“Excellent spa day”

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Excellent spa day”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Had a great day at the Hallmark Hotel Gloucester using their spa facilities. Large jacuzzi, sauna and steam room allowed plenty of time for relaxation. We then had afternoon tea which was excellent, food was lovely and plenty of it, staff were very friendly and accommodating- we weren't rushed at all we spent 2 hours eating and drinking in the lounge area. Would definitely recommend a visit to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for the great review, it is fantastic to learn you enjoyed your visit and we hope you will be back to see us again very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My friend and I booked a Spa night special break which included 25 minute massage each, 3 course dinner, night stay and breakfast.
I booked the treatment for us both at 4pm on the Saturday, this was booked at least a month in advance. When we arrived at the salon for our treatment we were told that they had tried to get hold of me (which was a lie, as they had both my phone number and email address) but one of us would have to wait until tomorrow at 12pm to have the massage. We witnessed them write it in the diary.
At 11.45am the next day my friend went back down and said I'm booked in for my massage to which the therapist responded you're not in the diary, after saying to her that there was a mess up yesterday and that we saw the other lady put it in the diary, the therapist said come back in 10 minutes I'll get it sorted.
On return 10 minutes later the therapist was no longer on reception as was nobody else. After waiting for a further 10 minutes and still nobody there, my friend asked the other clients that were waiting who said they'd been waiting for an hour already and the lady before that had just gone in her appointment time was 10.30am (it was then 12.15pm).
My friend then went to main reception to which they said they don't know what the hold up is and all they can do it offer a refund for the massage which would be £15, I pointed out the price in the leaflet said £25 to which the receptionist said because you've booked a package it's cheaper but working it out separately meant we'd actually paid more for the package then we would if we had booked everything separately. Turns out remaining calm and friendly got us no where and it wasn't until I raised my voice silently and had a rant that she seemed to listen and happily gave a refund of £25.

Apart from the Beauty Department the rest of the hotel is actually really pleasant and we had a lovely evening meal. Drinks are rather pricey and I've had better breakfasts in Premier Inn hotels but in all fairness it is a nice hotel I'd just advise to avoid disappointment avoid the Beauty Salon.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Mids88
Very disappointing to receive this feedback, it is certainly not acceptable that you did not receive your expected service. I hope you will contact me directly so I can investigate fully and hopefully improve your lasting impression of us.

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Although hotel very nice, swimming pool jacuzzi etc, one negative thing was after staying there a few months back the breakfast is no longer waitress service but buffet. the food was rather dry[eggs like rubber] scrambled egg dry etc. so was a little disappointing as for a tenner i would of got a better breakfast at sainsburys. i presume they are saving money on staff,but that's just my guess.other than that a nice room and huge clean bed.

Room Tip: stayed there twice different rooms both been clean and large bed.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We have always offered a buffet breakfast for all guests. We do plated breakfast if under a certain amount of guests in house, but to reduce our guests waiting times we don't find it practical the rest of the time.
Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

My husband and I we not really planning on doing anything particular for NY, but were persuaded to go all out for the NY gala at Hallmark. We have to say, we had a wonderful time, it was a great party atmosphere, with lots of attention to the menu and decorations. We were welcomed at reception with a lovely smile and our room was very nice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us this great review. We do hope you will be back next New Year if not sooner.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I've stayed here on business and the price is good value with a really nice setting. The appearance of the hotel is very pleasant and they are perhaps limited to modernisation as I assume this is a listed building. The room is comfortable but slightly cold, which matches the staff to be honest. They seem to have a number of employees either on reception or wandering the hotel but 1 waitress for over 50 guests at breakfast! I felt quite sorry for her but as I was on business; I had to leave after waiting 30 minutes for her to take my order and stuck with the continental. I would prefer not to re-visit

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
I am sorry that we did not reach your expectations, I was not aware of any shortfall in staffing provision recently, I hope you will contact me directly so that we can discuss further.

Daniel Graham
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We had a great one night here for New Year's Eve. Although we didn't stay there for the party, it looked like fun.
Again, an easy hotel to find.
Helpful reception staff :) They called us a taxi with no hesitation.
Room was lovely, clean and tidy.
My only complaint about the hotel was the fact that our room had a door which lead into the next room. When my partner tried it, it wouldn't open so we assumed it was locked from both sides. After showering, whilst changing, the door was opened by the people in the next room! Rather embarrassing for both parties (although hilarious too). The hotel weren't too bothered that this had happened, and this would be my only complaint. Some people would be more offended by what happened, I'm just lucky I've got a silly sense of humour !

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Please let me re-iterate my apologies, this was a mistake on our part in not making sure the doors were pulled closed fully. We are very sorry this happened and we hope that you will be back to see us again in the future.
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My husband and I and two friends booked in for a New Year's Eve package which was to include a "Gala Dinner". The hotel itself is warm and comfortable. The staff are very good. The afternoon tea we had on arrival was excellent as was the breakfast next day. However, the evening got off to a bad start with a champagne reception in a room far too small to accommodate all the guests. By the time the door to the main room was opened, everyone just barged in to get away from the crush. We were seated at round tables of 12 guests and I think too many tables had been put in the room as it seemed very crowded. The starter was poor, the main course worse - individual Beef Wellingtons with very sparse vegetables. Far too much pastry for my liking and no gravy. The sweet was a choux pastry with marsapone cheese - too sickly. The cheese course was also sparse. The noise from the DJ was so bad, we left the room after the cheese course and retired to the bar where it was lovely and quiet. Why he felt he had to keep shouting at us is beyond me. The band was too loud for such a small room. Why people feel that a disco/band has to be so loud as to make conversation impossible is beyond me. We have decided that next year, we will stay at home!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
It is disappointing to learn that you did not enjoy your recent visit to he hotel. Of course it is impossible to cater for everyone's tastes, however I was confident following table checks and the feedback I had received so far that we had exceeded most peoples expectations with our offering in entertainment and with the food.. I am sorry that the evening was not to your liking and I hope that you find something suitable for next year.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
The Edward Hotel
The Edward Hotel
#8 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!