“Hotel of two halves” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Hotel of two halves”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

A couple of nights here as a business traveller and whilst the venue is ok, it's not enough to attract me back. The nice parts are the bar and restaurant area, less good is the attention to detail and albeit temporary, the building site in the car park.
The rooms are comfortable and tranquile, there are lots of stairs and garish carpet to overcome to reach the ones to the rear - though. The room fittings are a little aged, especially the bathrooms. Wifi is available, but it's patchy and not rapid. The tired looking bathrooms compensate for the more modern dining areas, although the tables and chairs in the bar looked a little tattered and tired. On more than one occasion cutlery and crockery was found to be unclean.
The impact of the housing estate being built right next door was noticeable, with a dir car park and builders vehicles to navigate. Tis will conclude I presume in the summer, but I believe more should be don to shield/screen this area off. I was disappointed by the breakfast, the back and black pudding were burnt/overlooked because they had been left too long in a too hot terrine, the scrambled egg was solid for the same reason and a personal pet hate is that the egg was next to the baked beans, with the inevitable invasion of the bean tra across in to the egg - yuk!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CatterD
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
I regret that we did not reach your expectations but appreciate you taking the time to give us your comprehensive feedback. We do try to ensure that the neighboring building work has no impact on our operation, however we cannot control the actual site works as they are not under the hotels control. We did receive an extensive refurbishment 3 years ago and being the only accredited four star hotel in Gloucester I believe we are still a great product and market leading in this respect. I hope if you return you will let us know your issues before hand and w will work to ensure that your stay is much more enjoyable. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Medway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I swore I would never return to the Hallmark in Gloucester, but time heals - and so do the staff.
Our visit was all together better (apart from one meal which was knocked off the bill after a belated criticism was voiced to the waiter).
We got a good deal on price and that made up for the squeaky floorboards that were worse than the Water's Edge in Torquay.
The hotel is still surrounded by lots of contractors' vehicles, and building work, but there is no impact from it once you are through the doors.
The staff are young, welcoming and enthusiastic, yet professional. Who ever is in charge of their training deserves a pat on the back for successfully melding those characteristics.
Our arrival was met with a glass of buck's fizz from the manager (that's the way to welcome your guests!)
The rooms are sizeable, quiet, and clean.
After unpacking we joined a relative for tea and an early dinner. Apart from the pork ribs that caused complaint, the rest of the meal was very good, particularly the chicken casserole.
What was pretentious was the cups of tea served in the bar. Glass tea pots, real leaf tea, built in strainers and stylish cups could not overcome the basic weakness of the tea. But it was hot.

Room Tip: You might want to have a room looking out on to the adjacent dry ski slope, but rmember it does have...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gl8246
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for the detailed and positive review, we are pleased that you enjoyed this visit and appreciate your feedback, we regret that you did not enjoy the tea, we also offer a further selection of tea's if you ask next time you visit we can show you the full choice to avoid any disappointment.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for two weeks early May 2014. Staff are wonderful and very friendly. Simply couldn't do enough to help.
Rooms very neat & clean but shower in both rooms I had were fairly low pressure and a little disappointing.
Free wifi in all areas of Hotel but the signal is too weak to be usable in some areas/rooms. Used it extensively and it was very fast & reliable.
Breakfast is very good and well worth the extra as there is nothing else nearby.
Ate from the bar menu on several occasions and the food was always very hot and quite good with reasonable pricing.
Isolated location means car or taxi will be required to go anywhere but the Hotels restaurant, but they have a deal with local taxi company that gives you fixed £9 to anywhere in town.
Colleague who used the gym reported it was an excellent facility.

Be careful if pre booking this hotel from booking.com etc. I witnessed a guest being turned away as he could not show the credit card used to make the booking. Apparently the card used for booking was in someone else name and staff are required to see it before checking you in. As the booking was prepaid/non refundable he wasn't a happy camper.

Would recommend this hotel for any length of stay when in Gloucester

Room Tip: Large building works at the spa end of the hotel. Avoid rooms at this end if you want to sleep in
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kipster42
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for the detailed and balanced feedback, it is great that you enjoyed your visit and we hope you will continue to use us when visiting the area.
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

A few points to begin with;
1) cleanliness overall was brilliant but there were 2 points my wife and I spotted; the first being the curtains could've done with a vacuum, when we drew them closed or open you can see dust particles flying off. The other uncleanliness (and in our opinion the most crucial), was the wine display cabinets in the restaurant area. There was a lot of accumulated dust and smear/splash marks on the glass. One would think this as a top priority to be kept clean as it is a decorative/focal point of the restaurant.

2) Room service was meant to take 20 mins for a plate of nachos and 2 burgers, it took double that if not more. And the food was warm not hot and the steak in the steak burger was not nice. When we were done we called reception to have the plates removed, we waited so we can go sleep, no one came(!). So we had to put the trays into a cupboard to try and block off the room getting overpowered with the food/ketchup odours. The next morning before heading off to breakfast we asked the receptionist if she can arrange to have it collected, she said okay but didn't even ask for our room number & no apologies. This made it obvious she had no intention of fulfilling our minor request. When I told her no one came last night to collect our tray I assume it must've been late she replied 'room service is 24 hours'...so why was our tray not collected...? After breakfast we went back to our room, tray had STILL not been collected. The cleaning staff were doing their rounds so we asked if they can have it arranged to be collected and the girls were so lovely and apologetic and went out of their way to stop what they were doing and collect the trays. Such a simple little thing, how did the hotel let it get like this?

3) Spa area. The massage was mediocrely good/okay. I didn't feel relaxed at all because there were girls in the next room talking loud, the door kept creaking and at one point I felt a big draught of cold air come through, and I could hear other therapists taking their clients through the hallway. Sitting in the waiting area whilst my wife got her massage, there was (I assume) hammering going on RIGHT BEHIND ME! I understand the hotel will have some work going on and it's good there's maintenance but why have it going on at valentine's weekend and at a time there will be customers about? The masseuse was lovely and I didn't kick up a fuss because I didn't want to offend/embarrass/upset her.

Overall a generally pleasant stay with a few rough edges. I still don't understand how this hotel got it's AA rating so high and why it is advertised as a spa getaway. Unfortunately it is anything but.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
This is very disappointing feedback, I do wish you had let us know sooner as it is difficult to action these issues months later, but I do hope you will contact me directly so that we can investigate further. We appreciate the even handed feedback and helpful comments, our room service process is for the trays to be left outside the room so that they can be collected without disturbance but I am confused as to why this was not explained, I apologize for this shortfall in our standards and for where else we did not meet your expectations.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Excellent stay at the Hallmark Gloucester hotel. Lovely quiet room although potential to be noisy at the other end of the hotel due to building works. Very friendly staff, always served with a smile. Excellent evening meal in the hotel brasserie, great value for money. Breakfast ok, plenty of food with constant refill so very fresh just not very exciting. Would recommend.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for the balanced review, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your visit and we do hope that you will be back to see us again in the very near future.
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was a lovely clean hotel. Who went out of there way to help. I arrived 4 hours early and with a little bit of a delay managed to accommodate me very well. Unfortunately not a lot of time spent in the hotel through the day but the night was pleasant apart from there was a wedding reception on until 2 in the morning, not much of an issue but could have been pre-warned. Very good gym facilities with the majority of equipment to give you a good workout just before breakfast.Breakfast was slightly pricey but tasted so good. Would most definitely stay here again as overall the experience was a pleasure.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms have a lovely view of the ski-slope for the relaxing evenings.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for the well balanced and helpful feedback, it is great that you enjoyed your visit and we sincerely look forward to you visiting us again in the very near future.
Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I had a lastminute.com voucher for a spa experience and afternoon tea...should have saved my money.
The pool and pool area are old, not clean and smelt funny. The steam room was out of order. The changing rooms were basic and looked like council swimming baths.
Afternoon tea was better, but the cafe are, still was covered in crumbs from breakfast and the service was certainly not with a smile. The whole hotel looked like it needed a good clean, carpets weren't clean and painting, it was really poorly maintained.
Not somewhere I ever hope to visit again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gemma K
I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit to us, I hope you will contact me directly to discuss your points as it is certainly not normal feedback for us. I am realistic that we sadly cannot always exceed expectations, however there should never be any shortfall in cleanliness, so I would appreciate you contacting me so I can further investigate

Daniel Graham

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,053 reviews
The Edward Hotel
The Edward Hotel
#8 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!