“Spa is looking tired”

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Spa is looking tired”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Booked a afternoon spa treat, started well reception all smart but entering in to the spa was very different....locker rooms, showers & toilets have seen much better days, our local leisure centre has smarter facilities but in redemption the staff are fantastic all very helpful & the massage with Ria was the best ever will be going back just for that.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
We do appreciate you taking the time to leave us this constructive feedback. It is good that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Had my 50th Birthday tea party there on the 5th May 2014. They done a great job Emma Harding kept in contact with my husband through the run up to my party, on the day the staff was great we as a party were running late and they had no problem with that, so all went well. A few of us stopped behind and later had a meal which was just perfect even though we had taken a lot of drink on board the staff was great and they laughed along with us as I believe we we did become a little noisy so we were told by the sober one in our party. we then went on to stop the night well the rooms were beautiful and very clean and very quite except for us, and breakfast was great as well . Will use again for any further partys and meals out with stop overs.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this fantastic feedback, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your visit and we really look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Right very mixed reviews for me. We were here for a virgin break with our folks who were celebrating their wedding anniversary. The rooms were stunning, larges beds, great shower, clean tidy, although (in the words of the hotel inspector) no matress cover...Remember folks this is a 4 star.
Evening meal was interesting, 3 of us had the double baked souffle. It was very nice, although I had plastic on the bottom of mine which I raised with the waitress and had no feedback from that at all! I ordered the pork belly which was no longer on the menu, so had to go for the pan fried chicken breast, which to me was tasteless. However, the others had the Salmon and the battered fish and chips. Everyone else enjoyed theirs.
We did think that we had a complimentary bottle of wine for the meal, however that was not the case, when we raised this with the duty manager she did apologise for that, when she found out the special occasion, she did bring us 4 glass of sparkling wine with a strawberry, really good touch!
I would go back to this hotel, the staff were friendly, the place was VERY clean and the sleep was sound! Oh and the breakfast was lovely!!!
Thank you. Pity about the plastic on the souffle and the pork belly!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your helpful and constructive feedback it is always helpful to learn where we have done alongside where we need to improve. I hope that you will all be back to visit us gain in the very near future.
Broadwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I booked to stay here for just one night with my two young daughters, the youngest being just four months. Firstly, this hotel does NOT have access for the disabled or people with young children/strollers. I had to climb two flights of stairs unaided before someone thought to offer to help me!

The room itself was presented well until closer inspection, it was not vacuumed, we had no towels provided and the curtain rings were falling from the fittings in the window. I paid for the ultimate package and did not receive my "vanity case" and the dressing gown provided could easily have cracked in half...that's how hard and brittle it was. It also smelt of chip fat. I'm sorry but four stars? Revolting.
The DVD player did not work, when I told management this he tried to argue with me.

Most of the staff were insincere and sloppy but I will say, the waitress/waiter service was second to none...we had a very pleasant meal that evening. Though sadly I don't know how or why I persevered in staying the night. My daughters were over tired and miserable by the morning.
If it hadn't been an hours travel back by taxi to get home....I really would not have stayed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your recent visit and I am disappointed to read how we far we fell short of our standards, I assure you that this is not how we wish our guests to leave us. We always hope to exceed our guests expectations not fall short of them. I hope that you will contact me directly so that I can investigate your issues in detail and hopefully work to improve your lasting impression of us.

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

england
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Every year a group of us ladies go to a different location, as a week end break. This year it was Gloucester. Not too far from where we live in Wellington Shropshire. It took only 2 hours to get to the hotel. First impressions I thought 'Have we done the right thing', but all that changed when we entered the reception area. We were greeted by a friendly young man who asked us if we had a good journey. When checking in every thing was explained to us in a professional manner, telling us that we could use all the leisure facilities including the pool and gym. Our bedrooms were perfection them selves, beautifully decorated with every thing we could want and even an iron ( that would not be used ) We decided to have a wonder around after unpacking.It was a beautiful day so we ventured out side. We found our selves on an patio and decided to get some drinks and make an afternoon of it. Very pleasant, just what we all wanted. In the evening we booked into the restaurant and service and food were great, Allona looked after us seated at our tables, and a charming waiter came and took our order.Same one what was on reception when we arrived.
Service was quick and food was hot. All of us were full to bursting after a delicious meal. Then to the bar area. Again friendly staff were on hand to serve and chat to us, asking if we had travelled far, and did we enjoy the meal.Then off to bed. A good night sleep in very comfortable bed. Then breakfast, what can I say, hot delicious,plenty of it, again friendly staff, saw some from the night before who reconised us straight away. How lovely to see such friendly, polite staff. People are the first to critise young people, all I can say is come to Gloucester the younger generation here are professional and polite. Customer care must be a top priority at Hallmark, and you certainly got it right.

Room Tip: 0pposite Reception easy access to every thing
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this fantastic review, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your visit and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us very soon.
Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed, 2 nights at the Hallmark Hotel over the May Bank Holiday Weekend a busy period for this very popular hotel. We did find a few problems with the hotel which visitors should be aware of if booking at an equally busy period.
The problems with the room were nothing to do with the busy period, they were: Shower head set too low, I am 6ft 4ins and the showerhead was level with my throat. Also we were on the ground floor and there is no air-conditioning, we knew there was no air-conditioning the problem was that there was no restrictor on the window so we couldn’t leave it open and the room got very hot.
Restaurant: Evening meal, the steak came on a wooden board which was split and the sauce leaked all over the table. A medium rare steak requested was Very rare, the thick cut chips were so thick that they were not cooked. The response from the chef was “I will try and do better next time”. This was then taken to the maître De who took the cost of the steak off the bill.
The breakfast, The Orange Juice, it took three attempts the first morning to get a drink that was drinkable, this reconstructed flavoured water was nothing like orange juice. Coffee, help yourself out of large plastic thermos’ obviously had been prepared a long time ago and was stale.
The staff were very helpful and friendly, the restaurant looked as if it had just been revamped and although at times was very busy you did not feel crowded, it open plan and sitting in the bar was very noisy with the noise of the restaurant. It was a pleasant hotel that needs a few tweaks before it can really class itself as a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Request 1st floor rather than ground floor. The windows have no restrictors so cannot be left open o...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ross B
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this constructive feedback. I am pleased that we had the chance to discuss your issues directly and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Our star rating is given by the AA following an unannounced over night audit, these are the only guidelines we can realistically work towards.
hertfordshire
Reviewed 28 April 2014

When we first pulled up outside the hotel, we were a little disappointed to say the least, it wasn't what we were expecting and the fact that there is a building site next to the hotel should be mentioned as a matter of courtesy when making your booking.

The check in process was smooth and easy and we were pleased with the spacious room we were given.

We were at the hotel for a spa weekend and the spa booking process unfortunately leaves a lot to be desired, after many emails and telephone message to the spa we were led to believe that we had bookings for extra treatments which we were then very disappointed to discover had been allocated to someone else! They were very apologetic about this, but I would question why we were allocated a time only then for it to be have been given away while we made our minds up about what treatments we wanted! However, when we did have treatments, they were lovely and the staff were excellent!

The food on offer was varied and actually very good and special mention must go to the delicious afternoon tea that we enjoyed. The waiting staff were attentive without being intrusive and very helpful.

My only other niggle is the shower in the hotel room which was more of a trickle than a shower and not what you would expect in a 4 star hotel!

With a few minor improvements, I think this hotel could be really very good indeed but we still had a lovely weekend away from it all!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel, we were at the front and had a nice view of the car park!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gen1980
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback, apologies for any short fall you encountered with communication, I hope we managed to sort everything to your expectation. We hope you will come back and visit us again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
Hatton Court Hotel
Hatton Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Upton St Leonards

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!