina. Finally, there was the professional, welcoming and friendly Becky, nothing was too much trouble for her or the others. We were made to feel like royalty! These staff are a real asset to the company. Great service, lovely facilities, I would recommend to anyone.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thank you for the fantastic feedback, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Have stayed in the Gloucester area a few times and have not noticed this hotel before. I turned up outside and thought oh no! Not the best welcome from the road, but then realised that the hotel was not the building at the entrance. Parked up and walked in and found a very warm welcome from the receptionist. Went to the room and was surprised it all looked brand new! Very impressed at the whole feel, only thing I can complain about is the there was some mould next to the window frame (Rm115). Just needs a quick clean off and literally there would be nothing.
The services such as the TV are fantastic, the WIFI was very slow though. Surprised there was no Air Conditioning, but the window did the job. I would say a nice table fan would be a good addition but at the same time we are talking about England and this hot weather is not normal!
Bathroom was spotless and very good quality fittings.
Nice folder for info in the room but could do with some more info, It said to call a number for room service but no menu? But at the same time was not overly hungry but would have possibly ordered food if there was something there as did not feel like going to the restaurant for a meal.
Would be nice for a couple bottles of water to be in the room.
Good night sleep, very quiet area and a great bed and pillows.
Went for breakfast, great coffee, and seamed to be good quality food . Eggs were there slightly too long as they had gone a little crisp lets say. Would suggest a new toaster as they were very very slow.
I am being very critical with the above, but these minor details not being there it would be a 5* review, and I honestly will stay here again and will recommend to my colleagues.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Thank you for the detailed and constructive review. We hope you will be back to see us again very soon.
ashford kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

Just got home from a 3 night stay here, expectations are generally what decides whether you enjoy your stay or not and our expectations for the hotel were average and our room high, and we were only disappointed with the room. the decor and condition were good however I assumed that being 4 star there would be air conditioning but I was was wrong, we could not sleep on our first night and our 16 month old child really struggled, my wife called reception to be told that all the fans were being used and that they would get us one for the following night, we arrived back on night 2 to find no fan we called reception again to be told the same thing, we then said that we were going to check out as could not go another night with no sleep and within 10 minutes we had a fan. not really the hotels fault I suppose as I should have checked if they had air con or some ventilation system in the room, last negative was that there was no lift down to our floor which meant we were halling strollers etc up and down stairs which meant if my wife who is heavily pregnant wanted to go out with out me to the bar or leave the spa area, she had to rely on another guest helping her up and down stairs with a stroller and cases, I have no doubt alot of money has been spent on this hotel but surely if there is no lift why were the very wide steps that are everywhere not made to be half slope and half stair? would have made our stay alot easier. On a positive note the staff and especially the lady that came with the fan were all very friendly and helpful, the restaurant and bar were very good and the spa area was ok, great steam room and sauna and both were clean as were the changing rooms and showers! the hotel was in a good location for days out driving and visiting attractions but not for anything local, apart from the dry ski slope over the road, would stay here again if I was on business or if we were travelling through the area, but not for more than one night!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank AshfordKentRxs
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your honest and balanced feedback, we do not advertise air conditioning and it is not a four stay requirement but I agree it would be preferable in the current climate. Hope you will be back to see us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,052 reviews
The Edward Hotel
The Edward Hotel
#8 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!