“A New Year's Eve to remember!”

Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“A New Year's Eve to remember!”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My husband and I and two friends booked in for a New Year's Eve package which was to include a "Gala Dinner". The hotel itself is warm and comfortable. The staff are very good. The afternoon tea we had on arrival was excellent as was the breakfast next day. However, the evening got off to a bad start with a champagne reception in a room far too small to accommodate all the guests. By the time the door to the main room was opened, everyone just barged in to get away from the crush. We were seated at round tables of 12 guests and I think too many tables had been put in the room as it seemed very crowded. The starter was poor, the main course worse - individual Beef Wellingtons with very sparse vegetables. Far too much pastry for my liking and no gravy. The sweet was a choux pastry with marsapone cheese - too sickly. The cheese course was also sparse. The noise from the DJ was so bad, we left the room after the cheese course and retired to the bar where it was lovely and quiet. Why he felt he had to keep shouting at us is beyond me. The band was too loud for such a small room. Why people feel that a disco/band has to be so loud as to make conversation impossible is beyond me. We have decided that next year, we will stay at home!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
It is disappointing to learn that you did not enjoy your recent visit to he hotel. Of course it is impossible to cater for everyone's tastes, however I was confident following table checks and the feedback I had received so far that we had exceeded most peoples expectations with our offering in entertainment and with the food.. I am sorry that the evening was not to your liking and I hope that you find something suitable for next year.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I booked this hotel as a weekend getaway for our wedding anniversary and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff couldn't of been more accomadating, the rooms were well dressed and clean, lovely spa facilities and the food was excellent! We both left with a big smile on our faces and will definatly come back.

Room Tip: Mention at check in that your on your wedding anniversary, worked for us!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the great review, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel as a relaxing one night stay, included in our offer we had a 3 course meal, 2 x massage, full use of facilities and breakfast.
From the outside the main entrance looks very nice although the rest of the building lets it down as it looks very tired (also has a building site right next to it!)
The gym has good equipment, pool, hot tub, steam room and sauna is all very nice, although the changing rooms needed cleaning and I didn't like the fact you had to walk past reception in your towel to get to the pool.
While waiting for the therapist to turn up we sat on the sofa outside of the beauty room it stank of damp!!!! The massage we received was of a very poor standard, however the therapist was nice she didn't seem like she knew what she was doing.
The rooms are very nicely decorated and comfortable.
Returning to the room to get ready for meal on the evening the shower was Hardly even Luke warm, we rang reception to complain, they told us somebody would be with us straight away after waiting 15minutes we were forced to ring reception again to then be told we needed to move rooms as there is a problem with water and the manager was coming to talk to us. She finally arrived and told us there had been problems with the water but she was Hardly apologetic, why put us on the bottom floor if there was problems with the water!! Annoying. Although the room we got moved to was nice it was just inconvenient. We did receive a free drink each for our inconvenience but still it's still not good enough for the amount of money we payed.
The 3 course meal we received was great maybe not warm enough but was good.
Breakfast was ok although service was very poor!
Defiantly not a 4 star hotel and we would not return.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Sincere apologies for the issues that you encountered, whilst we can never guarantee that maintenance issues will not occur, I assure you that we take these problems very seriously and regret any shortfall in the experience you expected and we should have delivered.

All of our therapists are qualified to the level required.

We are awarded 4 stars by the AA following our annual unannounced audit, where all aspects of the hotel are taken into account. This is the only standard that we can reasonably work towards.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed here with my partner for 2 days 30 December 2013. From the minute we booked in untill we left all staff was extremely polite and accommodating, thank you Timmi on reception for taking my booking over the phon eand letting us know everything about the hotel. Entrance is lovely, the bar area was very nice. We booked a suite for the 1st night and I have to say if you are travelling with kids this is ideal, I would like to return with my own kids purely for the space and privacy although could do with a few homely touches especially a fridge as its definetly big enough to have one in there. The rooms was spotless big kingsize bed (it was 2 twins together but this wasnt a problem). We had a 3 corse meal on 1st night with our package, there was plenty to choose from on menu and all food was presented lovely which I think is important. There was a 5 course gala dinner on new years eve and although formal dress you didnt have to wear black tie. The DJ and band on the night was spectatular with music for all ages. I would like to mention the young staff which was cleaning up at 2am and was there at breakfast with all smiles which was a credit to the hotel especially the 2 young lads, the forgein girl and the girl with blonde curly hair. There is plenty to do as nice swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam and sauna room. Sunbeds are available as is a big gym and squash court. There is also a ski slope opposite which again is great for children, would I recommend this hotel, defintely Im already planning to go back as plenty to do and all staff very friendly but not in your face Thank you .

Room Tip: Suite if you have kids as very big
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the great review, it is fantastic to learn that you enjoyed your visit. We sincerely hope that you will be back next year so we can welcome in 2015 with you as well!
exeter
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My wife & I have stayed at this hotel six times in the last 2 years, which have included 3 Christmas stays. We were not disappointed it was wonderful as ever!!! What more can I say, the leisure club & swimming pool is brilliant, we spent hours in there on Christmas eve & Christmas Day. The food was 5 star along with the service. The staff were happy to meet everybody's needs.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you for the fantastic review, it is truly appreciated that you continue to support the hotel and we sincerely look forward to you returning to us very soon.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Attended for a work party and although the bar area was nice and welcoming with fires roaring the function room was not big enough for the size of our party and the tables were too close together so you had to squeeze between them.

We had to ask for butter and water jugs to be filled. The main course was a carvery which was very disappointing. The gammon had all gone when we got to be served and considering the fact that there were still four tables of 10 to be served after ours we felt that they hadn't catered correctly. We could help ourselves to carrots, stuffing and potatoes but the remainder of the veg and the gravy were dished up for you and they weren't too generous with their servings either. The meal was not particularly hot and things were missed off plates. Four times we asked for the main meal to be corrected.

Desserts were being served on our table before main courses had finished being eaten and anybody that works in catering will know that you just don't do that. It's poor service and bad manners.

Although local for us, I certainly won't be recommending this place for a function.

Room Tip: Very Disappointing
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rae325
I was very disappointed to receive this review, whilst the choice of the room and catering requirements were not ours to make, I was under the impression that the event was a success and I am sorry that your feedback does not reflect this. I do hope that you will contact me directly so that I can complete a proper investigation into your issues.

Daniel Graham

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Kings Langley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

I went recently for a work do. The hotel itself was good. However the service was miserable, unpolite and unprofessional. We had been waiting about 20 minutes for few bottles of wine and water to arrive to a table ( we were the only one table at restaurant!). Also the waitress could not take the food order right. It was 15 of us and only 13 got the food. 2 of us had to wait a half an hour for missed dinner. Nobody at the hotel smiled ( except the room service). People at reception, waitresses, bartenders were grumpy and miserable!!!! Second night we chose to eat out in town. In overall, our journey in hallmark was very dissappointing and for sure we will not come back there. I don't understand why you have 4 stars?!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Paulina J
Please accept my apologies for where we have erred and can I ask that you contact me directly to discuss these issues as we will take this feedback very seriously. We are awarded four stars following a regular unannounced visit by the AA, taking into account all aspects of the hotel including service.

Daniel Graham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
Hatton Court Hotel
Hatton Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Upton St Leonards

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!